1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best practices to rank well in Yahoo

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Zinho, Feb 27, 2005.

Greetings
    Is there any good resource to read abt how Yahoo builds its ranking and consequently what to optimize/improve on your site?
    I'm mostly interested into what is most effective for Yahoo, because I'm about to publish a new site and I expect some "new site" penalty from Google...so I will get into Yahoo for the first months.
    Thanks in advance

Zinho, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  2. Elee

Elee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You posted an excellent question!

Many of our sites have Excellent (first page) serch term positions in Google, MSN and tothers but barely show in Yahoo. We used to have good positions in Yahoo, but all that changed about two months ago. For the past two months, Yahoo seems to be making adjustments, but none of those adjustments have resulted in us getting our good positons back.

It appears to me that Yahoo relies more on directory listings, which we are listed as a sponsor with two sites, but still don't have good search term positions.

Any ideas or insight into getting good search term positions on Yahoo will be greatly appreciated.

Elee, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  3. lycrafile

lycrafile Peon

Best Answers:
    Im my experience Yahoo weigh on page factors more heavily than the other engines but you still need plenty of inbounds with good anchor text to compete.

I suspect that a Yahoo directory listing wont hurt but i havnt done a study to detirmine if it has a major impact.

lycrafile, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  4. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I was already aware that Yahoo, much more than the other se relies on on-page factors. I was wondering wether these on-page "factors" are the same of Google's like heading tags and the other...
    It would be interesting to understand also keyword density for top ranked pages...to understand what is a good/fair value...http://textalyser.net/ would be a good starting point for this purpose...

Zinho, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience yes, using keywords in page names, header tags, bold/italic text and the body text leads to good rankings. I'd keep the density somewhere a little under 10% to avoide being spammy and then get the inbound links with the keyword in the anchor text. I've got several top 10 rankings with this method.

MattUK, Feb 27, 2005 IP