1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best way to get a new site indexed

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by NewComputer, Dec 13, 2004.

I have a new site, that will basically become the parent company to all sites I design, host, SEO etc..., and I am wondering what the best way to get the site listed and indexed would be. Should I link from the current sites that this will be the parent site of. Should I submit to other linking partners that are relevant to the new site. Should I just submit to the SE's the new domain? Just looking for a little advice to get this puppy going.

I always thought that starting with links from high PR sites and working your way down was the best. Maybe vice versa is ideal. What do you think?

NewComputer, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Either or...

The more links the better.

I could help a little.

PM me if you would like a few links. :)

SEbasic, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks O,

I may just do that ;)

One other question that has developed over the last 4 minutes, if I have a .ca and .com site and want the .ca to point at the .com site, what redirect do I use. It is a Linux server with Apache. What is the best for the SE's and what is the best to keep the .ca from being indexed (which has already begun, even with the site not being live).

4. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now, Google indexes new sites very fast, a strong PR 5 link should be enough. All new sites I linked from a PR 5 website got indexed within 12 hours. I use site-wide links to make the deep crawl on the new sites faster.

About redirect, use permanent (301), something like the following line in the htaccess file:
    Redirect permanent / http://www.newdomain.com/
    or
    Redirect 301 / http://www.newdomain.com/

hurricane_sh, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So that is the most effective and SE friendly method? I am not the server admin on this server, so I may have trouble getting this done.

6. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe so, if your domain registrar provides "forward to another domain" function, it's the same. As long as you see the new domain in the browser address bar after you type an old domain.

hurricane_sh, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  7. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not the same, a 302 redirect will also make the pointed-to domain appear in the address bar. If you're running your own server just point the .ca domain to some directory and in that dir put Redirect 301 / http://www.asdf.com in an .htaccess Or, it would be even better to use your httpd.conf but I can't tell you how off the top of my head. Look at the apache docs- that is if you're running apache. If not, you can use php to do a 301 redirect. It's been posted here more than once- check this thread

exam, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  8. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Signup with the coop ad network, its free and gets you lots of backlinks!

stephaneggy, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  9. musiclover

musiclover Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure? I would like to have 'em. :D I Got my first new site. :)

musiclover, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    In my experience the most effective way has been to get incoming links to pages other than the home page, as many as possible from as many sites as possible. The home page should get links from high PR pages. You will be crawled frequently and are most likely to be validated for significant keywords soon!

Blogmaster, Dec 19, 2004 IP
  11. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    Setting up your page links, etc., for maximum effect, especially with google, is obviously a necessity. Getting the bot to your site is another story. The absolute fastest way to do that is to sign up for adsense and put an ad on your site. The very first thing google will do is send the bot over there. If you sign up for froogle or just submit via the submission page it will also work, but they're so slow over there you'll be waiting around a week and a half to hear back from them. The first week my new site was onliine googlebot hit me 3 times. The day I first put the adsense ad on there it hit me over 200 times. When my stuff went live on froogle it got to be even more. I'm getting hit between 200 and 300 times a day now. Any updates I make get picked up fast. This will undoubtedly taper off over time, but for now, as I'm tweaking to get maximum results, it's pretty handy.

Nick

nfzgrld, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  12. jema

jema Peon

Best Answers:
    Just had a look at this ad network idea, and it does seem a far better alternative than other banner exchange systems I have see :)

jema

jema, Dec 24, 2004 IP
  13. barrow

barrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel nothing is better than sweet talking a few webmasters to link your site from PR5 sites or better. Google will index your page in no time.

barrow, Dec 29, 2004 IP