1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best HTML editor

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by alexei_aus, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Pinoguin

Pinoguin Peon

Best Answers:
    vim ;-) or vi

Pinoguin, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  2. ecreate

ecreate Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't believe how many people say "Notepad". If you're a serious programmer, you'll use Notepad++ or something similar.

ecreate, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  3. soulscratch

soulscratch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously. You're probably 2-5x slower than a person who uses a medium to advanced text editor such as Notepad++ if you're still using Notepad.

soulscratch, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  4. brainstormingin

brainstormingin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Very true. I cant imagine coding a large website in notepad !! There will be so many nesting problems. Keeping track of CSS stuff will be very difficult as well. Besides There is no point writing so much code manually when that can be done in a click of a mouse. Its pure waste of time.
    I use DreamWeaver both for writing and editing. I usually use Notepad++ for editing and writing php. Any mid level Html editor is much better than notepad.

brainstormingin, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oddly enough too much 'functionality' gets in my way - it's why I use win32pad which is fairly minimalist, much closer to the original notepad. All it really adds is line numbers and an actually useful status bar.

I really do find a LOT of the so called 'helpful' features of editors like notepad++ and editplus actually get in my way.

Tabbed editing - useless when you can't turn it off if you actually know how to use the taskbar and/or alt-tab, and are running multiple displays large enough you can have all your source files open and visible on different displays. Fine when working on one crappy little 14" CRT - actually slows you down and gets in the way when you have a development workstation.

Color highlighting - for something that's supposed to make code easier to read, this acid induced color trip just makes the document HARDER to read AND makes people lazy about actually using the tab key properly.

Autocompletion - NEVER puts it where I want it, often adds it incorrectly in the wrong place, and I spend more time going back to fix the autocompletion than it could EVER save me when it comes to writing code.

Menus - so large they don't even fit a single line at 800 pixels wide or less decreasing the available screen space - so useful when viewing multiple documents.

But then I've been programming for close to three decades now, the first thing approaching a 'real' text editor I ever used being WordMaster (predecessor to WordStar - and people wonder why I call vi pathetic) - all this new fangled nonsense that just lets people be lazy and prevents them from learning how to type, cleanly format code, etc, etc...

You learn to do it without the crutches, you WILL be faster.

deathshadow, Oct 10, 2007 IP