1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Sitemap generator

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by odysseus, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satishtalim

satishtalim Peon

Best Answers:
    satishtalim, May 26, 2007 IP
  2. fancymask

fancymask Peon

Best Answers:
    I downloaded the A1 sitemap generator (trial ), however, i don't know how to use it. Does it come with any manual or tutorials?

fancymask, May 27, 2007 IP
  3. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have written an article about creating your first sitemap for first time users.

There's also a help file (which actually links to above article) with help and background information for many of the options. However, most people won't have to touch the options, defaults are fine for the vast majority of websites.

Should you have feedback or questions, feel free to contact me :)

websitetools, May 27, 2007 IP
  4. smg

smg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have used www.xml-sitemaps.com for the past year and have never had a problem with them. Their fast and easy to use.

smg, May 27, 2007 IP
  5. mjesales

mjesales Peon

Best Answers:
    mjesales, May 28, 2007 IP
  6. biz2bee

biz2bee Peon

Best Answers:
    biz2bee, May 28, 2007 IP
  7. Snoozy

Snoozy Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know which is the best... but my experience is that
    - "online" service to build you 1st sitemap is ok. Now if you have a lot of pages and dynamic site... you will need to update your sitemap quite often... and the online service means a manual procedure to update your site map.

- "PHP procedure", as you imagine I has gone very quickly to this solution. More over, I find some additional procedure to format the show of the sitemap in Internet Explorer and in FireFox. It shows the sitemap as a table, columns are sortable by page names, priorities, modification date, frenquency. In the end, I add some additional conditions in order to automatize the priority on the different type of pages.

This version is hugely improvable but works fine for me.

Here is the sitemap.xml

Here is the PHP code + download of the PHP + Translator.

Snoozy, May 28, 2007 IP
  8. col

col Peon

Best Answers:
    I coded a simple self-updating generator in php. The sitemap is a php file since I wanted it to be updated automatically when I update or add new pages. The only 'problem' is that google seems to be indexing my sitemaps as well...

col, May 28, 2007 IP
  9. atmsky

atmsky Peon

Best Answers:
    I have some special tools do this~~

or

used www.xml-sitemaps.com

atmsky, May 30, 2007 IP
  10. fee

fee Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com
    Code (markup):
    is very slow i dont like it.

fee, May 31, 2007 IP
  11. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually since the priority values can, and are manipulated by the owner of the sitemap, or their agent, the search engines do not give any real weight or consideration to these numbers, and assign their own calculations.

In your writing you stated

However as we know Google does not care much about what we think of ourselves (sites internal links have relatively low value) and is more concerned with how others view our website via the inbound links and citations to our websites. (See Google PageRank)..

The best sitemap generator I have found is located here.

http://www.rorweb.com/

They have a lot of useful tools and information on Resources on Resources....

Sitemap Generator link is in the upper right side of the page

Sem-Advance, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  12. websitetools

Best Answers:
    Yes, and? That does not change priority values in XML sitemaps are meant as an opportunity for the webmaster to tell what he/she finds import. Feel free to check the official protocol page, http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.php

I have yet to come across a single major search engine that has announced support for the ROR extensions of RSS. Checking e.g. Google: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=34654 does not state ROR anywhere. Since you advocate ROR, could you perhaps point me to some documentation from the search engines that they read ROR format?

websitetools, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  13. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You are the person who wrote the article on sitemaps... and you want me to do the research for you.??? Fair enough, the out come is on you.

Lets read Googles own words on the subject.

* Sitemap protocol This is an open-source Google-created protocol in XML format. A Sitemap file that uses the Sitemap protocol can contain a list of URLs for your site, along with useful information about those URLs. You can use the Google Sitemap Generator to create a Sitemap that uses this protocol, or you can create it manually or use a third-party generation tool. Google recommends this protocol, since it's scalable and it enables you to provide specific information to Google about each of your URLs (such as when each page was last modified and which pages have the highest priority).

From RORweb.com

ROR (Resources of a Resource) is a rapidly growing independant XML format for describing any object of your content in a generic fashion, so any search engine can better understand that content. RORweb.com is the official ROR website.

I'm no expert, but even I, with my limited XML knowledge can understand Google reads XML format.

And ROR is an XML format.

Maybe you should read some more before writing about a subject......from this perspective, it seems you're more of a newbie.

Sem-Advance, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  14. websitetools

Best Answers:
    You wrote:
    I tried to convince you by providing you a link to a neutral page with authority. I am quite sure you know that.

You wrote:

Here's what http://www.sitemaps.org says about priority values in XML sitemaps:

You wrote:
    Please provide a link to a major search engine(s) that claims to support ROR.

You wrote:
    There are thousands and yet thousands of protocols using XML. I use XML in lots of my public and private programs. I can assure you that other programs cannot understand my XML files them unless they are programmed to do so.
    XML is Extensible markup language... It means lots of protocols are created for lots of different purpose.

Simplified, parsing is the same across XML documents, but you still have to "know" and "understand" the content to make sense of it. Of course, many protocols when become official for some purpose. Google XML sitemaps, RSS, OpenOffice OpenDocument, XHTML, MathXML (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathML) etc.

You wrote:
    Try download and open this file http://www.rorweb.com/types/rss20/ror.xml in a text editor... Do you see? First two non-comment lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <rss version="2.0" xmlns:ror="http://rorweb.com/0.1/">

An XML file using RSS protocol with ROR extensions. Quote from ror website:

websitetools, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  15. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    I used free site map for google via google account, that is sitemap.xmlecho.org through SourceForge.net. I have their sitemap.php in web-site's folder on my web-hosting.

Can I use XML-Sitemaps.com as well and put it in the same folder? Can two or more site maps exist for the same domain? Can or should I put all sitemaps from XML-Sitemaps.com, including HTML sitemap, sitemap in text format, ROR sitemap, compressed, un-compressed sitemap... or just one of them?

europeunited, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  16. evera

evera Peon

Best Answers:
    evera, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  17. fancymask

fancymask Peon

Best Answers:
    I have problem generating my sitemap for submission. (tried a few suggested tools here but still not working out fine..)
    I am just wondering, what would happen if i don't submit my sitemap to SEs? Would my site be disadvantaged in any ways?

tks

fancymask, Jun 7, 2007 IP
  18. littlebobek

littlebobek Peon

Best Answers:
    littlebobek, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  19. fancymask

fancymask Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a few thousands pages, can auditmypc.com handle it?

fancymask, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  20. thebestsolve.com

thebestsolve.com Peon

Best Answers:
    the easiest on xml-sitemaps.com

thebestsolve.com, Jun 9, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.