1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

best forum software?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Lpspider, Jul 15, 2005.

Alright, what's the best forum software?

It appears that the leading software is vBulletin and Invision Board. I wan't something good, not phpBB. But here's my problem...

I want to be able to use the software more than once on more than one site, but not have to buy several licsences.

Is there any decent forum software that you can buy once and use it on more than one site?

Lpspider, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    phpBB is probably the best free one. Also, depending on how many licenses you need, vBulletin gets cheaper the more you need.

digitalpoint, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  3. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hmm...I've tried phpBB and basically gave it a thumbs down. If worst comes to worst, I'll use vBulletin and withhold following sites until I get enough revenue so its not that big of an investment. I just wish there was software you could purchase (like vbulletin) but use it multiple times.

4. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    subseo, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  5. Lpspider

Best Answers:
    Actually I shouldn't say "if worst comes to worst" ...I actually like vBulletin, I just don't want to buy several liscenses.

6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Your a hard critic for a free solution. I think phpbb is a great application especially moreso because its open source.

dcristo, Jul 15, 2005 IP
  7. Lpspider

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I guess your right. I'm willing to pay some money, but I just don't want to pay several amounts for the same thing to use it more than once.

I've had several several problems with phpbb...little things from not being able to instal templates to not being able to access the admin panel (which is why I just gave up on it)

Lpspider, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  8. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    With PHPBB you do have the functionality to install different templates and swap and change them within the backend admin area. As far as not being able to access the admin area goes though, did you install it correctly? If you use cpanel hosting and have the fantastico script installed, installing phpbb can be done in one click.

dcristo, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am a big vBulletin Fan.

So much so I made a forum about vBulletin forums :D

joeychgo, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  10. vprp

vprp Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I'd go with vBulletin. You may have to pay multiple times to use the software on a different Web site but I think it's well worth it especially if you expect long term success.

In any case, forums are difficult to get off the ground so it might help that you are only afford to pay for a couple of licenses rather than trying to start and manage 8 forums at once. I think the first option gives you a better chance at success.

vprp, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  11. Lpspider

Best Answers:
    anyone have any thoughts/experience with InvisionBoard?

Lpspider, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  12. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I read this comment so many times on internet marketing forums. Purchase a VB license if you expect long term success. I know plenty of successful phpbb forums which are "successful". I think, especially for newcomers to this business, having the frame of mind that success is determined by the type of forum software your running, is completely the wrong attitude. It goes without saying, it's how you market the forum and develop the site that determines its success, not the application that runs it. Im sure PHPBB will more than meet the requirements of most webmasters wanting to develop a forum community, and then some.

dcristo, Jul 18, 2005 IP