1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best tool for Content Management

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by sarpedor, Jul 6, 2009.

Dear everyone!

I have the personal project to build a web site, where users will be able to create "data artefacts" (i.e. article, forum, blogs, video, audio, image, etc.). Each "artefact" will be searchable by other users via key words (e.g. from the words in the title) for viewing and/or edition. Some group functionality would be nice to limit the sharing/editing of artefacts to specific user groups.

I have a solid PHP experience, although unfamiliar with CMS and community "kits". I'm looking for a product that is highly customizable and flexible (many users, many artefacts). I've seen some articles recommending PhpBB and Joomla, whilst others recommend integrating Wordpress MU with a Wiki. Are there any obvious recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.

sarpedor, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want your users creating stuff, it sounds like you need a social networking script or a good forum. If that is the case, I suggest wordpress multiuser or the VBulletin forum.

Vbulletin has a lot of the features that you want built in, and there are a lot of modifications that can extend to just about everything you want. Such as VB has a built in picture gallery and customized profiles. With the video modification add-on, you can have a video gallery.

~kev~, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  3. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've done very close to what you describe with Drupal .

Tearabite, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  4. sarpedor

sarpedor Peon

Best Answers:
    I will go for Drupal, it appears to be the most flexible tools out there provided you know PHP, so I'll start my journey with it. Thanks for your time.

sarpedor, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  5. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You do not need to know any PHP to use Drupal - only if you want to modify it..
    When I started my Drupal site i literally did not even know what PHP was, and now I can hardly even stumble my way around it..

Tearabite, Jul 8, 2009 IP