1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best IDE to make a custom Wordpress theme?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by mqs1000, Jun 13, 2013.

I want to shy away from using buyable Wordpress themes and I'd like to attempt to make a custom one myself. Looking for a good text editor to use. I think I can do better than Notepad++. I have Visual Studio but I think that's geared more for web apps and .net. Any ideas?

mqs1000, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say any text editor with a good feature set is all you need. What features would you want in your editor? What features do you require that Notepad++ doesn't provide?

At the risk of being labeled 'Old School', my choice is Emacs, primarily because I've been using it for 15 years or so and it has never been unable to do what I required of it. It is a plus that it runs on just about any platform you've ever heard of and a potload that you haven't. The manual (linked above) will give you an idea of its feature set. The PDF version runs nearly 900 pages; there are a lot of features.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 13, 2013 IP
    deathshadow likes this.
  3. jamjar919

jamjar919 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use Sublime Text 2 before switching to Notepad++. You might like that better, I don't know. I hear they're bringing out version three, so I'd watch that space for updates.

jamjar919, Jun 13, 2013 IP
  4. Keltichiro

Keltichiro Member

Best Answers:
    Egads! Emacs! I didn't even know that was still alive. Glad to see it is.

Notepad++ is pretty good, as is Visual Studio. I'm currently tinkering with WebMatrix and I'm liking it. I've got a few templates that I can run with and get rolling with a bit of a framework pretty quickly.

Before that I was using Dreamweaver CS6....which I liked, I had a lot of handy tools nearby, such as my FTP, debugging etc, (Nope, I never used the WYSIWYG side!) The only drawback (personally) to Dreamweaver is the price...WebMatrix is free, Emacs as well.

A few of my instructors swore by TextWrangler and SublimeText (Those are both Mac, I believe.)

There's also Notepad. Where we all started. Debugging is a pain though :p

Keltichiro, Jun 16, 2013 IP
  5. vikaskumarbhardwaj

vikaskumarbhardwaj Banned

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hi, I have used multiple text editors like notepad++, e editor and many more.
    Finally i started developing wordpress themes and plugins and when i came to default functions and auto suggest non of these editors help me out.
    So I moved upto netbeans which is free and most efficient when handling projects, auto suggests and php error handling.

vikaskumarbhardwaj, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  6. geerku

geerku Peon

Best Answers:
    think so,There's also Notepad. Where we all started. Debugging is a pain though [​IMG]

geerku, Jun 21, 2013 IP
  7. iulian.pw

iulian.pw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try Sublime Text, install Sublime Package Control and then install the Wordpress packages from Package Control.

iulian.pw, Jun 22, 2013 IP
  8. homer7

homer7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sublime text 2 + some useful packages for wp development is a perfect environment for me

homer7, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hah! Not much of a hacker, are you? ;) Real Coders® use Emacs.

I mentioned that Emacs has never let me down. I have tried other text editors, including your Notepad++ and similar "improved" Notepad editors. There was always some feature missing. I absolutely abhor overly helpful editors; drag and drop crap belongs in its own special pit in hell.

I especially like that I can run a terminal from within Emacs and all that implies. If you work with other coders, you know the importance of a concurrent version control system. Emacs lets you check out and commit right from within. Conflicts? Open talk in Emacs and hash it out with the other coder.

Wondering about accessibility? Emacspeak is an audio desktop, closely integrated with Emacs, and like Emacs is free.

I can't, or haven't yet imagined where I would find something I needed that Emacs can't provide. Emacs is open source, and it's written in ELisp, Emacs's dialect of Lisp, a simple language to modify to your needs. for example, I wanted to change some things in the html-helper-mode. Not a problem, open the hhm file, edit a few things, and I was good to go.

Just to add to the fun, many hackers have added fun diversions to run from within Emacs. Here, from the manual:
    So, try Emacs again or anew. Once you get the basics down, I think you will find your productivity has increased, unless you spend too much time with the doctor. Don't forget there are certain bragging rights that accrue to the Emacs user.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  10. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    All that, and I forgot to hit on one of the more important features; not tabbed buffers, but multiple windows open within the single instance of Emacs. And, if you're on a modern OS (iow, not Windows) you can have multiple users and displays share the same Emacs session; the ultimate in collaborative coding.

I've attached an x-window-dump of Emacs open in an xterminal window, showing seven active windows open. I wouldn't normally have but three or four visible at a time, especially on a lap-top, but then I'm in demonstration mode. :)
    emacs.gif
    cheers,

gary

kk5st, Jun 29, 2013 IP
  11. mehedihasan

mehedihasan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    dear bro , i think you can usa Dreamweaver , me also use this software

mehedihasan, Jan 16, 2014 IP
  12. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The best tool exists between your ears -- if you feel the 'need' for anything more than notepad++, win32pad, Flo's Notepad2, or any other simple flat text editor, you're probably doing things ALL WRONG.

Though you said that the moment you mentioned turdpress. (Not a fan, particularly the asshat craptastic markup it shoves down your throat regardless of what you do in the theme...)

deathshadow, Jan 16, 2014 IP