1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Hosting for High Traffic Site

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by twotango, Sep 19, 2010.

Hi,

I have a high traffic site that can reach 40,000 unique visitors a day. Now I use Hostgator's Basic Dedicated Server plan costs $174 a month (I only test for a month ahead) but my site became error again after 2 days. Previously I hosted in Bluehost.

I have one month time to look for another hosting for my high traffic site of mine. If you guys ever had a problem like me and already found solutions, please help me.

Thanks before.

Best regards,
    Erick

twotango, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  2. Georgio

Georgio Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should get a vps at rackbyte.com & a cpanel or so, it's amazing.. & hostgator is not the best option.

Georgio, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  3. mentos

mentos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Shared hosting able to handle it?

mentos, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  4. SeedingTorrents

SeedingTorrents Active Member

Best Answers:
    get a linode vps

SeedingTorrents, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  5. [HB]Rob

[HB]Rob Peon

Best Answers:
    Shared hosting will not be able to handle this kind of traffic, so you're definitely in need of a good dedicated server... now it depends on your budget, but SoftLayer is one of the best server providers out there at this time, but they are pricey... also you can look into ServInt, they offer good VPSs and Servers at really nice prices.

Now as I mentioned above, it all depends on your budget and server needs, you need more CPU power or more RAM? and how about space and bandwidth needs?

With more details we can figure out your exact needs and we can point you into the right direction.

[HB]Rob, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  6. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm having a similar problem but whit far less visitors . My main website is approaching the bandwidth limit of it's dedicated and rather then going the ye old fashion way of forking out more money for a even bigger dedi i want to implement cluster hosting .

And instead of letting one fat ass company take all the cash I was thinking of getting more dedis and putting the DNS to work . So by having 4-5 dedis holding clones of the website i could have more bandwidth and even better uptime .

My only problem is that i have no idea of how to make the DNS to split the traffic so each server gets his daily meal . I have done quite a bit of research regarding cluster hosting but i didn't quite find the answers . I was also thinking of (geo splitting)sending the users to a host closer to their door (EU to EU , US to US , Japan to Japan) rather then having the man in Japan sent to server in Germany .

So what's your experience whit this type of hosting and how hard would it be to implement ?

ApocalypseXL, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  7. anands

anands Active Member

Best Answers:
    Get a VPS from zoomvps.com

anands, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  8. jasonbdavis

jasonbdavis Peon

Best Answers:
    Please don't waste your money on a dedicated server unless you're running a lot of client side sites as well as a lot of personal sites. It's a ridiculous waste of money. Dedicated servers are meant for multiple websites plus you have to manage on your own with no technical support regardless on company. I have my own hosting company, running cloud hosting, 100% GUARANTEED UP TIME. Never down, The Best Support Directly From The Linux Engineers unlimited sites, 100 of emails. If you're really serious about knowing how you can get it all for $20 PM Me.

jasonbdavis, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  9. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. IMO look elsewhere.

micksss, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  10. GURU4SEO

GURU4SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    find vps plans at vpsland . com

GURU4SEO, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  11. SiberForum

SiberForum Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have VPS or dedicated server I suppose that would be one of the best solution for this.

SiberForum, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  12. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately if you look at the posts many post could be some kind of shameless self promotion , and the problem seems to affect the entire section .

Anyway I have decided that the solution for now is to implement a round robin using multiple dedis . I'm currently researching the matter to get more information but it seems that this can be a viable solution for a high traffic website .

One step further lies splitting the website so it's architecture will be supported by multiple servers , this method is the one used by giant websites and AFAIK is the one that can handle nearly an infinite amount of traffic . Nevertheless this method might be difficult to apply for multiple websites or for people lacking the knowledge .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  13. torrfriend

torrfriend Active Member

Best Answers:
    choose top Branded hosting companies.........

some are
    True Unmetered Bandwidth with good support

1) choose unmetered dedicated server from FDcserver - If you need unlimited(it is best if you have most of your visitor in US)
    2)choose unmetered dedicated server from Leaseweb - Yes unlimited burst speed - Its offshore so NO limit of warez linking(100% quality like US top server - but Datacenter(DC)in netherland and germany)

torrfriend, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  14. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    Gosh guys

What kind of VPS will help to that guy??? You need at least dedicated server in the decent data center, but not reseller, etc. I am not sure how your existing solution is sufficient for you. Firstly you should work out your logs and review them carefully (the access ones). After you will determinate how much of bandwidth you consume you will be able to determinate what network connection you need. That is totally wrong to have unmetered bandwidth as the connection to your unmetered bandwodth can be limited, so you can do anything you want, but the largest amoung like for 1Mbps you will consume 320GB of bandwdith, etc.
    Another thing you should need at least 4MB of ram and Quad Core Intel (AMD no good) CPU. Also consider getting more HDD as it is hardly replaceable. Also you can thing about Cloud stuff that is easy to manage and very easy to assign the resources as some may be required in the future. Cloud is much expensive solution, but if the cloud provider do not share your CPU core with others you will be ok ;)
    And so on and so forth...

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  15. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    @jasonbdavis

How do you guarantee your 100% for $20...Ok let me ask you what switches and what Uplinks do you use and also what management os do you run on your cloud solution? I have free web hosting and VPS hosting provided, but I never seen that 40K unique visitors can be handled with $20 solution...No offense :)

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  16. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    @casius In case you didn't realized most of the post on this thread are nothing more then shameless advertising masked as legit posts .

After some serous documenting I've realized that you have two options round robin or split the website on multiple dedis .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  17. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it's kinda spammers are getting smart? Or we should name like a tricky marketing stuff that is useless anyway...

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  18. tsak

tsak Member

Best Answers:
    Go for a vps .. It will be better than a shared hosting .. I used to have vps at accuratehub .com .. They have great support and they dont oversell :D

tsak, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  19. casius

casius Peon

Best Answers:
    Stop joking with such a things like not overselling...Let me ask you and how much do you pay for your not oversold VPS? :D

casius, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  20. tsak

tsak Member

Best Answers:
    depends on the hw setup you want.. i used to pay 20$ for my vps. And the overselling was for the hw setup like ram and hdd

tsak, Sep 22, 2010 IP