1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Shopping Cart?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Brennan, Nov 24, 2007.

1. stealth

stealth Peon

Best Answers:
    the best shopping carts on the net are x-cart and cs-cart... both are excellent but personally i like cs-cart better because of the templates.

stealth, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, and no. You will find its not prudent to post things to solely up your post count.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  3. stealth

stealth Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you on about... i didnt just reply to put my post count up, he asked what we think the best shopping cart is and i gave my answer.

stealth, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  4. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whoa, my bad sir. I apologize. I thought I popped in on the first thread, not page two.

I am sort of exausted, sorry again,

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  5. Code170

Code170 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OSCommerce is the best option

Code170, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  6. midoxonline

midoxonline Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

The Best shopping cart is Paypal. in the paypal we must safe and easy process.

Thanks

Sushil Kumar

midoxonline, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  7. colin104

colin104 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that bundled Joomla and Virtuemart are the best open source ecommerce solution.

colin104, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  8. marinhogomes

marinhogomes Peon

Best Answers:
    I normally prefer open source shopping carts, but the thing about them is that some are really hard to modify the templates like OsCommerce and Magento. I didn't find it easy for a normal guy to design a new site.

marinhogomes, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  9. praesto

praesto Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, i am stuck on OScommerce and i have used it twice. It works pretty nicely the only thing i see about it that i dont like is that i have to add alot of add-ons myself. There are a few things it should come with like Ip-recorder and stuff like that already.

praesto, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  10. vindointernational

vindointernational Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    oscommerce because there is a lot of contributions what you can use to improve your shop.

vindointernational, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  11. shalwan

shalwan Banned

Best Answers:
    shalwan, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  12. colin104

colin104 Peon

Best Answers:
    I did some search on osCommerce vs. Magento comparison and I found three very informative posts by a single person. Make sure to read them to the end.

Magento is way better. I have used OScommerce for 5 years now, I've written contributions and know it quite well. I have switched to Magento.
    Magento separates the html from the php, and uses CSS. No g$% d^*# tables. This makes it far easier to make your site google friendly, and far easier to control how your site looks and far easier to install templates and possible keep your site upgraded. OScommerce is a jumbled mass of html tables and php. Text that appears on a single web page could be spread out over 4 or 5 files. The basic OSCommerce site has very few options and good luck trying to figure out which contributions you need. Magento, is complicated, but has decent documentation, and has all the bells and whistles right out of the box. OSCommerce is so ugly, and takes a lot of work to get to look decent. You can spot an OScommerce site a glance. (good luck, newbie, trying to make significant changes on their infoboxes) Magento looks pretty decent to begin with and just by changing a single CSS file you significantly change the look.

I would like to add to my above comment one simple, yet incredible feature that magento has that makes life a whole lot easier for newbies. If you are new to OSCommerce, you are going to spend many, many hours searching for where stuff is. For example, trying to change the line spacing in a infobox, or how to adjust the position of some image on the front page, or even finding where in the file structure the front page is.

You will do the same in Magento, however, in Magento the documentation tells you how with a few clicks in the admin panel, you can cause the user side, or frontend of the website to appear with labels on every single element where that element can be found in the file structure.

For those of us who have struggled for years to figure out where all the stuff is scattered about in the OScommerce file structure, it is like you've died and gone to heaven, or like some expert shopping cart guru is sitting around constantly hitting the refresh button, waiting to immediately answer your next trivial question (ie 'where can I find X or Y') in a clear, specific, and precise manner .

I spent over 2 weeks working with Magento and have changed m mind about it. I don't like it. Can you say 6,000 files? 200 tables in a database? The empty Magento database is 20 times larger than an empty OSCommerce database. Have you already learned some HTML, CSS and a little php? Well, you are pretty much ready for OSCommerce. But Magento? You have just begun.

Yes, OScommerce is a mismash of php and HTML, but then so what? What I have discovered is that the few days spent stripping tables out of OSCommerce and replacing them with <div> tags with CSS is a far easier task than figuring out Magento. Don't forget, 6000 files.

And yes, the basic OSCommerce cart is ugly and it is an issue figuring out how to install contributions.

In the end, though there is one thing you are not going to change, Magento is slow. And a slow cart loses customers. Look at the showcase sites on Magento, the carts just feel draggy and sticky. You get to the point where you don't want to flip around pages in the site because you know everytime you click a link, you are going to wait.

With OScommerce is snappy, instant page changes. You can change oscommerce's ugliness and lack of features, but you will never make Magento run quick.

colin104, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  13. saraswat

saraswat Guest

Best Answers:
    hi, i am new on this forum and i want to know how can i start my own e-commerce services.
    --
    aad!

saraswat, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  14. CheapSEO

CheapSEO Guest

Best Answers:
    I use Magento Commerce store. now you can decide which one is better for you.

CheapSEO, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  15. colin104

colin104 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you share a link to your store?

colin104, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  16. ballerblocking01

ballerblocking01 Banned

Best Answers:
    I myself like 3dcart

ballerblocking01, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  17. ardianbudi

ardianbudi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you try Prestashop. Simple, Looks preety, and SEO Optimized. I also using this shopping cart to do my business.
    anyway if you need help you can pm me.

ardianbudi, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  18. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends the amount of Products you are going to be offering, whether they are physical or virtual products and if you need to integrate a shipping provider.

For my larger sites I use X-Cart, tons of features, great support, terrific backend, great reports, loads of features
    For my medium sites I use 1shoppingcart, I also use it for my virtual products. This one is a little more tricky to get a hang of and I don't really like the Admin-side backend navigation, but the Newsletter/broadcasting setup on this on is exceptional
    For my smaller sites I use SunShop by TurnKeyWebTools, incredibly easy to customize themes/skins, add products, integrated shippers, virtual products, back-end is very easy to use and navigate

SCLocal, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  19. SilverCake

SilverCake Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    very cool indeed

SilverCake, Aug 25, 2009 IP
  20. bluebenz

bluebenz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but be carefull, best shopping cart is not a guarantee you will make a huge sale,
    I agree with collin104 in this manner..

bluebenz, Aug 25, 2009 IP