1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best free blogging platform?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Madelite, Oct 18, 2016.

Hello!

So I am starting a new blog in just a few days. Now the main purpose won't be to make money, as it will be a bit of a personal blog (Niched to my lifestyle).

But obviously if the blog grows, which I think it will due to my knowledge in SEO, I want to make a few dimes on it if possible. Now here is the issue: I want to start with a free blog until it's grown, and I want to be "anonymous" as well. This is due to the topic (It's technically lifestyle, but until I have a larger accepted following I don't want my name associated to it(shame and for future career if it ends up a failed project). Now here is the main problem:

I like Wordpress, but if you run their free version, you're not allowed to profit AT ALL, completely against their ToS to incorporate any type of advertising on your free wordpress blog. So that sucks.

Now Blogger I like, I really like it. I am used to it and it's easy to edit the source code of and such. Problem is; It's linked to your Gmail which means that if you plan to profit on it in the future, you need to use your real gmail and your real name will be shown as the Author.

Weebly was my third choice, just tried it out and it's absolutely horrible, the CMS is a mess for a blog-oriented website.

So, what does DP suggest, feel free to drop your arguments to why you like your choice(s) as well.

Madelite, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    qwikad.com, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  3. Madelite

Madelite Banned

Best Answers:
    True, I did not. The reason is quite simple, Tumblr has lost a lot of it's reputation lately and can barely be seen as a blogging platform IMO. More like a micro-blog. While it is efficient for SEO (In some cases) I just don't see it fit for a lifestyle/inspirational blog. I am leaning towards Wordpress honestly since it still seems to be the #1 blogging choice (for simple setup + free) other than Blogger/Blogspot.

4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Self-hosted wordpress. Hosting is so cheap nowadays.

dcristo, Oct 18, 2016 IP
    macstux likes this.
  5. antonione77

antonione77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure Wordpress 100%. You can install it easly with any hosting with a good cPanel. It's the best and unbeatable.

antonione77, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  6. bhavna90

bhavna90 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes Self hosted WordPress will be best for you to start. There are offers going on which give you 51% off on Bluehost these days. You can see it here http://www.random-week.com/get-started-bluehost/

bhavna90, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  7. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the time newbies starting with Blogger but in my experience Wordpress will be the best start up for establishing your field. Take your Wordpress site as a capital for your future plans in which will recognize by your target audience.

KylieSweet, Oct 18, 2016 IP
  8. Madelite

Madelite Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I decided to go with a free wordpress, as it takes only a few minutes to transfer it to a host if I decide to do so (Once I have enough of a following).

I considered getting some cheap hosting but considering how bad my experience with low-budget alternatives I've decided not to, after all I am not aiming for an income primarily, not the first months at least. I for example used Bluehost to host a wordpress blog just last year, the load time was between four to eight seconds. Anyhow, that's irrelevant as I am going with a free blog for the start.

9. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Fair enough. Btw has anyone ever told you that you look like Harry Potter? lol

dcristo, Oct 18, 2016 IP
    macstux likes this.
  10. Madelite

Madelite Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I can't wait for those new press photos next week...For the love of god the last ten years, almost once a month. The trauma.

Anyhow, thanks for the ideas and tips everyone. Kind of new to this type of blogging (Only done niche blogging for SEO and such before, never a personal lifestyle/inspiration blog). Already figured out that monetization will be done through affiliating and sponsored posting in the future with food, supplements and such as it will be more effective than ads. Thus the whole Wordpress not allowing ads thing isn't an issue either.

Madelite, Oct 19, 2016 IP
  11. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You could use it to your advantage. I am sure you get a lot of female attention because of the striking resemblance.

dcristo, Oct 19, 2016 IP
  12. VeniVidiVici

VeniVidiVici Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can try with any CMS actually, and although Wordpress is probably the best option in my opinion, you may as well try Joomla or Drupal. You can get hosting for very cheap and have complete control over your blog (unlike with all free blogging platforms), AND, you sure can stay an anonymous although if it is a "legit" niche you can use your own identity (I doubt that this can be a failure for your future career because no matter what you do, it still shows that you have some knowledge in the industry and that you are a hard-working able to motivate himself individual). Last but not least, you sure LOOK LIKE HARRY POTTER :D (if that's your real picture that is xD )

VeniVidiVici, Oct 19, 2016 IP
  13. Madelite

Madelite Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah, my plan is to just use the free Wordpress for three-six months, to see the results. At most I will do some amazon affiliating either way (Products I use myself) and I first want to see the result before I go get hosting and such, this will be a fairly dedicated "personal" project after all, won't be part of my regular work.

And yeah it's my real photo. For the love of god :(

Madelite, Oct 19, 2016 IP
  14. Bhavna Malhi

Bhavna Malhi Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is best. I am using it since from many years. Even you can try out.

Bhavna Malhi, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  15. myplusbee

myplusbee Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't spend a minute to think of the WP alternatives because for me, NONE unless I have strong reason to go to free blogging platform and then I'd think of Blogger.

myplusbee, Oct 27, 2016 IP
  16. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Self hosted WordPress blog is best option for starting a blog. however you can try blogger it is one the best free blogging platform.

iwebsocial, Oct 30, 2016 IP
  17. VerdinaNET

VerdinaNET Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is option, you may need to buy theme thats gonna be the only cost. If the blog grows wich i wish you then with wp you wont have problems.

VerdinaNET, Oct 30, 2016 IP
  18. kirsl

kirsl Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress.com - self-hosted
    Medium.com - SaaS

kirsl, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  19. GearedUpGeek

GearedUpGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress, blogger, or blogster. All three are pretty good.

GearedUpGeek, Nov 1, 2016 IP
  20. Nameshark

Nameshark Member

Best Answers:
    I understand why you chose the free version of Wordpress, however it is so limited in so many ways. I would always choose to have a paid hosting account and install wordpress. You options for customizing it are higher and your opportunities to gain long term traffic along with income possibilities from revenue easily trump the free version.

Nameshark, Nov 5, 2016 IP