1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS? Yes it has been asked a zillion times!

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Kayz, May 5, 2008.

I am quite aware that im sure millions of people have asked the very same question and yes i have already been over to: opensourcecms.com and nothing really did answer my question.

I am interested to know what the best SE friendly and content featured CMS that you guys know of.

I need a CMS system particularly for an online local community that i am planning to setup for the local area that i live in. So it must have good accessiblity features etc and user friendly.

I want to know the many different CMS's that you guys have used or have come across from your own experiences.

I came across this cms which looks very cool and would be ideal for a CMS community i am trying to setup for my local community... take a look.

http://www.affiliates4u.com/

(I doubt that if i mailed them they would tell me what CMS they are using.)

Kayz, May 5, 2008 IP
  2. wendallb

wendallb Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for a community script I would try Dolphin, this is very nice script

wendallb, May 5, 2008 IP
  3. deshabhishek007

deshabhishek007 Banned

Best Answers:
    i suggest try Dragon cms !!
    nice one

deshabhishek007, May 5, 2008 IP
  4. magdalene2008

magdalene2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    magdalene2008, May 6, 2008 IP
  5. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    uh oh, here come the opinions :p

I'll throw my usual fanboy one in here: use Wordpress!

Pixelrage, May 6, 2008 IP
  6. J4JeffR

J4JeffR Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a good and really important question for many of us. 'Best' can mean many things but for all of us, to some degree at least, it relates to the ability to create a site well optimised for search engines.
    I have a colleague using Joomla exclusively. His SERP results to date have been moderate and we have heard that Joomla is not the best for search engines (I think to do with the extended url??)
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

J4JeffR, May 7, 2008 IP
  7. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    My last company had a Joomla site for 3 years and it was absolute sh*t in terms of SEO. All you had to go by in terms of ranking was backlinks and on-page SEO, but it didn't help that the URLs looked like a long string of letters and numbers. It was also painfully slow to load, even on a T1.

Pixelrage, May 7, 2008 IP
  8. egonitron

egonitron Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm hearing a lot of bad things about joomla regarding SEO. Is this still the case? If so, what would you recommend other than Joomla? Not including Wordpress, I'm looking for a more scalable solution.

egonitron, May 7, 2008 IP
  9. me4you

me4you Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla Is the best as i know so far. any body try MODx CMS ?

me4you, May 7, 2008 IP
  10. magdalene2008

magdalene2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    In Joomla 1.5.x you can turn on the SEO friendly URL thinga-magic :) I nearly went for Drupal tho, but went ahead for Joomla for its abundancy of templates.

magdalene2008, May 12, 2008 IP
  11. webblab

webblab Guest

Best Answers:
    I really love FrogCMS, very flexible

webblab, May 13, 2008 IP
  12. bragn

bragn Peon

Best Answers:
    Haven't used it myself, but I saw a lot of recommendations of Drupal for a community CMS. :)

bragn, May 13, 2008 IP
  13. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Joomla! 1.5 has improved SEO over Joomla! 1.0.x but still falls short in the total satisfaction department. To make Joomla! fully SEO-friendly you'd need to make some custom hacks, and that's not everybody's cup of tea.

Lever, May 13, 2008 IP
  14. sylv3rblade

sylv3rblade Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend Joomla. But if you can afford it, Expression Engine.

sylv3rblade, May 13, 2008 IP
  15. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like Joomla. I would agree Expression Engine is a good product if you can find a good designer to make your template.

As fare as SEO comments above. People worry way to much about onsite SEO. Yes it's important to a point. But it's far more important to get quality SEO links from other sites.

I have Joomla Sites in the Top 10 for my intended target Audience on the Big G, and that with the Default SEO turned on in Joomla 1.5

internetmarketingiq, May 14, 2008 IP
  16. Nystul

Nystul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just wondering -

I been using Wordpress eversince i started,

But have heard good things about Joomla and Drupal,

So comparing WP and these 2, what are the advantages of those over WP ?

Nystul, May 14, 2008 IP
  17. Citizen

Citizen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Citizen, May 14, 2008 IP
  18. cellubration

cellubration Peon

Best Answers:
    By far its Joomla, it has the most extensions, the best templates, amazing support forums, a very active community, and its easy to learn and advance with it, plus there are many SEF components for it, alot of community building applications, and much more. joomla.org

cellubration, May 16, 2008 IP
  19. k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7

k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7 Peon

Best Answers:
    i suggest you make your own. no im not being an ass but theres this nifty php framework that can help you get stuff done fast called : SYMFONY

look it up, GLHF :)

k_e_i_k_u_n_1_7, May 17, 2008 IP
  20. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I use Wordpress quite a bit, and I have been evaluating Joomla, Drupal, and ExpressionEngine. My basic advice, is to use Wordpress whenever possible.

Wordpress is an extensible CMS with a rigid framework. This rigid framework has several major advantages:

1) Backward compatibility between versions
    2) Easy to design and install new "install-and-click" themes.
    3) Greater reliability
    4) Greater stability (add-on plugins and modules can introduce security flaws)
    5) Easy to learn and administer
    6) Easier to develop new plugin-extensions
    7) Easier to customize, with PHP code
    8) Lots of plugins and utilities to make life easy while administering and migrating your applications.

The big disadvantage of Wordpress, is that the application has to fit within Wordpress's framework (just look at the themes and you can understand the framework). If the application does not fit within the framework, you have to start coding in PHP, either within the template system - or possibly even within the core modules, which should be avoided at all costs.

Joomla is a step up from Wordpress in flexibility, since there are some substantial modules that have been developed (e.g. jReviews, community software, etc), using the Joomla development libraries. If, and only if, you can use one of these off-the shelf modules, as is, then it makes sense to use Joomla. However, by moving to Joomla, you have to except all of the issues associated with the hodgepodge of developers and modules out there, e.g.:

1) Much more bugs
    2) Very little backward compatibility (Joomla 1.5, is a virtual mess for user and developers who have to rewrite their modules)
    3) More unpredictability (e.g. security, reliability)
    4) A more difficult CMS to understand and use because of the messiness of the architecture

Drupal is sort a much more malleable CMS, that is designed around a building block approach. The Drupal architecture lends itself toward customized a CMS application that really fits the users flow and needs. However, a developer needs to learn about the modules that are available, and know how to effectively use them. Experienced database developers will readily recognize the value of modules such as Views (which filters and presents information), while HTML/CSS designers may not understand the power of such building blocks. But if you understand the product, it gives you lots more control over your user interface and flow, making it a good alternative to coding in PHP/MySQL (it provides, what is called, a higher level of abstraction compared to PHP).

Drupal (and Joomla), is a development mess, which is the result of its opensource legacy. Opensource products do not have any allegiance to their customer base (the core developers treat it more like a hobby rather than a business), and critical modules are not well tested, and come out in a staggered fashion. For example Drupal 6.2, still does not have a complete set of modules. Not only is this problematic for the short term, it is a severely risky proposition for the long term.

There are other CMS products such as MODx that provide even greater flexibility, but as you get more flexibility, you are also approaching the same level of development knowledge as would be required for PHP coding.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

richrf, May 17, 2008 IP
    bragn likes this.