1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best ways to monotize a forum?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by jawinn, Mar 11, 2006.

I’d like to know if any, more experienced, forum admins would be willing to share what they have done to monetize their communities. I am currently running adsense (of course) and a few amazon ads. I’m getting good traffic now (several hundred uniques a day) and I want to make sure I have optimized it for profit. Any help is much appreciated.

jawinn, Mar 11, 2006 IP
  2. TheException

TheException Banned

Best Answers:
    You could try intellitxt... I've seen a couple forums using this, I haven't used it myself, but it seems like a good advertising method for monetizing a forum.

TheException, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  3. routed11

routed11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you need ALOT of traffic for intellitxt. It is a good ideal but myself I find it extremely annoying :) It is a decision between annoying your visitor's and supporting the cost associated with the site. You may consider adsense after the first post.

routed11, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  4. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend against any PPC program and any affiliate programs. The click through rate (CTR) for forums is just sooo low, that they dont tend to make much money at all on these campaigns. I've found more success in the past through selling my own ad space on a month by month basis. Text links, banners, buttons, etc...

GTAce, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Subscribers.

I have nearly 250 paid subscribers at one of my sites.

Subscriptions work best with 2k+ members with active posters. Subscriptions should be cheap and you have to offer something to the members for being a subscriber.

RectangleMan, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  6. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, yeah....forgot all about that. Advertising brings in the bulk of my revenue, but I do get a pretty good % from subscriptions - and best of all, these are at very little cost to you, so it is almost like "free" money

GTAce, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  7. jawinn

jawinn Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can you guys give an example of what you offer subscribers?

How long were your forums up before you had a substantial user base and started with subscriptions?

jawinn, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  8. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's what I offer mine - http://www.adminfusion.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311

Nothing special...usually the best reward is simply a new username color and a badge of sorts...Something that they can "show off" to say "look at me, I'm a subscriber and you're not!" It's always good to give them increased usage also, signature space, PM storage, attachments, avatars, etc...but most of this is just bells and whistles. If you've got special features on your forums such as an arcade - increased access there is nice.

As far as when to do it...for the most part, you can't do it too early. If they donate, great, if not, no loss. Just dont shove it down their throats...Dont put "Give me money!" messages all over your forums...If you make it too overwhelming, people will quickly start to think that all you want from them is their money.

GTAce, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  9. TheException

TheException Banned

Best Answers:
    Very well said GTAce.
    Selling your ad space is definately more beneficial all around too. For the buyer of your ad space, they are helping to increase their PR and the exposure of their site, even if clickthrough rate remains lower, while PPC programs don't really accomplish much for anyone.

TheException, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  10. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Really, it all depends on the topic of forum and kind of members you have, also known as "demographics".

This article might help you: Making Money with your vBulletin Forum

Some forums, you can make money selling banner ads, some via selling links. Some forums do well with google adsense, others dont.

Some forums do well selling subscriptions or asking for donations.

It all depends on you and your forum. How "niche" is it, how internet saavy are your members, etc.

joeychgo, Mar 16, 2006 IP
  11. howardhsu

howardhsu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In-text advertising works well within forums. Both Kontera Technologies and Vibrant Media offer this functionality. Sign up for both (if you qualify), then test one against the other.

Because the ads are spaced out through the content, there is more of a chance that the ads will actually get clicks, and thus generate revenue. The problem with AdSense-type ads in this scenario is that they are fixed (as a header, footer, to the side, or as a second post). You will need a dynamic system that can spread itself throughout the content.

Feel free to signup here: https://www.kontera.com/moreinfo.asp?type=1&BD=15 . I don't mean for this to be a solicitation; but if you were going to sign up anyways, I will personally manage your Kontera account.

Best of luck with the other alternatives.

PS - As joeychgo points out, some forums do very well on the donation model... I've personally donated to forums that I use often, so you may want to try that, as well.

howardhsu, Mar 21, 2006 IP