1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Being transferred to Web.com/Network Solutions web hosting; your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by f750333, Mar 17, 2017.

Hello all, I've recently received the following 2 notices regarding my web hosting account with ProHosters (QTS/Carpathia Hosting):

1: "Your web hosting services and account are being transferred to Web.com and they will be assuming the responsibility for managing my website account and support services".

2: "Network Solutions will be assuming the management of my website account and associated services".

I have no experience moving from one host to another and have zero knowledge of these companies.
    I'd appreciate your thoughts, if you do. Thanks!

f750333, Mar 17, 2017 IP
  2. radwebhosting

radwebhosting Active Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, that's about the worst news you can receive. What type of sites are you hosting?

Anytime your website will be moved to another server (host, in this case), I would recommend taking a precautionary backup, yourself, of all the files. You can never have too many backups, in case something goes wrong, or you decide that you need to move to a new host.

radwebhosting, Mar 18, 2017 IP
    matt_62 and billzo like this.
  3. f750333

f750333 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks!
    I've been trying to get more details from my current host as well as Web.com/Network Solutions and all I get from current is "change will be seamless and will not affect websites, files or emails", while Web.com/NS had no idea, what I was talking about, even though I called the number on the email they sent, telling me they "will be assuming the management of my website account and associated services.". Other than seeking feedback on Web.com/Network Solutions, I've have been doing, as you suggest; backing up my website files but I also use a web based email through my current host. how does one back up web based emails, attachments and folders?

f750333, Mar 19, 2017 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know nothing about web.com's hosting services. However, I just checked out their domain registration (web.com now owns Network Solutions) and a huge warning flag is that they never tell you how much their domain registrations cost (must be a reason for that). Going through the cart, there is still no information, but privacy protection costs $1.95 per month. You have to enter your name, email address, and create a password at least until the price is known for registration. I am not going that far. The web hosting service cost is competitive. You will have to search to see if you can find some information or reviews about hosting quality.

billzo, Mar 19, 2017 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  5. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In a changeover, they might be flooded with support related tickets, that might take them a while to answer. Given a bit of time, it would become business as usual.

Often, but not always, when customers are sold off, there is usually deals done to protect the clients, such as, all clients tend to keep the same pricing, as well as get to keep their old plans.

Remember, whatever you pay per year to your old host, is what the new host paid to acquire you. So it is in their best interests to do whatever they can to keep all customers happy.

Here is my suggestions:
    1. do not panic
    2. raise a ticket if you have problems (dont do it if you are bored or something)
    3. take backups (as mentioned above by others)
    4. And this is important. Move your domain to a domain provider you trust. You cannot go wrong if you move your domain to namecheap.

regarding backups. If you login to cpanel, a full backup should include emails.

matt_62, Mar 19, 2017 IP
  6. f750333

f750333 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks!
    A quick search showed Network Solutions hosting does not get very good reviews. On hold now, hopefully some answers, forthcoming. I already had namecheap as my domain provider, so that's cool! Raised a ticket before, I came here and still asking questions in it, to try to get answers...Not very helpful! "we are currently in the process of migrating to Web.Com, so far we don’t have any updates. Please stay tooned , and try again later.". Requested a full backup in cpanel, they said "...created an archive of the requeste files and placed it in /home/webadmin.". It's a .tgz file and still trying to find out how to open it and access files & folders.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    f750333, Mar 23, 2017 IP