1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best failover configuration for Apache?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by electroze, Jan 13, 2014.

I'm considering using either Dnsmadeeasy or Amazon route 53 as a DNS failover- for when the network goes down on my primary VPS that it routes to my secondary VPS at another datacenter. But I see articles of cons to doing this and cons to round robin DNS.

Does anyone know of the easiest and fastest solution so that when my site goes down it gets routed to my second server?

electroze, Jan 13, 2014 IP
  2. tolisd

tolisd Peon

Best Answers:
    You should use balance or clustering technique. Are you using windows or linux server?

tolisd, Jan 18, 2014 IP
  3. HalfDedi

HalfDedi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    the problem with round robin DNS is that, ISPs do cache DNS queries. so in the case your main server went down, there is possibility that your visitor still trying to connect to the main server instead of backup server because their ISP is caching the DNS records

HalfDedi, Feb 1, 2014 IP
  4. Nette

Nette Active Member

Best Answers:
    The easiest (and probably the best) way to do a DNS failover, is to add two "A" records for the same domain. One two your primary VPS, one to your secondary VPS. Browsers will try to access the first IP address and if it does not work, it'll try the second IP.

Nette, Feb 1, 2014 IP