1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best practice for a starting designer?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by rususorinvick, Feb 24, 2012.

?

What is the best site to showcase a gbegginer's work?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Classic, established site (like envato)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brand new site, few uploaders?

100.0%
    Hi,

I am new to the forum, and to webdesign in general. Only started doing some serious work the last months. I have a couple of months experience, and I am looking to showcase my own work.

Now, I know that there are some great webdesign sharing/purchasing sites, like Envato, but these are really overcrowded with designers, and some of them have been on these sites for years. I'm only starting and would like to get a chance for users to at least see my images, without being bullied over by the big shots, and without having to fork out a lot of money to advertise myself (I'm only a beginner with no real finances).

I got a newsletter the last days, from a site called Creattor.com, asking me to join this bla, bla, new website, where you can share images, but I have never heard about this site, maybe it's a starter site...

What would you guys recommend, should I go with a classic site, like Envato, and hope someone sees my work, or should I go with a new site, but in time become one of the showcased/traditional designers? Could you share your 2 cents?

rususorinvick, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  2. Dove77

Dove77 Member

Best Answers:
    Only you can now what feels best to you... :)
    Don´t be afraid to try something new. What kind of clients are you looking for? BE where they can see your presence online and build a trust in YOU. Brand yourself! Most people still buy these kind of services and productions based on recommendations from friends they trust... (in combination with a showcase, of course)

Dove77, Feb 27, 2012 IP
  3. Ella_Z.

Ella_Z. Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of internships where you can try yourself, however everything depends on your taste.

Ella_Z., Feb 28, 2012 IP
  4. icegin

icegin Peon

Best Answers:
    You could try advertising your services on places like Craiglist and Backpage. If you manage to build up a good client list, you could look at the possibility of creating your own site to showcase/promote your work.

icegin, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  5. rususorinvick

rususorinvick Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you everybody...I decided I'll go with the new site approach, see where that takes me...thank you for your input

rususorinvick, Feb 29, 2012 IP
  6. MelanieT

MelanieT Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It would help if you could show some samples of your work. This way people have a rudimentary idea of your style and would be able to make suggestions wisely. Ultimately, it would be your decision in the end.

MelanieT, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  7. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you work hard then you can get everything.

unknownpray, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  8. rususorinvick

rususorinvick Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, I thought this thread was closed, but thank you for the advice...I am working hard, but sometimes its a question of finding the right place to put your designs. I have since started uploading some of the work I did, and some of the free stuff to the new site (well, not new anymore). You can check it out here.

rususorinvick, Apr 24, 2012 IP
  9. texianmg

texianmg Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "and hope someone sees my work"

Putting yourself out there on sites like Envato, hoping someone finds you and sitting around waiting for the money to roll in is going to make for a long, tiresome wait. Why not actively pursue clients by advertising your services here on DP and other forums; or using micro-gig sites like Fiverr or any of the possible options in the online freelance exchange world to get your foot in the door and get a start on building your own client list. Go for your own domain name and web site. Get a portfolio theme for WordPress or something similar and brainstorm ways to bring visitors to your web site to view your work there.

texianmg, Jul 17, 2012 IP