1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best social networking script?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by flashculture, Jan 3, 2008.

Hi,

Doesn't seem to be a straightforward answer to this.

I'm interested in a social networking script with the following.

1) Bug free
    2) Good support (which doesn't cost a fortune)
    3) I need the look to be completely changable so I can come up with my own designs etc.
    4) Free or paid is fine.

any suggestions?

flashculture, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  2. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    no one has any advice?

flashculture, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  3. OSWebMaster

OSWebMaster Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi there -

Well, you could consider the 2007 winner for the PACKT Publishing prize for "Open Source Social Networking Content Management System." Which script? WordPress (see WordPress.org).

Scott Frangos - Managing Editor, WebHelperMagazine.com

OSWebMaster, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  4. sbtemp

sbtemp Peon

Best Answers:
    There are lots of threads on here about this already...why not do a search for it to go through all the social networking scripts recommended by people?

sbtemp, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  5. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for both the replies.

WordPress is a great script, but its not really flexible enough in the area of social networking for me I think.

I've done a search on here for Social networking scripts, but there doesn't seem to be any good, unbiassed information on what scripts are good/bad. It seem's to me that a lot of people are holding back their opinion's/advice in this area because everyone is seeing social networking as a lucrative area which they don't want to be publicized too much, afraid it will hurt their chances of making money against their competitors.

flashculture, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  6. sbtemp

sbtemp Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok I think I see your point. I think you can get away with building something on Drupal, Ruby on Rails, even Joomla...there are lots of social networks built with these and they look good, really good in fact.

sbtemp, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  7. linsys

linsys Peon

Best Answers:
    Best is a relative word that includes 100s of variables. There are tons of scripts out there, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla etc.. I have a few social networking sites, my latest is Joomla but I would not say its the best, but its the best for what I want to do with it.

linsys, Jan 4, 2008 IP
  8. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opening post I did lay out what criteria I wanted for a social networking script. I'm thinking more along the lines of Dolphin and Skadate, then Joomla. I've used Joomla before and its great for setting up sites quickly with some nice add on's but its not's not really capable of creating a social network like bebo for example with it, because of the lack of really good media uploading/displaying options (video for example, and I could never get seyret to work).

So a dedicated script is what I was interested in, which is why I wondered if anyone here has any unbiassed views on those...

flashculture, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  9. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
  10. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
  11. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    That thread is currently the best there is on that subject. If you read from the beginning you will notice many opinions from professionals and developers. When you reach the end I'm sure you'll have an answer to your question.

Emperor, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  12. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    I read most of it, and it just seemed to be lots of "developers" talking crap about their competitors and talking great about their own software, and I'm not interested in that. I was hoping to hear from users not developers of their software about the pro's and con's of social networking software.

13. PolakPoncho

PolakPoncho Peon

Best Answers:
    Well as long as the world stands the developers will praise their stuff and the competetors will say this is s..t.

I try to use my own eyes and experience looking at demos.

PolakPoncho, Jun 5, 2009 IP
  14. Irene I

Irene I Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello, my name is Irene. I represent SkaDate community and dating script. If you are interested - check out the testimonials by owners of the real live sites powered by SkaDate here http://www.SkaDate.com/testimonials.php
    You can see how these sites look and operate.

Irene I, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  15. RAB99

RAB99 Peon

Best Answers:
    why not take a look at buddypress its run by automatic the same guys who do wordpress and while it's not mature by any means it's pretty fully featured.

RAB99, Oct 7, 2009 IP
  16. anest.baik

anest.baik Peon

Best Answers:
    just my suggestions ->
    wordpress MU with buddypress

it is not bugs 100% free,
    but good support (by documentation), changeable (using theme), and free

anest.baik, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  17. phpNoob

phpNoob Peon

Best Answers:
    I myself am choosing between Dzoic, Phpfox and SE. Dzoic doesn't seem to have a very active community compared to Phpfox and SE I wasn't able to find any community that they run. Good thing about SE is that the design is cute and what's nice with Phpfox is that they're working on a new version that looks really nice compared to their old crappy myspace look-a-like. I like Dzoic because of their admin area.

phpNoob, Oct 8, 2009 IP
  18. AndrewBo

AndrewBo Peon

Best Answers:
    I (although a developer of a dating script) will always recommend: GO CUSTOM. I will not advertise our software, because this advertisement would be false. There is no BEST dating script. All dating scripts are not unique. Yes, abledating has more features than the others, but what of it?

We develop abledating at http://www.abledating.net and have this site also: http://abk-experts.com/
    Here you can order a completely unique solution, not to over-saturate the web with clones of different dating software scripts.

There is only one piece of advice one can give here: GO CUSTOM!!! Get an open source solution and change it until it is unique. Of cource it is easier to do this when you have a script with a lot of features like abledating from the beginning.

But it can be any other software script. Skadate, Boonex, PHPFox, whatever. But make your homework, imagine what you would like your site to look like. And answer one simple quiestion: WHY THE USER WILL USE MY SITE AND NOT ALL THE REST?

AndrewBo, Dec 15, 2009 IP
  19. irishcoder

irishcoder Member

Best Answers:
    has anyone tried http://chameleon.startsocialnetwork.com ?
    looks rather nice but I do not see reviews on this

irishcoder, May 16, 2010 IP
  20. hadibb

hadibb Peon

Best Answers:
    really phpnoob? so which one you finally choosen?

hadibb, Aug 28, 2010 IP