1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Directory Script? eSyndiCat PRO or PhpLD 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Maksa, Jul 10, 2006.

?

Which one is the best Dir Script?

1. eSyndiCat PRO

78 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. PhpLD 3.0

180 vote(s)
    69.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, this topic should bring out all the bed wetter’s to piss on each other.

stoner3221, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  2. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    I have tried both phpld & phplynx both free and paid for versions.

I choose to stay with phplynx as I didnt like the fact I had to pay to get into the forum for support of the paid version of phpld and to be truthful (it was a while ago) the individuals within the forum then did not know much themselves. I also did not like the fact I had to (at that time) purchase mods to add things as contact, report, refer listings and sometimes when the information in the mods was so bad had also to pay for someone to install the mods for me. I struggled with phpld for about a year and then found phplynx free version was released.

This script albeit encoded supplied me with everything I need at the time. Details page, contact listing, refer listing, report listing, a more secure captcha system (antibot), the ability to add static content from the admin and much much more.

In the 1st year of using the phplynx script the full version came out which I purchased and installed on my works intranet allowing us as a company to list the companies which supply us discounts. Yes you heard me vouchers, The team at phplynx did this slight modification (full version was encoded then) without any charge at all. Gary is a whiz at turning stuff around and the support at the forum is free, 100% free, no hidden extras just simple plain advice from a guy who has probably done the same tasks day in day out and make you feel like your the 1st person to ask to resolve an issue.

Plain and simple conclusion for me is the script is great, even better now its uncoded, and the support they offer is next to none.

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jul 8, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  3. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Mikey, great post - straight to the point. The problem with the vast majority of phpLD users whom claim that the script is the 'best' say so because they've never actually tried anything else. There's proof in the pudding, go back to my posts made before around March and you'll see I was all for phpLD, until I tried and discovered the full potential of phpLynx and now would never go back to phpLD. (Note to the idiots, this was way before Jamie asked me as an avid fan of the script to become a moderator, so no need for the jibes. Keep it clean, kids.)

Spider-Man, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  4. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is something to what you say there. But let me ask you this.

Do you need to buy both a Ford and a BMW to know that you prefer a BMW? I don't think you do. You can go the dealership and kick the tires a bit and make an informed decision.

The same could also be said for scripts. You can check into the features, if you really want to go crazy try out the free versions and in the end make an informed decision on your preference.

btw not taking sides here - just saying that people don't need to have a site running on each script to have an opinion on the one they like.

swedal, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  5. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure :)

Well... I think everyone agree that technically speaking all the directory scripts are very much the same, they serve the same purposes and have the same finalities. I won't talk about the technical part of each of the scripts as I'm sure most of you tried at least a few of them. The only difference seems to be in terms of SEO friendliness and/or +/- features.

From my point of view one of the most important things should be the after sale support, the communication between myself as a buyer and the script representatives.

When I had any problems with phpld I know David and his team was always there. For example at some point I've seen the picture rotator thing I have on Zyas in one of David's directories and I really like it. Just sent a PM on his forums, David explained me what to do and he also was in touch with one of his guys to help me set it up on my site. In less than 24 hours I've had the thing up and running on my site. This was just an example as I said...

Now the phpLynx story... last year around April or May I wanted to test phpLynx with the full features (the paid version). They had a sort of 3 months trial where you supposed to pay just a part of the price and if you were happy after 3 months just pay the remaining amount. Don't remember exactly what amount was about but anyway...I thought that would be the best option. I went on their forums, got in touch with one of their guys, got the script installed. I played a bit with it for a while, it was a good script. I think I never promoted that directory or I only announced once as a free directory. Being busy with other things I forgot about it and I moved on with my stuff. In a few months checking one of my WHM panels I found the site wanted to have a look at it but could only find a blank page as the guys removed the script. Not a single reminder, not a single email to let me know the 3 months trial was over, to let me know that I should buy the full version. They just remove it...just like that. Lucky me I didn't put any effort in that directory, imagine if I would have worked on it and found they removed the script without any explanation or warning. Basically I have wasted a domain for 3 months and I lost some money for nothing. This was my only experience with phpLynx...I think I told that to Jamie during a PM exchange a few months ago. Since that day I said I would never use it again as I believe that wasn't the way to treat a customer. Probably they improved a lot since then, probably the script looks much better but I will never have it installed on any of my websites again for that single reason.

Right...next one... eSyndicat... I was lucky to purchase a full unlimited license in 2006 when the script was not that good. I felt sorry at that time but now I consider myself lucky as this script improved a lot and I can say it is one of the best on the market. I really like the module thing they have among other features. Also their support is fast and good. I don't remember the name of the script owner right now but he was always very polite and willing to help.

I really believe phpMD is the best of them first of all because of the excellent coding I saw and the features . Just check a detail page in their demo thing and you'll notice the difference. It is much more a business directory script than a link directory script. I had the chance to set up a website based on this script a few years ago on a premium domain I've had. Now I don't own the domain anymore but I still have the license which I might use when starting another project.

This is what I think about these top scripts. I'm not trying to tell anyone which script you should go for...it is your only choice. The idea is that almost all of them have the same features...the only thing which make the difference is probably the support, the human interaction... obviously my 2c...

Thanks

loredan, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  6. gjvblack

gjvblack Active Member

Best Answers:
    PHPLD IMO is the best script out there, not to mention it is free as well and has many useful features for free.

gjvblack, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  7. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Cars are quite different to directory scripts Bruce. They have four more wheels :D

No, seriously though....you can choose a car based on how it looks, user reviews, what you need it for. You can only really compare the two after trying them both for a decent amount of time.

phpLynx appears to be more complex in terms of features from looking at it. phpLD on the otherhand has had a much better and successful usage, reviews, recomendations etc. Its even promoted better and hasn't had half as much bad press as phpLynx has. Partly thats due to phpLD's absence in this forum compared with the honest and 'tell it like it is' approach my phpLynx staff and supporters.

I'll give you my answer to the question in a few months. I shouldn't need to though, when I execute the plans I have stashed in my head the results will speak for themselves :D

mikey1090, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  8. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I used and still do use phpld paid and free versions. I was thinking about lynx and wanted to try free version to see how it goes. Then I saw encryption and it was big NO NO. Too bad they lost one possible client....when they REALLY go open source I am sold to try it. Until then phpld allll the waaaayyyy ;)

iatbm, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  9. Misafir

Misafir Guest

Best Answers:
    My first preference is esyndicat an than phpLD no more :D

Misafir, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why the need for another dir script thread either..
    the only one I've used is phpld, so that is where my vote would lie

Brandon Sheley, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:

And you can drive cars around too. I realize they are different, but really the point was that shopping is shopping.

When your thinking of purchasing something it is unrealistic to think that someone needs to purchase them all to actually be able to compare, evaluate and make a decision.

That is why people do product reviews too. Maybe that is what is needed for some of these scripts - independent and unbiased product reviews by professionals. Though I am not so sure that is possible.

I still think it is perfectly feasable for a person to sit down and gather information on scripts they are interested in and have a good opinion on which they feel is better. They could even go so far as to try out the free versions or most scripts offer demos on their sites.

Though the need to purchase the script for their opinion to be legitimate sure would not hurt sales I guess. ;)

swedal, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  12. gjvblack

gjvblack Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice, received an infraction because of my opinion (pretty sure it was from the guy in green), i gave my opinion honest and without any bad language, shows Spider-Man & mikey1090 was right you. Thanks Spider-Man & mikey1090 for your opinion :D

gjvblack, Jul 8, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  13. crownrahul

crownrahul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PHPLD is best script, I am using since 3 years, no problem

crownrahul, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  14. EvcRo

EvcRo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's almost like with the free CMS's, lets take for example Joomla vs SilverStripe. One has tens of thousands of modules/templates/users, the other has few. If i want to add something new i have 10+ better chances to get something that i can customize when using a popular script.

Same goes with the free directory scripts, one with huge community, lots of mods vs one with few means more trouble.

That's why i use phpLD on all my directories, if something goes wrong im sure i can find an answer in 10 minutes as thousands of people already use it, i want a module or a template , there are plenty to choose from.

EvcRo, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To me phpLD is to directories what Wordpress is to blogging, its big enough to get fast assistance, be it on a forum, privately or whatever.

People feel comfortable with that, when if one person cant help them theres nearly always someone else who knows just exactly what your trying to find out.

pipes, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  16. imi_99

imi_99 Peon

Best Answers:
    phpld is the best and free

imi_99, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  17. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    Anyone can post phpxxx is free and the best,

Please can we have your reasons why, do not make this into the typical my dad is bigger then your dad thread as we have all seen them and read them and ignored them before.

Tell the forum why you thinks script a is better then script b

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  18. aubenrey

aubenrey Banned

Best Answers:
    Sorry to correct you here, but I think you will find the trial was a 30 day trial and that it automatically expires, which is one of the features of ion cube. So phplynx probably had nothing to do with it closing down, the script simply expired.

Thanks
    aubenrey

aubenrey, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  19. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    That's correct:)

Spider-Man, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  20. uploas

uploas Peon

Best Answers:
    PHPLD. is the best