1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best viewed with Firefox.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Chopster, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    Tabbed browsing
    Live bookmarks

Zenith, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I assume you missed the bolded part above in Chopster's question?

minstrel, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  3. MattBeard

MattBeard Peon

Best Answers:
    Only FireFox generally claims to be FireFox when requesting a page - MSIE never does!!

MattBeard, Dec 31, 2005 IP
  4. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    What is tabbed browsing and live bookmarks if they don't help you navigate sites, and the www in general? :rolleyes:

Zenith, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  5. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, also the "find in this page..." in Firefox knocks IE into a cocked hat.

Zenith, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think we get the picture, Zenith. You like Firefox.

I don't. So what? Who really cares?

minstrel, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  7. toughguy

toughguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I feel that a good website should be BROWSER INDEPENDENT..

Thanks,

toughguy, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  8. Chopster

Chopster Peon

Best Answers:
    A webpage is made up of text content, graphics, and clickable links (maybe some java, flash, programming). Are you telling me that Firefox does something magical and makes that page become a virtual reality 3D experience because I'm viewing it with Firefox.

Bottom line, this dork who wants people to use Firefox has no basis for doing so. If he took off the Firefox requirement restriction so that I could view his page in IE, I bet you $1000 bucks that it wouldn't look any different. There would be no less functionality.

And tabbed navigation, isn't this just the same as the task bar, but inside the browser? Maybe I'm just ignorant about all this.

Chopster, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Real CSS 2.0 support is about the only thing me thinks.

T0PS3O, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  10. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't what you're on about to be honest. You asked "Does anyone know of any features in Firefox in default mode that IE doesn't do in default mode? I mean, in regards to navigating and viewing a website." I simply answered your question. I don't give a toss if you use firefox or IE or Lynx.

Zenith, Jan 5, 2006 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The point is, Zenuth, that tabbed browsers and live bookmarks don't do anything to help you navigate a website or navigate the net for that matter. They are simply extras, addons, personal preference items. And I might add extras that not everyone even likes. I like the XP stacked/grouped taskbar for switching between multiple browser windows just fine - I have no burning desire for tabbed browsing, certainly not enough to wait for Firefox to load when IE pops up ready for action virtually instantly.

minstrel, Jan 5, 2006 IP
    Chopster likes this.
  12. Zenith

Zenith Peon

Best Answers:
    It's just a matter of opinion. In my opinion they do. Each to their own Munstrel.

Zenith, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  13. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I hate all the work-arounds I keep having to find to support IE. I can almost see this guy's point...you look at my site with IE, it's going to look like crap because I'm sick of trying to support the POS. I'd rather you think I'm a dork than see how awful this looks in IE's buggy CSS implementation and gain a reputation as a bad designer.

Almost I can see that POv. Then again, I try to see things from all sides.

jimrthy, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  14. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    FF does seem to take forever to load. That's probably why I get so annoyed at sites that pop up a new browser window when I click on something.

jimrthy, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  15. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion the "superior" Firefox is everything except superior or advanced... it takes ages to load displaying at first glance those ugly markers characteristic of IE4 then it never obey your settings when you set it up to use tabas instead of new windows besides the css height bug it has and the lack of options trying to control you instead of make your free as they claim, not to mention the security; they say IE is insecure but I have never heard of microsoft being hacked as Firefox site was twice or criticize those site saying "best viewed with IE", but they have campaigns saying "you are using an evil browser, you need Firefox".

Netscape based in the same Mozilla platform let you specify many features Firefox never includes so that way you have more control over using it, however none of those based in Mozilla are able to display the "cosmetic" effects such as filters or determined css or javascript required in visual oriented sites, gaming communities, virtual worlds, etc.

Furthermore, the tab concept is not a Firefox innovation because since 1999 many browsers such as Katiesoft, Netcaptor, Neoplanet and Nausica among others started developing multi-windows and/or tabbed browsers. By then one in particular had it all, from tabs, search engines, indexing in dept, popup blocker and more which is still my favourite despite of a few bugs: Web Surface 3.0.1, based on Internet Explorer.

So when Microsoft comes to talk about developing a IE.7 tabbed browser, I don't know how they never caught in the fact of the Web Surface existence, in fact still downloadable in its version 4 righ here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Web_SurfACE_d992.html

I hate many things related to Internet Explorer but if I would receive an ultimatum to keep only one browser for the rest of my life I would stick to IE and would plea to take with me Web Surface since it is only a shell, however if not possible I would take Opera which version 8 improved a lot and then Netscape as the third option but never Firefox which only attractive i$ clo$ely Google related :D

Mystique, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  16. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    Ignoring the differences that might be labeled as personal preference (which is a bit humorous because Microsoft would be the first to say the whole product is part of the user experience), Firefox's main advantage to end users is security. IE has traditionally had more security flaws and allowed spyware to be installed on the user's machine. Firefox has had a security flaw of its own on occasion (very rarely critical ones), but for every one you hear about from Firefox it seems there are another five for IE, several of which are critical.

FeelLikeANut, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Of course, the problem with that is that if you design for Firefox and "to hell with IE", on many sites only 10-15% of your visitors will be able to see what a great site you've designed.

I eventually got to that point with older Netscape versions. I used to work hard to try to make a site look at least presentable in NS4.x, which I ket around as a worst case scenario. Eventually, I gave up when I saw the stats for ANY version of Netscape falling, especially older versions. But i wouldn't recommend that strategy for Internet Explorer - like it or not, it still has the lion's share of the market.

That really is a myth, you know. If you look at the stats for 2005, you'll find that Firefox actually had MORE security vulnerabilities than IE. That probably means either (a) IE is getting better or (b) as FF grows in popularity its vulnerabilities are being discovered more frequently.

NOTHING is secure unless the user is secure (and informed).

minstrel, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  18. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    A link to the 2005 stats was posted on another forum yesterday or the day before - unfortunately, the site is having server problems and I can't get the link to retrieve those stats at the moment.

minstrel, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  20. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    Secunia Vulterability report also shows fewer total advisories for FF than IE (FF: 26; IE: 91), as well as fewer that are still unpatched (FF: 3, IE: 26).

http://secunia.com/product/11/
    http://secunia.com/product/4227/

I'm not just looking for numbers that match my position, btw. I googled for "browser security stats". The article I linked to earlier was the first match, and Secunia is the second.