1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Hosting for High Traffic Site

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by twotango, Sep 19, 2010.

1. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    its not the hw setup...its the actual management. what you got in your $20 vps?

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  2. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    @ApocalypseXL

Ok I see. Well it's just I want to find our how deep he will go with their non-sense :) They all do not oversell. :) Thanks ApocalypseXL, but well that is the bad thing if you want to generously help people and they just talk real rubbish...

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  3. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    40,000 uniques on a VPS is easy, but that depends on your server/VPS specs. If you're looking at low-end VPS companies then you're not going to get much out of them, but find a company who can configure you a unique VPS - even a clustered one - for a reasonable amount of money.

The problem is people think of VPSs with 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB or even 4096MB of RAM, and if you're lucky a couple of virtual CPUs. These are all really only low-end VPSs.

How about a VPS with 32GB or 64GB of RAM, 12 logical and virtual CPUs per node, RAID 10 or RAID50 Drives, with hardware RAID controllers, and then clustered to provide 100% uptime with redundant network switches and routers, and a redundant SAN. It wouldn't be cheap, but it might work out cheaper than several Dedicated servers over various DC's operating round-robin DNS.

The point is a VPS isn't a "middle ground" between shared hosting and dedicated servers. It's a solution that lends itself to many situations and provides a lot flexibility and features that were difficult to implement with dedicated servers. It's a fabulous technology that might be ideal for the OP in the circumstances they find themselves in. An off-the-shelf VPS isn't going to cut it, and they need to find a host who is flexible and experienced enough to build this kind of system.

It's true there is a lot of shameless self-promotion and offers being made that are specifically against the site rules, but I agre with Casius et all, a $20 VPS is a joke. Get your budget in place and contact some GOOD hosting companies, explain what you want to achieve, and see if they can help you out. If they offer their standard wares you know to walk away. It might cost some bucks, but probably not as much as you think.

RonBrown, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  4. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Since the minimum revenue from a website of that magnitude is 80 USD per day it's illogical to get anything but a dedicated server .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  5. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I think the problem about this kind of stuff like choosing VPS or dedi will be too complicated to ask and get some decent advice in the busy forum. I guess its better to read something like what was bad about those providers or similar...If we will take a close look to the things like web hosting reviews (SCAM), forum posting (SCAM), blog reviews (SCAM)...you name it.

So, I guess for some really solution you just go to like good known DC and ask them for the solution in this case you will pay more what will get quality. I am not saying that you will not get the quality from some of VPS providers some of them truly good.

I remember once then some of the company offered me to become their VPS resellers so I just had a good laugh. How can I recommend the product that I can;t make it any guarantee about it. I mean that most of the services are resellers and what guarantees they give is really just a marketing and restriction policy. For example you have your reseller account and the main provider goes down...Where will be your guarantees?

So to summarize my story I end up getting a datacenter in Frankfurt, Germany, fitted with decent racks and SAN, sattelite storage and everything what it takes to provide good VPS hosting.

So in my oppinion this reseller is lucky if he knows marketing well. I mean knows how to sell the product and no matter what ways.
    That is today's internet without any excuse...In another why not any of the big guys providing DCs do give a **** about how their provided product is sold. This means that that with is endless story without the end :)

Hope I have explain my opinion..guys this is just my personal opinion. Please other VPS providers do not be mad on me :D

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  6. twotango

twotango Peon

Best Answers:
    Well... Some people have sent me PM regarding this thread of mine. They offer me their host services. But sorry guys, it's not about cheap price. I'm not looking for the best host with the cheapest at the same time. How can I move to a $20 host from a $174 host that can't handle my site load?

So I decide to look over Softlayer. They offer a higher price but with a reasonable CPU configuration.

Thanks for all of you guys. I learn much from this thread. Bye.

twotango, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  7. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    You have done the right decision. That is really annoying thing that people try to get the customer with any ways.

I guys if you do not have marketing plan or your marketing is community forum that would be really bad marketing :)

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  8. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's no point in getting angry about it. It's going to continue to happen and some people will take business at any price or promise the undeliverable just to make a buck or two.

You have better things to do than let it get to you. Just ignore them. Bottom feeders rarely rise to the surface and shouldn't concern you at all.

RonBrown, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  9. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    @RonBrown

You probably right :) well the most important thing about forum activity that some people thing that they will get something profitable posting spammy ads.

casius, Sep 23, 2010 IP