1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Benefit Of Using A Long Web Domain Name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by pcdoc, Aug 21, 2005.

pcdoc, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  2. MaxCage

MaxCage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, exactly. I think the SEs pick up the word in the domain which could be an important highpaying keyword. Well, would it be nice if pepsi had something like kill-your-thirst.com?! lol.

MaxCage, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  3. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a pretty obvious point: all depends how you drive traffic to a site. If lots of visitors need to arrive from promotions in offline (dead-tree) media, or through word-of-mouth, a short and succinct domain helps memorizing. If the visitors primarily arrive from search engines or inbound links, the domain doesn't need to be as wetware-friendly so it might as well be software-friendly (lots of relevant keywords).

Willy, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  4. eduardomaio

eduardomaio Peon

Best Answers:
    For me it works this way, I have my own trademark and a domain with it... Now I will make an advertising campaign...

www.tune-your-car.com will be 301 to www.sprinttotal.com or a specific page about that advertising campaign... Now that's how it works, you should always have your own domain, small, original and that people will automatically connect to you... Your trademark or website name!

If your main domain is look-at-this-website-about-search-engine-optimization.com don't expect too much traffic or popularity...

eduardomaio, Aug 21, 2005 IP
  5. capebretoner

capebretoner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a problem typing too many "-" I am not sure why. 1 or 2 is fine but after that it gets annoying and allow spammy looking

capebretoner, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  6. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree - up to 2 hyphens is all that I would consider acceptable before it starts getting spam-like.

Of course, domain names without hyphens are a lot easier to type and remember, but then you lose the advantage of keywords over the search engines.

Lets face it, most web addresses / email addresses don't transfer well from the real world to the internet - "alloneword" or "no, the UNDERSCORE - to the LEFT of the backspace", anyone? ;-)

JamieC, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  7. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    If users are only going to be clicking on links domain name does not matter but after having watched students trying to type in a URL, I say the shorter the better. When purchasing a domain name one thing I consider is how easy is it to type. If you have two meaningful one about same length and one is easier to type than the other I would lean toward the easier to type one.

Shannon

Smyrl, Aug 23, 2005 IP