1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best use of <h1> & <h2> tags

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ViciousSummer, Feb 3, 2005.

Okay, I know h1 & h2 tags have been discussed before, but for some reason I couldn't find the threads when searching the forum...

ANY how, what would be the best usage of the H1/H2 tags? A single phrase that includes your keywords? Just your keywords? I've been gettin' all crazy all day and was thinking about making my product titles all H2, would that be over usage? For example: http://www.hustlerpanties.com/products.php?id=1 . Would this be a good/bad/indifferent change (If I did decide to do it, I would bring the size down with css, of course ;) )?

ViciousSummer, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    the H1 and H2 things are still one big mistery to me. I tried many variants, but mostly, just big font, bold titles with as low keywords as possible (got many keywords? make a second page!) seem to do better somehow.

to me google appears to be degrading pages that heavily use those things. I dont work too much with them anymore. I use the page title, and keywords in the text and first 100 words way more than the htags.

Dirkjan, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  3. craige

craige Peon

Best Answers:
    Summer,

Heading tags, 'h1' and 'h2' tags, are used to emphasize keywords. they are a great way to boost importance of your keywords plus they are also given more weight by search engines compared to regularly formatted text or text between bold or strong font tags.

Near the top of your page, you should use your primary keywords in an <H1> header tag. Also use a couple of <H2> tags on your page because they count as well (although not as much as the <H1>.

I also found a link that might help you http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1548

craige, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    In the articles I produce for one 1000+ page site I tend to use the h1 for the subject of the page; not the site, and not the subsection of the site, but what the article is about. Then use the h2 tags, then h3 and h4 as necessary...

SO, I'd be inclined on your Hustler Brand panties page to use "Hustler Brand Panties" as your h1 then "Hustler American Flag Skirt" etc as h2...

I'd want to put the word "panties" in all all the h2 tags, so you'd be well up on "Hustler" + "Panties" for your keywords but it may not read too well having "panties" at the end of every line...

I always ru the URL of the 'finished' page through http://www.ranks.nl/tools/spider.html to see that I'm not under/overdoing it either...

But that's just my humble opinion, someone may have better ideas/experience :D

Can't believe I said "panties" so many times :confused: :p

Lever, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  5. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    Any opinions on the optimum number of words/characters for H1, H2, H3, etc. ?
    How near the top of the page? How effective are headers lower in the page?

-jay

classifieds, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  6. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wow - I had to hit the back button quick before I spent too much time on that website... :D

I could get lost in there....

Well, on a serious note.... I wouldn't recomment using more then one of each...

I believe the best way is:

One H1 on page near top.....

One H2 as page theme header

too many H tags would be unnatural.... ;)

clasione, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    All in a days work for me...haha :D

Yep, I have to agree with you. I suppose it would be too easy if we could make our entire pages H1, pull #1 rankings and call it a day. Oh well, I guess I'll have to keep thinking...:D

ViciousSummer, Feb 4, 2005 IP