1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Length for an Article

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by JochenVandeVelde, Apr 10, 2007.

?

What is the best length for an article

1. 0-250 words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 250-500 words

50.0%
  3. 500-750 words

35.5%
  4. 750-1000 words

6.5%
  5. 1000-1250 words

4.8%
  6. 1250-1500 words

1.6%
  7. 1500-2000 words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2000+ words

1.6%
  1. articlewriter

articlewriter Guest

Best Answers:
    I really think it depends on the intended purpose of the article. Blog posts should be at least 250 words. Articles for directory submission purposes should be anywhere from 400-600 words. You want an article to really focus on one topic. An article titled "How to Start a Home Business" wouldn't really be a good article because that's such a broad topic, you could never cover all the information adequately and you'd leave readers with unanswered questions.

Once you've narrowed your idea down to something specific (let's say "5 Home Office Supplies You Can't Live Without"), then you should format it so that it's easy to read. Headings, bulleted lists, numbered lists, etc. break up the text and make it easier to skim.

Now, if the purpose of your article is for SEO, there is some information coming out that Yahoo! is giving higher rankings to pages with >1,000 words per page. I would take extra care to break up an article of that length with headings, bold/italics formatting, bullets, numbered lists, and even some images to add visual interest. You've also got to consider your keyword density in crafting an article for SEO purposes - the keywords need to be used naturally, not stuffed into articles. The major search engines are always changing their algorithms and keyword spamming is no longer a viable option for generating top rankings.

articlewriter, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  2. Josiah

Josiah Banned

Best Answers:
    They can be as long as you want as long as you can hold attention...

Be long but not long winded

Josiah

Josiah, Apr 11, 2007 IP
  3. sumbitarticle

sumbitarticle Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would prefer 400 words + as it is the minimum requirement for posting in article diretcories.

sumbitarticle, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  4. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's totally it. A short article is good - if that's all the words you need to get your point across. A longer article is good for more in depth information. I feel the best sites have a mix - unless it's a news site or something.

kh7, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  5. steveyu85

steveyu85 Peon

Best Answers:
    keep the post short and informative. This can avoid the reader from leaving our website

steveyu85, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  6. Flif

Flif Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, articlewriter,

Your post was very useful to me - informative share. You mentioned that blog posts should be at least 250 words. How about their maximum length. I've been an active blogger (hoping to become a professional editor soon), so I am really interested in your expert opinion because I see you are experienced. I've read very diverse opinions about it and my personal opinion (on which I had an argument with a friend of mine these days) is that blog posts should be no longer than 600-700 words. Of course, exclusions are possible depending on the topic, article depth but generally speaking I think 600-700 words are the optimum.:)

Flif, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  7. articlewriter

articlewriter Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Flif:

I generally don't go over 500 words in a blog post because I think the goals of a blog and an article are different. I also think the length should depend on your audience. I know a blogger who sometimes goes on for 1,000 words or more, but I read every word of his posts because he has shown that he has some solid information and interesting opinions to share. He has a lot of traffic and comments, so others seem to think the same way I do.

As an avid blog reader, I myself prefer the posts to be shorter because I'm looking for information daily. One article might be enough to satisfy my curiosity on a subject, but if I am a regular reader of a blog, I want something short and to the point every day.

There's no hard and fast answer to this question - it depends on your audience, the purpose of your blog (AdSense income, building your reputation for a business, selling information products, etc.), and how much information you have to share.

articlewriter, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  8. scriptillusion

scriptillusion Peon

Best Answers:
    500 words is what we go for

scriptillusion, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  9. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Agree, for both readability and SEO purposes 500 is the ideal length

Pat Gael, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  10. articlewriter

articlewriter Guest

Best Answers:
    "The first major difference that jumps out in the Yahoo results is the preference Yahoo's algorithm seems to have for more words on a page. The average number of words on a page for Google was 943 while Yahoo's average words per page in the top 10 was 1305." -- GoRank.com

Found this in my research and thought it would be useful for forum members.

articlewriter, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  11. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    That's the problem, many people want too many words written to get their sites ranked, but how good is this practice for getting returning visitors?

I have written no-sense long articles towards keyword density, as per customers' request. They really don't care how clueless they sound but getting visitors that click on their Adsense after being misled by search engines :rolleyes:

Your Content, Apr 12, 2007 IP
  12. Danny Bourne

Danny Bourne Peon

Best Answers:
    For me the best length is whatever the employer asks for. The shortest was 50 words, the longest 6,000.

Danny Bourne, Apr 14, 2007 IP
  13. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've recently read some articles stating the same, so I'd go for 500 words as an optimum.:rolleyes:

Tiggi, Apr 17, 2007 IP
  14. MrsWrite

MrsWrite Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I voted before I looked at the results. Looks like I'm among the majority. As a reader and writer I prefer 250-500. You can get to the point within that range.

MrsWrite, Apr 19, 2007 IP
  15. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I second the same point of view too.With counted exceptions, articles beyond this lenght are Adsense intensive, meaning lots of keywords with increasing no-sense above 1,000

Mystique, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  16. alstar70

alstar70 Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the topic.
    As the chief editor of article-gems I get to read up to hundred articles a day. I think the ideal word length depends on your target audience and what your goals are. If your trying to educate them maybe you need well over a thousands words. If you just want them to click your link maybe 200 might be enough to convince them they want more.

The length of the article also depends on the topic. A personal experience may take a couple of sentences to relate or even require a series of articles.

Article Content is far more important than length. If you are a good writer people will read to the end of your article no matter its length.

This is one thing in which size is definitely not everything.

alstar70, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  17. sir_round

sir_round Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly speaking I thing that the length counts but it shouldn't be of great importance to the reader or the writer. What matters the most is the content of the article itself. If this article is like a press release it should be aiming at as many people as possible. Thus you'll need to use bullets, grabbing sentences and you have to make your message clear so that many people comprehend it. It should be newsworthy material.

On the other hand if you're writing an article for the 9 legged spider that nobody's heard of , you'll have to write a detailed and explanatory article so that more people get to know the little creature. This will probably make the article longer. Judging by these types of writing one could say that the length varies and depends on the subject and many other things. So focus on the content and the length will come with it.

sir_round, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  18. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's the other side of the topic - at least I see it just like that - when an accent is put on the content and not on the word count. Anyway, in my view, when content quality and word length optimum meet, the result turns out to be more than satisfactory.:)

Tiggi, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  19. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I remember reading a recent report stating that longer articles are going to be valued more for SEO purposes under some Google changes (I don't follow them that closely, and can't remember where I saw that). At the same time, it's been proven repeatedly that readers on the Web simply won't read longer content the majority of the time. So we're seeing a split between articles for readers and articles for SEO.

For readers (which is how you should write as far as I'm concerned), shorter is better, so I'll generally stick to that, with the exceptions possibly being blog posts relying more on personal commentary where personality carries the content more than the content itself sometimes. I'm just going to keep writing for readers. It's what I've done from the start, and it's served me well, and frankly I refuse to stress and change my style b/c something might work better for SEO this week, but be changed by big G during the following one.

If you find yourself writing quality content that's proving to be long (like w/ the spider example above), the best way to handle it is to break the piece into multiple articles, and interlink them. That makes it easier on readers, and gets you more potential pageviews in the long run.

jhmattern, Apr 23, 2007 IP
  20. Creative Copywriting

Creative Copywriting Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO it really depends on what your target audience is. Are you planning on website content or article site content? Typically I find that 450 words is great for places like ezine etc. As for the above post, I can guarantee that SE's are loving articles right now as I have seen the results firsthand. Longer website content is a bit tricker. I have found that a typical page encompassing everything that's necessary to convey the point really depends on the page topic. I could go on at length on this topic as it is something i run up against daily.

Christian
    Creative Copywriting

Creative Copywriting, Apr 23, 2007 IP