1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Better to try and rank for home page, or individual page?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GoMadden, Jun 10, 2010.

Which is a more effective strategy? Trying to get your home page ranked for the top keywords in your niche (as it will likely have the highest native PR and value to search engines), or creating an individual landing page for each keyword and trying to get that page ranked?

I've been assuming that individual pages are the way to go, because you can more highly target a keyword and simply funnel that keyword from your home page to those landing pages... but is this the right way?

GoMadden, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  2. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    It's better to *try* to rank inner pages. I think that in the past few years, people who have been backlinking to their home pages have been getting more and more slack from Google...perhaps not as much with Yahoo, though.

Besides, if your inner pages are related to the home page and have gotten decent promotion, the home page will eventually benefit.

Pixelrage, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  3. ninja_va

ninja_va Peon

Best Answers:
    I would try to rank for BOTH - home page for main k/w and inner landing pages for individual products landing pages.

If you gain enough domain authority(trust), you should be able to achieve both. Best of luck!

ninja_va

ninja_va, Jun 10, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  4. RBSAFE

RBSAFE Peon

Best Answers:
    I would aslo do both, main/top keywords for main page, and inner pages with relevent/secondary keywords, and remember to get link love to inner pages aswell as homepage.

RBSAFE, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  5. sidhu

sidhu Peon

Best Answers:
    Both, for their respective keywords. Write the content for each page for different 'Target Keyword'. Internal back linking of different pages also helps.

sidhu, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  6. joshvelco

joshvelco Peon

Best Answers:
    Homepage. As people are more likely to visit other pages if they get to your index.html . Also, the homepage will be more suited to your niche as a whole rather than a subniche.

joshvelco, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  7. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    home page for major keywords, then inner pages for additional keywords.
    if you have category pages thats important as well.

long tail keywords are also important. traffic from long tail se kw comprises big chunk of the traffic for many websites.

webcosmo, Jun 10, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  8. seanyost

seanyost Peon

Best Answers:
    Anchor text backlinks to both are the best way to go. As you gain related keyword links back to your site your home page will move up the rankings as will your related pages.

seanyost, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  9. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nigel Lew, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  10. shamus

shamus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Long tail keywords for inner pages (such as product/service pages), and your "bread and butter" keywords for the home page. When creating a site with almost any amount of inner pages, you want to make sure you don't neglect those inner pages, as they are all possible "funnels" into your site. Imagine having a fishing boat on a lake - naturally the more lines and hooks you have in the water, the more fish you'll catch over time. Focusing all of your energy on the home page will probably leave a lot of customers/money/conversions on the table because you neglected the majority of your site (which comprises every page except the home page).

That's just my opinion, of course.

shamus, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  11. Kiranraj

Kiranraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think rank for individual pages is better...

Kiranraj, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  12. mjohn19

mjohn19 Peon

Best Answers:
    Fir my opinion, both are the best way to get your site rank higher. But of course it depends on how much the competition there is on your home page keyword. For example, the keyword(s) on your home page is high, better target your inner page then. And using long tail is one way to it.

mjohn19, Dec 6, 2010 IP