1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Being added to the Yahoo directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by braknews, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Percept

Percept Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted a few months ago ... still not listed though but I knew it could take to up to a year.

Percept, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  2. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    The best (fastest) I was able to get into Yahoo was ~week. I believe only because Google found it within 24 hours after getting some nice incoming links.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I emailed yahoo about getting the category changed for my site. They responded back in a day and said the changes were made. Two days later, my site was in the correct category. And I got a local listing as well so I ended up with two directory listings. BONUS!

mopacfan, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  4. H-Man

H-Man Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been waiting 6 months.

H-Man, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  5. TopSpin

TopSpin Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a site that's listed with Yahoo - it's in the right category and everything.. HOWEVER - the actual listing will NOT update even though it's not even close to what is on the actual site. Could it be because we actually paid for site inclusion with Yahoo a couple years ago? Any ideas?

TopSpin, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  6. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a site that's listed with Yahoo somewhere, but lately I've seen that it dropped a lot in the search results. :(

Jackobo007, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  7. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that you think your drop in serp placement is somehow related to your inclusion in the Yahoo directory?

GuyFromChicago, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  8. Jackobo007

Jackobo007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me correct myself, Lately I've seen that my SERP in yahoo search has dropped, I don't think that it's related to the directory.

Jackobo007, Sep 1, 2004 IP
  9. Scoreboard

Scoreboard Peon

Best Answers:
    Been waiting 90 days. Google's been money from Day 1, though.

Scoreboard, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  10. Eli

Eli Peon

Best Answers:
    Was it a free submission or you paid the fee?

Eli, Sep 19, 2004 IP
  11. tphyahoo

tphyahoo Peon

Best Answers:
    For my job, I just had to do my first commercial, pay for it, submission into the yahoo directotory. The process is so user unfriendly it blows my mind.

First of all, you need a yahoo account to do it. I made a separate yahoo account for this, because your directory account can only be managed from your yahoo account, and I wanted to be able to hand off the user/password to someone else in the company if I leave. The yahoo account creation process is HOSED. First I couldn't log in, then it assigned me an ugly password, which I also couldn't log in with, I waited awhile, maybe their databases need to synchronize... no... finally, three hours later I have a yahoo account that works.

Then the directory entry. 300 bucks, fine. It recurs at the end of the year. We only want it for one year, never mind why. It has to go off our company credit card, not the customer credit card, never mind why.

You cannot cancel the recurring charge at the end of the year, without cancelling your directory entry.

I repeat. If you try to cancel the recurring charge, that cancels the directory entry for the entire year. So I have to make a reminder for myself to cancel this in a year. What if I forget because I'm on a LONG VACATION in a year?! Tough shit for my company, they have to pay, but yahoo gets the money.

And on top of that, yahoo reserves the right to refuse to accept you into their directory and not refund your money. It's a bit much.

You know what would be cool? Google announces, they will put new links from a yahoo directory into a sandbox until yahoo "stops being evil." Yeah... THAT would get google a few brownie points in my book!

Idiots.

Okay, enough venting, good bye.

Actually another idea occurred to me. We could write our credit card company not to accept any more charges from yahoo until further notice. But the credit card isn't in my name, etc etc, so I won't be doing that, it's too much trouble. Oh well!

tphyahoo, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  12. Spyware Remover

Spyware Remover Peon

Best Answers:
    When you look at the quality of backlink you are getting from the Yahoo directory and break it down month to month, it's the best $299 investment you can make.

AJ

Spyware Remover, Oct 11, 2004 IP
  13. rwhetsto

rwhetsto Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't consider a yahoo directory link to be of high quality. The directory is soo watered down by the time you find a resonable category for your site. The PR effect is minimal, you might get a PR4 page with 70 links or so on it passing the equivalent of around PR1 or low PR2 to your site, certainly not worth $25 a month imo.
    The only value I can see in have this link is if Yahoo considers a listing in the directory as being important in its search algorithm, which it seems to me that it is. What do you guys think of that, will a listing in the directory increase my rankings in Yahoo, more so in comparison to a link from joeshmoes directory of the same PR value?

rwhetsto, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  14. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I have my doubts that "Y" considers your placement in their directory very important in it's search algorithim. The reason I say this is because I have one primary keyword that has been top 5 for years in the Y directory and used to show up the same in the Serp's but doesn't show up in the top 200 in the Serp's but is still high in the directory. We did great their prior to and during the Google/Yahoo affiliation but after they split we went to the basement in Yahoo. Wish I knew why?

lowrider14044, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  15. kepa

kepa Peon

Best Answers:
    It did absolutely nothing for me. I am at the same spot that I was prior to paying $299. :mad: Spend time optimizing and you'll get results without paying. I thought it could bring me into the top ten, but it didn't - still hovering around 15 or so. One thing to consider, which may make a difference in your decision making. If you do decide to pay and then find that it isn't helpful, when you decide to NOT renew next year or stop paying for Sitematch, I'm not sure that they won't yank your site entirely. I'm interesting in hearing from someone that HAS cancelled and retained their ranking, because I really don't want to renew next year.

kepa, Oct 14, 2004 IP
  16. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    I got listed 3 years back in the Y! directory. The problem is that when someone queries the Yahoo search, the description and title for my site is picked up from the directory (which BTW is very lousy) instead of the page. I wish they picked the title and description from my page which would be much more relevant.

vlead, Oct 17, 2004 IP
  17. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought the free directory listing in Yahoo was for non-commercial websites?

DarrenC, Oct 17, 2004 IP
  18. real

real Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder if people really search yahoo directory or is it only good for link pop? Does it give great advantage for yahoo search?

real, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  19. h2tdc

h2tdc Peon

Best Answers:
    With Yahoo free submission, it is as bad as waiting to be listed in the DMOZ directory. Maybe DMOZ is much worse.

h2tdc, Nov 30, 2004 IP