1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best forum software/script Mybb, PHPBB or SMF?

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by youssef93, Aug 13, 2009.

?

What's your favourite open-source forum software?

1. Mybb

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. SMF

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. PHPBB

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other..Please reply..

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello, members!

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere before, but I wanted to know your opinions regarding two things concerning forum scripts.

1. Do you go for open source (phpbb,mybb...etc) or licensed (vbulletin, IPB...etc) and why?

2. Which is the best open-source forum software in your opinion? Let me know your thoughts :)

My thoughts: For vbulletin and IPB, I think they are over-priced comparing to their open source competitors. In regards to IPB and Vbulletin, I heard that IPB's security is more powerful and it's admin panels are much easier to deal with than vb and is more user-friendly. On the other hand, many people told me that vbulletin is overall better as it's very rich in features and mods make it very extensible.

For open-source, I tried SMF, phpbb and Mybb and LOVED working with Mybb. I felt it really is the closest to vbulletin in features and people say it's pretty secure. Well, what do you think?

Thanks for sharing!

youssef93, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  2. loglive

loglive Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO, MyBB is the best just because I like how it looks and feels and because I managed to get it working as a multiuser forum hosting, as you can see if you check the forum link in my signature :).
    SMF will probably be everyone's favorite when version 2 becomes stable for the resamblance with the paid big ones :p;
    PhpBB3 is not bad at all IMO, however it sometimes is too slow, it doesn't give you the simple look and feel, I find upgrading degrading so to speak, maybe I'm too hursh on a good product but it's just my personal oppinion. :eek:

loglive, Sep 15, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.