1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best place to hire a PHP programmer?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by totoros, Dec 30, 2006.

1. kohashi

kohashi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Guru.com I have heard good things about, never actually hired off there though. I would try asking friends to see who they use and if they can recommend, that way you have a higher level of confidence if they have used them in the past as you can see their work and get honest feedback from a trusted source.

kohashi, Jan 12, 2007 IP
  2. volk23

volk23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would suggest elance.com, most of the guys are overseas, will do awesome work for dirt cheap, i've been using it for years

volk23, Jan 13, 2007 IP
  3. techndu

techndu Peon

Best Answers:
    outsource.techndu.com
    Best place to hire quality people as Outsource rate

techndu, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  4. sitemaker

sitemaker Banned

Best Answers:
    sitemaker, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  5. yimplex

yimplex Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a freelance in PHP and want to work from home.Google is the best company that i need.

yimplex, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  6. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    Best place is to ask your buddies who they use or look around on forums and find out who's helping out with the more complicated issues. It never hurts to pay a coder a few bucks and have him quiz a guy you're looking to hire. I've been writing code for almost 12 years now, I'd have no problem running down a guy you're looking at for a few minutes, my work load these days is pretty packed, we're actually working on a full 3d game development project right now, but depending on the size I might be able to have it squeezed in. I used to do rentacoder, god years and years ago. From my experience, it's a place to pick up jobs when you have no skills yet, for less than you'd make waiting tables. I remember taking on a few jobs that paid about $250, took me 2 months, and now I wouldn't take for less than $3k+ these days. It's a great place for programmers to start building a portfolio, but unless something has changed in the last several years (which it may very well have, and a few have urged me to go check it out again and it'll get considered), it's new coders who need experience and who foreign guys who are equivalent but would love $5 for 10 hours of their time ;)

projectshifter, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  7. viperxx

viperxx Peon

Best Answers:
    oDesk.com is the best place IMHO

viperxx, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  8. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    "something has changed in the last several years" it has changed. it become worse.

SEOLinker, Feb 10, 2008 IP
  9. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    haha good to know. 2 of my clients were telling me they actually do have some decent large projects available. My problem years ago was that after I came back very skilled and experienced, everyone was still hiring the idiots without skills because they were cheaper, quality and portfolio aside, so it wasn't remotely worth my time to try and fuck myself over by taking less than I can afford to for my time. Somehow $200 for a project that takes 3 days (and I work 12+ hours a day), was hardly worth it.

10. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    Man I am completed close to 170 jobs there, and do have pretty high rating, anyway I confirm this happens with me often

"everyone was still hiring the idiots without skills because they were cheaper, quality and portfolio aside, so it wasn't remotely worth my time to try and fuck myself over by taking less than I can afford to for my time."

11. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    Just for shits and giggles, I got on, searched, and was about to put a bid on a project. I put in a bid of $2250, which I assumed would be rejected based on that it was on Rent a Coder anyway so they wanted something on a tight budget. Apparently they have this "expert guarantee" thing, and I'm REQUIRED to escrow 15% of my bid in case it doesn't get finished or whatever. Not to mention that the fees that Rent a Coder was going to rape me on was $333.75, so for my bid, I was only going to get $1800 out of it.

First, I'm not about to go spend money to take on a project, that's ridiculous, especially since majority of the contracts (all of my clients over 400$ have contracts)have a 50% down payment. If I actually took no a substantial job from there, I'd be putting up a large portion of my own cash that I can't invest or pay out, and they get to keep a % of regardless for. It's ridicluous, what a fucking joke, no wonder no serious coders are on there!

12. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, besides of 15% fee (how does that sounds ?) that BS expert guarantee ... I've said that more wise to use that money for advertising yourself in more serious places.

13. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. I get upset about losing 3-4% through paypal, but losing 15% before you even get them to send a payment is a joke, and the expert guarantee... hahaha. As a business owner, the thought of giving them money for something I should be paid for, and the thought of giving them 15% of my profit... it's a joke. I pay 15% in taxes, so by giving it to Rent-A-Coder instead, I'm essentially having to pay double taxes. It's laughable at best. I can see why people who are trying to find coders might be interested, but no serious programmer would even joke about going and getting a job on there. I posted one thing today, asking for more information (before I saw any of the other stuff and left the site laughing hysterically), and I stopped getting responses when I told the guy I'd charge $40 an hour, which would probably be a 2-3 hours job tops, for what he wanted done (and hourly sucks anyway, it screws both parties half the time). Whatever, point is that rent a coder sucks ass :p Post on the forums if you really need jobs, fuck freelance, now I remember why I started up my own business and got a solid client base rather than that junk.

projectshifter, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  14. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    I had a project for $1500, buyer was ok at first, and my bid appears at max and 22 bids on the project, he said I am very good and he wants to work with me, but as well found some guy from India for $700 and he is good as well and ask me what I am going to do ? Huh ? Personally what the reason to contact me if I am at max of his budget (I do know that someone may charge $70 probably) and money is all he cares based on his future talk, he probably thought I will going to do job for $600 which is a joke.

SEOLinker, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  15. projectshifter

projectshifter Peon

Best Answers:
    lol but that's how they are, that's the problem. Even taking the % you get robbed of out of the equation, the guys there want the bottom dollar price, period. They don't care the quality, and to them they see it as $ = quality. Why would I pay some guy in the US $2000 when I could pay some guy from India or Romania $90? You get what you pay for, these guys just don't get it. Fortunately there are intelligent people out there who realize this, but most of them are on here or other forums ;) I've got about 3 guys I did work for once (they got my AIM from someone else I did work for), and now I pretty much work full time for just these guys and make more than I could ever imagine off freelance. Most people who are successful and run several sites realize the difference in quality, and would much rather deal with one person who runs all of their stuff, they know their code, they can understand their English, and have someone they can depend on any day they need something. Plus on my end, it's so much nicer dealing with a few clients who I know pay well, pay on time, and aren't total assholes. You'd think if these guys they were hiring were worthwhile, I'd have a whole coding staff of them and pay them bottom dollar... yet I employ native English speakers, although that's secondary to the best coders out there. If I thought that it was worthwhile hiring these guys, I'd have done it long ago, but it's better to be known for quality than just being able to get a bulk mass done for cheap

projectshifter, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  16. SEOLinker

SEOLinker Banned

Best Answers:
    Areas Of Expertise:
    i hav upper hand on different programming languages like c,c++,Java,python,Asp.net.i m also good at web designing , flash ,micro media ,jhoomlaand have adequate knowledge of SQL for database managment.

Resume:
    I am software Enngineer working as a developer for last 4 years.I hav keen interest in gazimos from childhood that is why i opted computer as my carrier.my friend says i m a pc Buff!!!.i am a Member of Advance computing machinery(ACM),NEW YORK.i hav won 3rd position in National level programming contest organised by INTEL INDIA in BANGLORE.i am member of LINUX GROUP by IBM NEW DELHI.iam also a active member of IEEE DELHI.Recently i have presented my paper in international conference on ARTIFICAL INTELLIGENCE in HMV COLLEGE PUNJAB,INDIA

HAHAHAHA, what this guy is looking for on RAC ?:) pc Buff ?:) If all he says is true, he should work in top 500 company, not begging for jobs. But oh well, they deserve each other.

SEOLinker, Feb 11, 2008 IP