1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS for website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by flashculture, Sep 19, 2007.

Hi,

I posted this earlier, but for some odd reason it never appeared. Anyway I'm looking to convert my website (www.flashculture.com) to a CMS. I've heard Joomla, Mambo and Drupal are popular, but I'm unsure would best fit my needs. Looking at the criteria below can someone which one best fits? thanks.

1) Easy to use interface to change look and content.
    2) SEF.
    3) Google adsense easily put in.
    4) Forum (which looks like its part of the actual site and not just tacked on)
    5) I need the front page to have a whole big list of latest links of interest, which can be put in my the visitor to the website? (has a submit page)

thanks for any help.
    flashculture.

flashculture, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  2. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could actually do that pretty easy with Joomla or Drupal

mnymkr, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  3. Youkay

Youkay Peon

Best Answers:
    i'd go with joomla for something like that.

Youkay, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  4. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    I've spent all night reading google articles and looking at templates. Mambo certainly seems to have lots of nice templates, but when I read about it in the forums everyone seems to prefer joomla/drupal over mambo, why is that? I also can hardly find any "nice" templates for drupal, or they all look like wordpress templates! and between joomla/drupal which would you recommend? I would love to ad a forum to the flashculture website so thats something to take into account.

flashculture, Sep 19, 2007 IP
  5. maroon_cool

maroon_cool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go with Joomla you can easily bridge SMF,Vbulletin or IPB forums.

maroon_cool, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  6. DeiformArtics

DeiformArtics Peon

Best Answers:
    can somebody tell me what are joomla and drupal?? and how do one go abt using them!!

DeiformArtics, Sep 20, 2007 IP
  7. matts8008

matts8008 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'de go with Joomla as well...very easy to get going and once you learn to use it you can do very nice sites with it quickly and easily.

matts8008, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    from what I hear, that bridge plugin is a disaster

Pixelrage, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  9. Dantanas

Dantanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    joomla is the best

Dantanas, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  10. caustictruths

caustictruths Peon

Best Answers:
    i love joomla with all the nifty plugins esp. from ijoomla.com. they ruled. as my site grew, it kept blowing away the VPS server i was on. my host (megahosters) was pretty lousy in the support end. i am now using wordpress with no problems and really like it. it seems to handle the loads pretty too.

caustictruths, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  11. loko

loko Peon

Best Answers:
    loko, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  12. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    WOW! that shows what can be done with a bit of customization..
    GrownUpGeek.com is also a Drupal site, albeit much simpler than The NY Observer site.. ..

Tearabite, Sep 21, 2007 IP
  13. loko

loko Peon

Best Answers:
    loko, Sep 22, 2007 IP
  14. DeiformArtics

DeiformArtics Peon

Best Answers:
    can u pls teach me how to use it... i have no clue... i tried my hand on it but cudnt get head and tail out of it... :(

DeiformArtics, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  15. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I dont think the NYO website is a good example of drupal, yes it looks nice, but it seems to me that a good html/php programmer can modify ANY of these CMS's to do pretty much whatever they want, but thats the point, you have to be a good website programmer to be able to do that. I'm not, so I'm looking for something which is fairly easy to use, is SEF, allows for Adsense easily, and I can add a forum too easily.

There still doesn't seem to be a definate answer! :), as soon as someone posts that xxx CMS system is good to use for that, someone elses posts that its not!....., even if someone who has used all of these can do a post which says "xxxxx is best for SEF, xxxx2 is best for Adsense, xxxx3 is best for templates" etc etc would help everyone I think.

flashculture, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  16. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    I say Drupal :
    1) i learned how to use it in just a day or so.. It's theme'able, although there are not a LOT of themes. Also, just by changing the configuration, you can change a lot about the look - very customizable
    2) I'd say Drupal is the MOST SEF CMS there is (when used as directed.. see my ebook)
    3) No problem
    4) add the forum module and you have a fully integrated forum
    5) any node (page) can be easily promoted to the front page

Tearabite, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  17. flashculture

flashculture Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha, I just spend the last hour scouring the forums for info, and the conclusion (although its a shakey one) I've come to is a combination of Joomla with iJoomla Magazine/News extension for FlashCulture.com, only thing I'm totally unsure about is, will it be SEF? Where would you put Adsense and can I completely customize the pages.

I've looked at drupal, but I'm not sure if its something for the beginner, where as Joomla seems to have a LOT of articles/forums/info for it.

flashculture, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  18. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    Choose what you're most comfortable with - but as far as Drupal not being for a beginner: I started using Drupal not even knowing what a CMS was - i knew NOTHING about databases, PHP, Apache, or anything else..
    I had it up, running in an hour, and customized the way i wanted it within a few days..

Tearabite, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  19. ass45sin

ass45sin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Flashculture.

All of your needs can be supported by most CMS now but I can't find anything better then drupal.

You're right but then again if you want to customize something you need less knowledge then when you're trying to create something from scratch.

Take a look at this site: http://www.endurototale.com. I used the standard garland and modified it to create that.
    I made that in two weeks time. Like Tearabite I knew nothing of programming in php and mysql. I knew very little http and was learning css. Yes Drupal might look discouraging at first but the forum is more then willing to answer your questions there.

To be frank I don't have any extensive experience in other CMS but I'll soon learn if it necessary. So far Drupal has been very accommodative. Anyway it's just recommendations but I think that when deciding important things you have to know those choices just a bit better then looking at brochures no? It's always up to you. Good luck in your transition from flash.

EDIT:

Adobe just launched this http://flex.org/showcase_app
    Just to let you know, It uses drupal as backend.

ass45sin, Sep 23, 2007 IP
  20. WM7

WM7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal can work for you.

WM7, Sep 24, 2007 IP