1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Being followed by HUNDREDS of spam followers per day.

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by mauallie, Sep 25, 2017.

I've checked and changed everything: username, email account, phone number, applications, hashtags. The only thing that stops the spam is setting my account to private, which I cannot do permanently (our school requires us to keep a professional public Twitter account). I am not a prominent personality at all, my actual followers are around 60 people - I've only started using Twitter about three weeks ago. There is absolutely nothing controversial or spam-related in my tweets and I didn't click any suspicious links.

After blocking almost 1,500 users, I gave up and opened a new account. I retweeted some of my tweets and, lo and behold, the same thing started happening after one day. I have already reported and blocked around 5,000 followers, and if my account is public, it just doesn't stop - I get a notification about a new follower every minute. I've asked around about this issue and no one has ever experienced it to this extent - everyone gets a random fake once or twice per month, but that's it. The followers are obviously fake or hacked accounts ("hot girls looking for sex," random Chinese tweets, people with 0 followers following 3,000). I'm beyond frustrated and have no idea what to do. Twitter Support is absolutely useless. Has anyone here ever experienced it? What do I do? Please help :(

mauallie, Sep 25, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Why does it matter?
    I'm intrigued about how you warranted such attention!
    I get followers every day yet my total remains steady at just over 800. I'm assuming most are bots or people who unfollow those who don't follow back.
    Have you somehow trolled someone influential?

sarahk, Sep 25, 2017 IP
  3. mauallie

mauallie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I steer clear of any controversial tweets (not to mention there aren't many tweets on my account at all) and it's extremely unlikely that I pissed anyone off. It matters because I want to keep my account professional (and public) and I care about keeping my "audience" real. The spammers really clutter my profile: I don't even notice the real followers anymore, they just get lost in the crowd. And I don't want industry professionals to go to my account and decide that I bought myself a bunch of bots (and again, they are veeeery obviously fake). Not to mention thousands of annoying notifications per day...

mauallie, Sep 25, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Could that someone be a professional rival?

sarahk, Sep 25, 2017 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Been through this too a couple times. It comes and goes. At least you have a good ratio between following / followers. Use it to grow your account.

qwikad.com, Sep 25, 2017 IP
  6. mikebvm

mikebvm Member

Best Answers:
    There is nothing you can do except wait it out. Unfortunately you can't stop followers from happening (at least on Twitter/Facebook), even when it is a competitor bombarding you. It sucks.

mikebvm, Sep 25, 2017 IP
  7. seangugerty

seangugerty Banned

Best Answers:
    Are they all Arabic? I had a similar issue and it was the open source software I was using called Twando. It could quite possibly be one of your apps you gave Oauth permission to.

seangugerty, Oct 5, 2017 IP