1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best server-side programming language

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by selfspirit50, Oct 14, 2006.

I want to study a server-side language, i tried php...
    so can anyone give me in order the best server-side programming language, considering convinience and acceptance.

selfspirit50, Oct 14, 2006 IP
  2. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    This question always only causes the language zealots jump in, each voting for their own.

WHAT do you want to study it FOR? That's the question that would bring you better answers.

subseo, Oct 14, 2006 IP
  3. Morishani

Morishani Peon

Best Answers:
    Each voting for their own,
    But - if you have any knowledge in other programming languages, it will be easier to find out what will be your favorite,

C,JS (and more) syntax match PHP syntax.
    VB,VBs (and more) syntax match ASP,ASP.net syntax.

Morishani, Oct 14, 2006 IP
  4. AdamSee

AdamSee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using C (with an applicable webserver), or similar, as a web language is the defacto standard if you're looking for ultimate speed.

PHP for quick and easy to learn development, low production costs and easy to roll out.
    ASP/.net for people paying for your work, because organisations want it.
    Ruby with Rails for fast application production.

AdamSee, Oct 14, 2006 IP
    subseo likes this.
  5. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    go for php for your own projects but if you're working for a commercial company, go for asp.

daboss, Oct 14, 2006 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I kinda disagree. My evidence is hearsay; from people that actually use ASP and have discovered the benefits of using valid x/html + css. They tell me it is very difficult to make the ASP/.net stack output the desired markup. Additionally, ASP is not particularly portable. I would say don't use it unless forced into it—you're dealing with an existing ASP site or you work for a Windows/ASP house.

In a nutshell, your choices come down to C, PERL, Python, Ruby, or PHP. Each has its pluses and minuses.

You will need to choose based on:
    1. Execution environment.
    2. Performance.
    3. Development difficulty/ease.
    4. Portability.

Except for special projects, where C excels as a stand-alone application, the best bets are the three Ps, PERL, PHP and Python. I don't know enough Python to summarize its features, so that leaves PERL and PHP.

PERL is great at text processing; likely the best there is. Lately, with integration as a module into Apache, it need not run as a CGI, which would slow it a bit. PERL is very C like and development is slower than in PHP, Ruby or Python.

PHP is to my mind the top choice unless there is compelling reason for another development language. It is fast executing, with complete integration with Apache and even IIS. Development is fast and easy, and all common RDBMS APIs are built in. It may not be the best in any one criterium, but it runs at least a close second in all criteria.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  7. penagate

penagate Guest

Best Answers:
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. It is quite hard to produce valid code using ASP.NET, since the production of HTML is delegated to each control, and it still uses a text-based model rather than DOM structure.

A bit misleading: Classic ASP uses VBScript as its language. ASP.NET is a server technology that can be used with any language: most people nowadays use either C# or VB.NET. C# is a "hot" language to know at the moment and skill in it will get you through many doors. But at my place of work, we use ASP.NET with a language most of you have probably never heard of (APL). So it's versatile in that respect, but it still requires IIS and Windows to run stably, and that's a downer for security.

Ruby+Rails is also a technology that's growing rapidly and if you're looking for a modern job then skill in that would be handy. Employers love coders that are up to date.

penagate, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  8. infiniteFX

infiniteFX Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with PHP, it's an easy to use development lanuage but also very powerful with it's interoperability when used with MySQL it's a powerful set of tools that can produce some pretty impressive results, i've always used it from small scale trackers and navigation systems to full database based applications such as directories.

infiniteFX, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  9. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    Guys, you've forgot about Java technologies
    J2EE for complex corporate solution, as fas as secure

intoex, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  10. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Java is more on a par with C/C++. It is very powerful, but is not conducive to fast development, though easier than C. It is a popular language for large scale back end programming.

For general purpose serverside, middle tier work, the PHP, PERL, Ruby and Python scripting languages more often fit the bill than C or Java. Unless you're a programmer, first and foremost, rather than the more common web developer, Java is overkill.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  11. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    php hands down!

1EightT, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  12. sga001

sga001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Java with its servlets

sga001, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  13. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    servlets or jsp?

intoex, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  14. reteep

reteep Active Member

Best Answers:
    ASP.NET for commercial projects! It's the way to go.

reteep, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  15. swirl1980

swirl1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    if money is no object, coldfusion is far easier than any of the above mentioned to get to grips with - and becoming just as powerful!

failing that, php as its free and can do a lot with it!!!

swirl1980, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  16. chris-T33

chris-T33 Peon

Best Answers:
    php or Java [servlet] :)

chris-T33, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  17. coolsaint

coolsaint Banned

Best Answers:
    My favorite is PHP as the best server side Programming language ever invented. Easy and efficient. 80% of the total webhosting in the world support PHP. I think compatibility matters. What do you people say?

coolsaint, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  18. reteep

reteep Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to make money and create real professional web applications ASP.NET is the way to go, see myspace.

reteep, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  19. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    See posts 6 and 7, above. Further, MySpace is a poor example, being overflowing with bad syntax, worse structure and a lack of semantic markup. If that's an argument for ASP.NET, it's a non-starter.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  20. penagate

penagate Guest

Best Answers:
    Language has nothing to do with making money, and professionalism doesn't imply quality.

Making money is more about marketing and successful business strategy than choice of tools.

penagate, Oct 22, 2006 IP