1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Editor For Php??

Discussion in 'PHP' started by ggiindia, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Apposl

Apposl Member

Best Answers:
    I've been working on learning PHP the last week and had a rather simplistic question.

I'm using Notepad++ and I'm curious if there is a way to split-screen the view, so I can see a browser rendering of what I'm getting with the code I'm inputting, in close to real-time.

If that's not possible with the above program can someone recommend one that does this? Or why this is not possible/useful if it's not a common feature. Either way would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Apposl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a big fan of Flo's Notepad 2, which is Scintilla based without being a total piece of Scite. Mostly I like it because it doesn't get in my way like the steaming pile of crap IDE's or re-re tools like Dreamweaver... AND because it lets me turn off all the garbage that for me is a step backwards in functionality or pisses all over the usability

Like the illegible acid trip called color syntax highlighting - how the blue blazes does making the code illegible help work with it?!? I didn't like it when Borland added it to their compilers 25 years ago, what the devil would make me like it now?

Like tabbed editing - because restricting everything to one window is SO useful -- NOT

Like autocomplete - which either ends up changing what I'm actually trying to type to something I'm not, or just wastes time making it respond slower than I'm typing losing words in the process

... and all the other lame duck crutches that do more harm than good.

At the same time it has USEFUL aids like word-wrap indicators, word-wrap alignment, long line markers, visual brace matching, etc, etc...

... AND it actually feels native to the host OS, unlike say Sublime which isn't system metric aware and looks/behaves like some crappy JAVA Swing crapplet... even though it allegedly isn't. (Most likely due to it's developers raging chodo for some sort of idiotic 'skinning' system)

Of course, that I can use the same editor for EVERY language I'm working in is nice too... be it Assembly, Pascal, C, PHP, HTML, CSS, Javascript, doesn't matter -- all I want/need is a flat text editor that lets me show multiple windows side-by-side. To borrow from the von Richthofen: "Think about the code and write it down. Anything else is rubbish."

deathshadow, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  3. IGarret

IGarret Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHPStorm is the best IDE for serious development, from my more than 6 years experience in phpdev.

IGarret, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  4. D3Tek

D3Tek Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zend Studio for me.

D3Tek, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  5. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used Dreamweaver for some time last year and I can say its much too large and completely unnecessary to use for all script codes like php or javascript. So I strongly say NO for Dreamweaver!!!
    I have started to use Notepad this year but I think it is a little too simple.
    I recommend to use special (also free) dedicated programs like Netbeans or Eclipse. They both are currently updated and both (what is important) support new standards.

richardm55, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  6. Samkk

Samkk Peon

Best Answers:
    Daily using notepad++ .

Samkk, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  7. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, it is not free like Zend Studio and Dreamweaver so I prefer to stick with Netbeans or Eclipse.

8. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    my php coding has deteriorated since I started using dreamweaver.I still have alot to learn in regards to using dreamweaver, but to be honest, I just dont see any real advantages of using dreamweaver for editing php files. It is probly me (not dreamweaver) but when i do php coding within dreamweaver, its just a total mess. I prefer to do the work in notpad ++, where I can be a neat freak and have every line indented just the way that I like and I just use dreamweaver for the visual design side of things, as well as for syncing with the server.

You mentioned "Netbeans or Eclipse" do these have similar features to dreamweaver?

matt_62, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  9. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Netbeans and Eclipse have the most features of Dreamweaver but they just proper code editor with necessary and useful functions and features.

10. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, it's Dreamweaver. That stupid malfing idiotic overpriced decade and half out of date garbage offers NOTHING of value to anyone who has a clue what the foxtrot hotel they are doing!

Excuse me for coming right out and saying it, but anyone who says "use dreamweaver" is a drooling mike-foxtrot ignorant twit. As I've said hundreds if not thousands of times, the only thing about Dreamweaver that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting it's use. Developers are dumber for it even EXISTING!

... and I say that for 99% of developer 'tools' and things like IDE's. You need anything more than a flat text editor (like crimson editor, gedit, notepad++, notepad2, editplus, text wrangler) you are probably in the wrong blasted field, and should go take up something a bit less dangerous like macramé weaving. I have NEVER seen a website worth a flying purple fish built with Dreamweaver or any other so called "IDE", "RAD", or whatever the hell else they want to call them this week...

Oh yes, much more mellow on the Vicodin, can't you tell.

deathshadow, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  11. IGarret

IGarret Active Member

Best Answers:
    For professional developer it's not a problem I guess.

IGarret, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  12. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    For sure, it is not but I will never be professional developer so simpler editors are enough for me.

13. techwizardsolutions

techwizardsolutions Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest the word Best is pretty relative to personal preferences and comfort.

There are an unlimited number of free environments out there. Some concentrate on Javascript, some html, and some php. One of the popular free ones for PHP and a lot of others is Eclipse, it is free and there are a lot of different flavors and add-ons to compliment it and expand its ability. Netbeans, and several other IDE's have plugins and adons for more than what they were initially designed for and usually only changes some basic things to be more suitable for the different language.

If I were you I would just go out and give them a try, they are all free after all so there is no reason to not give them a look, if you come across one that you connect with right away then you have found your new home :)

techwizardsolutions, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  14. VideoWhisper.com

VideoWhisper.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    On Macs try Coda2, Dreamweaver, TextWrangler (free).

VideoWhisper.com, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  15. usman8

usman8 Banned

Best Answers:
    Zend studio and abode Dreamweaver is best tool to develop PHP.
    I used other tools also but found much easy and helping these tools and i also know that today's requirements.
    I suggest you all to use these software to build PHP and it will be more reliable and easy used software.

usman8, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  16. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know, I posted on this thread a while back saying I use Notepad++ but I did a little reading on alternatives. I don't know why as I was happy with Notepad++, maybe its good to periodically check you're not missing out on anything?

Anyway, I came across Sublime Text 2 and so far its been great. I've only had one problem with it which is the FTP plugins don't work very well. I can sacrifice that though for the range of other plugins, easy installation of those plugins and the variety of other features that are available.

On of the reasons I like this more than Notepad++ is that it auto completes and doesn't mess up your flow of typing. I'm sure there's plugins for Notepad++, I should go check actually!

I'd definitely recommend people give it a go. Its also free, with the downside that you get a popup every hour or so asking if you want to purchase. I'm going to give it another week or so before I purchase it and even then its only $70.

scottlpool2003, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  17. HHGS!

HHGS! Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Down to opinion, I use dreamweaver

HHGS!, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  18. 007speed

007speed Member

Best Answers:
    Try Sublime Text 2 it is not free but it has unlimited trial period, if you want to use it you can purchase a license.

007speed, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  19. D3Tek

D3Tek Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use Sublime Text 2, I thought it was quite good. I then moved to Aptana and then Zend.

D3Tek, Mar 18, 2013 IP
  20. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Zend is good for big project. For small and middle ones better choice is Netbeans or Eclipse. Forget Dreamsweaver! It's the worst editor!

richardm55, Mar 18, 2013 IP