1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best free directory script?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Sycrohix, Dec 25, 2008.

Hi!

What is the best free directory script? One that can do featured links, doesn't have to have amny catagories.

Any ideas?

+REP for good ideas.

Sycrohix, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  2. kabasakal

kabasakal Peon

Best Answers:
    kabasakal, Dec 25, 2008 IP
  3. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Two mentioned above both good.

I will suggest indexscript*com which I have selected after testing the other two and a few others.

Colbyt, Dec 25, 2008 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  4. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    generally I would vote for phpld 2!

WallaceYeung, Dec 25, 2008 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  5. fireservice

fireservice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    fireservice, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  6. Ariola

Ariola Peon

Best Answers:
    phpld of course is the BEST !!!

Ariola, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  7. hee

hee Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP Link Directory Script is good.

hee, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest PhpLD for your requirements.

pipes, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  9. master.seo12

master.seo12 Banned

Best Answers:
    you can go for PHP LD script it's very good. i used it in the past

master.seo12, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  10. Harkster

Harkster Guest

Best Answers:
    <RANT>
    Boy it is a dull and boring world or so it seems. The same old scripts recommend as best in thread after thread. Also it seems everyone has a good rational justification for what they feel is best. Come on folks where is your sense of adventure.
    </RANT>

Take the next exit off the freeway to bordom and try something different for a change. I freely admit that it can be a risk and you may get 4 flat tires but then again it could also prove quite rewarding. I am currently doing that with http://phpweby.com/. I have no idea if it will succeed or fail but I like what I see and the developer is most helpful.

There is, and never will be a single piece of software which is the best for all applications in any area.

Ever notice that the most respected directories mentioned here are offering something different than the countless same ole same things marching in lock step.

Harkster, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    On one of my directories i actually offered plenty of different things but have now removed them, simply not used by people.

People know what they want to use, i actually did try others in the past and regretted it, i mean like big time regretted it, the hassle i endured as a result was shocking.

Its nothing to do with boredom, is comparable to why i use wordpress for blogging, because its 100 times better for me than blogger, although i still have blogger blogs and dont desert them because they are a few years old.

Everyone has their faves and should stick with it if its what they like.

pipes, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  12. mgravlee

mgravlee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine a feature that PHPLinkDirectory doesn't already have. When you are #1 there is a reason!

i use it on all but my two oldest directories. I use Gossamer Links on them and am too lazy to change. :p

mgravlee, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  13. Harkster

Harkster Guest

Best Answers:
    Pipes,
    The opposite happened to me. When the time came to tackle building a directory I spent months evaluating the most common scripts and purchased a license for one. Was a big mistake and I just ditched it last week for the free one which meets my needs much better. The purchased one was a bloated overblown buggy and difficult to work with piece of software.

I will agree with you about Wordpress. I had a bad experience with it long ago and only recently took a second look. Great stuff. I still like Drupal but now there is another tool in my box.

Harkster, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  14. d35i9n

d35i9n Member

Best Answers:
    I installed ArticleMs in about 2 minutes to a website, then it took 5 more minutes to add categories. its a nice script you can get it from here and see my example website citizen
    I am pretty sure I will purchase a license and checkout templates, it looks like you can end up with a very clean and correctly configured site with this script.

d35i9n, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  15. mmads

mmads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Another vote for phpLD here. Good luck.

mmads, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For those of you saying phpld, let me just say...
    when you are ready to become a real directory owner, one who cares tremendously about yoru project, one who wants to take advantage of what is said is offered, only to find out all that's offered does NOT work properly, and then need work to be done on it, then you can come back and give a real indication of what you *think* is the best.

And if you think for a second I am BSin you... ask ANY of the top directory owners that are using the script.

an0n, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  17. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yes that's right but for newbie to get things going PHPLD is the best..
    and also we can do a lot of tweaks to it..

Freewebspace, Dec 27, 2008 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  18. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    phpLD is moddable, that is why many people are recommending it. But I am sure there are many scripts out there that would work just as well.

Ibn Juferi, Dec 27, 2008 IP
    web-fanatic likes this.
  19. Harkster

Harkster Guest

Best Answers:
    I would guess the top directory owners are using either custom scripts or (I can't remember the names now) one of the 2 or 3 old, mature and quite expensive products. I remember looking them over and they are indeed a cut (or maybe 2 or 3) above. The script I paid for was buggy and kept crapped out when PHP was upgraded (twice). Wasn't LD which It took me about 1 hour to decide I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole.

Being an old retired 'code cranker' I really like something I can dig into and get my hands dirty so to speak. That is why I am using a new and not cluttered script. I wanted to do random displays so a post on the support forum and a couple hours of adding the DB query (and getting it right as I am not good with SQL) and playing with the template I had just what I wanted. The 'off the shelf' never seems to do exactly what I want.

Harkster, Dec 27, 2008 IP
  20. eric56hk

eric56hk Peon

Best Answers:
    phpLD should be the best because they have a lot of mods along with categories dump that allows you to build a content rich category in a very short time

eric56hk, Dec 27, 2008 IP