1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Online Advertisement Marketplace?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Communisport, Feb 22, 2011.

Hi,

Hope there are some experienced people here with knowledge about similar situations as mine.

We have our own football-game/world and we have a lot of ad impressions on our main site and forums (approx 25.000.000 ad impressions per month). I have been working for several months now trying to find a good way of monetizing on this high number of impressions but it really is very difficult. I have tried so many ad networks that I have lost all hope in finding one that gives us any higher eCPM than Google's Adsense do. Unfortunately also our Adsense eCPM is quite low (0.05$-0.11$). We are also rotating a few other CPM networks that are generating a similar or higher eCPM but they unfortunately have a too low fill rate.

Now, what we would really like to do is sell our ad inventory directly to advertisers in an online marketplace such as buysellads.com. It would really be the best way for us to monetize on this I believe but we have been up and running with buysellads.com for some time now and has only been able to sell a fraction of our ad inventory as you can see here: http://buysellads.com/buy/detail/47703

Please note that I am not looking for another ad network but rather for the best online marketplace (high level of transparency and with a lot of active advertisers looking to buy). So I hope there are some experienced guys in here that can share their experiences with such marketplaces.

Thanks!

Communisport, Feb 22, 2011 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If your site has millions of page views a month, I would suspect you should have advertisers that want to advertise specifically on your site. I would rely less on others to bring advertisers to you, and instead offer advertising to your visitors. I didn't see anywhere on your site that you actually tell people they can advertise on it. Typically the ones visiting your site are also going to be the same demographic for people wanting to advertise on it.

At the very least, I would put a "Advertise Here" link in the footer of your pages with a link to your buysellads.com page.

We also have an advertising marketplace system: http://www.digitalpointads.com/ But it's more based around you having advertisers that want to compete for ad space via bidding.

Either way, you need to TELL your users they can advertise on your site. If you don't tell them, how are they supposed to know?

digitalpoint, Feb 22, 2011 IP
  3. Communisport

Communisport Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your input! We actually have Advertise Here buttons on our site but it really isn't fruitful. I guess our audience (gamers) isn't strong buyers of adspace.

With regards to your question "how advertiser will know if we don't tell them" it is in my opinion just what a good online marketplace should solve. The marketplaces claims being a good support for advertisers looking for ad inventory by supplying different means of matching ad inventory with advertiser needs. So really, what I guess I am looking for is an advertising marketplace that really seems to work, because the few I've tried really doesn't seem to bring advertisers and publishers together in a good way, or maybe it is just our ad inventory that stinks :)

4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well maybe you are telling registered users they can advertise there, but when I go to http://footballidentity.com/ I get redirected to a login page, and no where does it mention you can advertise. Advertisers are going to be people looking for sites to advertise on, but not necessarily registered on it.

So again... I would really think about putting something so it's blatantly obvious to unregistered users that they can advertise on the site. Give unregistered users a giant popup the first time they visit your site or something.

5. Communisport

Communisport Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the pointer! The way you put it makes it really obvious that we should have an advertisement link already on the first page. Have added one simple one at the bottom now but will look at making a more advanced one later on.

Thanks for the input! However, honestly I don't think it will solve our problem but it will definitely not make it worse :p

6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It may not fill all your ad space, but it certainly will fill some. We did something similar here when we opened our in-house ad system a few months ago. Now if you are a non-registered user, and it's your first visit (I don't want to annoy people every visit), you see a slide in box that lets the user know. You can see it in Google cache here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:forums.digitalpoint.com

To date, it's yielded ~525 *paying* advertisers. Some spending just a little, and some spending a lot (some advertisers have spent over $30,000 by themselves). The nice thing about advertising is you get a lot of repeat advertisers, so the revenue grows over time as new advertisers get added to the mix.

Also, why not offer direct advertising with Google AdSense as a filler when you don't have direct sold ads to display? (that's also something we've done here with pretty good success)

7. Communisport

Communisport Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, we are currently using Google Adsense and a few other networks as fillers.