1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Behold the power of content...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by reli4nt, Sep 30, 2004.

Is it me, or does content not get mentioned very often in the context of SEO.

Isn't content what the algorithms are all about (or at least used to be)?

reli4nt, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    original content and volumes of it does do very well in seo, but it doesn't have the strength it should by itself.

The site with the most content will win out in the end if you compete on equal footing on other factors with your compeditors.

Dominic, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  3. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    the thing is there a zealots who go around ranting things like "content is king" etc

I'm not really sure why, they seem to lack the ability to separate quality of site and actually rankings

sort of blurring the line between actually seo and marketing

i.e. your site will fail if it doesn't have good content (possible true)

i.e. your site won't rank if it doesn't have good content (totally false)

Google or any other search engine judges sites on some criteria and ranks them accordingly

It doesn't actually rank them on quality, it just has things programmed in that it perhaps perceives as "quality"

inktomi bases it results more on "content"

that's is why you see sites stuffed with keywords, alt tags stuffed with keywords, key words over and over again doing great in inkotomi

ferret77, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  4. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO Unique and on topic content in mass helps greatly in all modern SE'.

BTW ferrert, u might wanna check the URL for the link in your sig with anchor "Flowers"!

xml, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  5. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you think forums are so powerful in getting fast and good SERPs?

They offer huge amounts of fresh content… and a great deal of “web democracy”… which I’m sure SEs, especially GG consider of great value. :cool:

Tapanti, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  6. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    I just seems to me liek something has gotten overlooked here. Am I alone in thinking that it at least should have been about the content and not the tricks. I guess thats a lesson in what happens when you rely on computers to make decisions.

Computer intelligence is still so infantile compared to the human mind.

reli4nt, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  7. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    "Am I alone in thinking that it at least should have been about the content and not the tricks."

who cares what it *should* have been about

what matters is what it is about

ferret77, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  8. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Correct .... but not entirely correct, I'm afraid. :cool: Lots of content is really good, but not unless it's complemented by lots of back links. It'll be hard for even a forum with a PR0 to get into the top spots for competitive terms.

Having said that, don't get me wrong on this as content is extremely important and SEs absolutely love content. Ex: IMO it is impossible to get be in the top 10 if your site only contains one page (hypothetical case), even if you have heaps of BLs ..... Not sure why anybody would like to a one-page site though?? :D

dfsweb, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  9. reli4nt

reli4nt Peon

Best Answers:
    See, I have always been more of an innovator rather than a follower.
    I care about should, and I'm not alone. But I understand your point.

reli4nt, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  10. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Content is a big part of SEO and an even bigger part in site promotion and keeping people coming back. There will come a time when there isn't a trick of the day to rank high and those sites who have slowly been adding original, useful content WILL be king.

I do agree however that just having "content" means nothing and any benefit you may be getting now will be short term. That is why I add 20-30 original pages of content a week rather than dumping fairly useless general content onto my site.

That all being said, today I get lots of banklinks. Two years ago I may have been focusing mostly on keyword density and metas. Two years from now, who knows?

yfs1, Oct 1, 2004 IP