1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS Based on PHP

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by saurabhk, Aug 14, 2006.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I set up www.BizAmmo.com using it. It's not a "good" site though. I'm not a designer or coder, so that's not the CMS' fault in the slightest. ;) I'm also moving AudioXposure.com over to it. I'm still tweaking colors and the menu with that one before I transfer all of the files and re-launch it, but you can take a quick look at that at http://audioxposure.audioxposure.com "in progress." And yes, I know I'm guilty of a cardinal sin using tables on the home page for layout. I'm sorry :( A better example might be looking at the All Info About network - they use cmsms. My sites there are still up - one is at www.AllInfoAboutMarketing.com. Basically you can use any table-based or css template that you can buy or find on the web. You just insert simple tags where you want the content from the cms to appear (like in your main content area you would simply add {content} and in your code you could add {metatags} (or whatever the tag for that is). Then in the cms, you have fields where you can use a wysiwyg editor or html alone, and it automatically puts the content wherever you placed the tags, and formats things based on the css file you attach. As far as I know there really aren't any design limitations. One of the reasons I quit using mambo a while back and didn't move to joomla is because I felt like you could instantly tell when a site was made on them, because the modules (if I'm using the right word) tended to look the same and I did't like that. Nothing wrong w/ the backend on them.

Here are a few more samples:
    http://www.wareriver.com/
    http://www.punchlinemagazine.com/

You can find more in the cmsms showoff area of their forum - http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php/board,5.0.html

Jenn

jhmattern, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  2. nita_nitd

nita_nitd Active Member

Best Answers:
    my picks are : Moodle, e107 , WP and drupal.... tried joomla many times but dont know why never liked it.

nita_nitd, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I never liked Drupal. I tried it with one site... didn't turn out too bad, but I just couldn't get into the admin of it. Not really sure why I didn't like it. :(

I have to admit, WP is growing on me. I just started using is for the BizAmmo blog, and it's nice. I don't know that I'd use it as a cms though for a full site. - and on that note, I better do some blogging tonight!

Jenn

jhmattern, Aug 24, 2006 IP
  4. kyogen

kyogen Peon

Best Answers:
    I've set up Mambo a few times, good plug ins available, I guess this would also hold true for Joomla. Had a hard time customizing the templates for visual design changes. Just before I finished my tweaks, I found out that there is a dreamweaver extension for making your own Mambo templates... so you can build your page if flat html, then use this DW extension to make it powered by Mambo. Nice.

For simpler sites I'm onto Wordpress. Simpler, easier to manipulate, but I think less flexible plug-in wise.

For massive sites it can also be good to use Dreamweaver templates, as you can do some extra file system manipulation that is tougher/more technical in a cms.

All depends on what your site's goals are, community, massive content pages, etc. different solutions for different needs. Also depends on your skills/background in scripting and maybe even database work.

Just my thoughts!
    Charlie
    Seven87.com

kyogen, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  5. neth

neth Peon

Best Answers:
    Vote for joomla as it is easy to set up, put bunch of extensions, build any kind of website quickly, change template in seconds...

neth, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  6. -Abhishek-

-Abhishek- Regaining my Momentum!

Best Answers:
    Wordpress all the way .... I can virtually do anythin and everything with it :)

-Abhishek-, Aug 26, 2006 IP