1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

beginners PPC budget

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by webdesignchicago, Mar 24, 2011.

how much budget is needed for PPC beginners?

webdesignchicago, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  2. gration78

gration78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should deposit more than $200.

gration78, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  3. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is not enough information to answer this question.

What's the niche? How many searches on the keywords? How much can you expect to pay per click? At what position? What are your goals?

Lucid Web Marketing, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  4. jacwee

jacwee Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are still in the testing phase and on a shoestring budget, set $10 a day.

jacwee, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  5. clamchowderz

clamchowderz Peon

Best Answers:
    Try and find a "Free $100" from Google AdWords online. Set a daily budget for $25.00 (assuming your keywords are bidding < $1.00, you most likely won't hit your daily budget). Test it.

clamchowderz, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  6. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    Like I said before, more info needed so I don't know why people are saying things like "set a budget of $10 per day".

If there's 1,000 searches for your keywords a day and they happen to cost $2 per click, $10 gets you around 5 clicks. You also are nowhere near having 100% exposure of your ads. Such a test would provide little to no value. Then again, if all you got is $10, any answer will be irrelevant.

7. Bagginthebargain

Bagginthebargain Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm more interested to know how effective it is. I have a website I want to draw traffic to, but I'm not sure if advertising through Google would be beneficial. I tend to avoid the advertisements myself and don't view them as having much value. (My opinion.) Let me explain what I mean...

When I do a search, I tend to ignore the ads and focus on what comes up organically. I find these results are more relevant. It's rare for me to click on an ad. Not sure if others think the same way.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Bagginthebargain, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  8. joe3llis

joe3llis Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello, newbie here,

It really depends on the person. I have a local business, I use PPC and I show up at the top organically. It never ceases to amaze me how many people click on my google ad instead of using the search results. So I keep using both since you never know what kind of person is browsing for what you're targeting.

joe3llis, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  9. journalist009

journalist009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can somebody elaborate over what is this budget is all about? I am a new webie and would like to knw whether one should have to deposit any amount to get affiliated and host google ads???

journalist009, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  10. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    Journalist009, you are confusing Adwords with Adsense. Adwords is an advertising medium like commercials on TV is a way for advertisers to promote their products on that medium. If I want to advertise my store on TV (or radio or newspapers), I buy advertisement. Same with search engines.

Those putting ads on their sites are not advertisers but publishers. That's the other side of the Adwords coin. That program is called Adsense. I can put ads on my site to make some money off ads shown on my site. Similar to having a newspaper and selling ads.

So, the advertisers want to pay to advertise on Google through the Adwords program. Publishers want to make money through the Adsense program by showing Adwords ads.

11. PeetrLavl

PeetrLavl Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Chicago,

On Adwords it takes a lot of spending to find how to spend wisely unfortunately. : )

To minimise the cost:

1. Find out what keyword phrases you want to advertise for. These ought be the phrases that bring the most conversions.
    2. Find out how to set the bids to get the most possible clicks for your budget. This isn’t necessarily the 1st page bid recommended by Google.

For instance I don’t have a budget high enough to manage 100% impressions right now – but I’m good at squeezing that budget for more clicks.

Thanks!

Peetr

PeetrLavl, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  12. jacwee

jacwee Peon

Best Answers:
    This is exactly what I am doing now setting budget $10/day for a new offer. Even if I get 5 clicks a day, I don't mind taking up to 30 days to collect meaningful data of how the offer responds in weekday and weekends.

To me, it is risky putting a $100/day budget on a money-sucking unoptimized campaign and running out of ammunition after 3 days.

It's a technique taught by several PPC gurus. I sleep better at night as I know I am capping my risks :) Once the campaign is tweaked and optimized, I scale it up to $100-$500/day.

That said, as a PPC beginner, it might be a tad aggressive going after the $2 keywords. It's ok to start bidding small with lower positions. There's always the opportunity to adjust the price slowly later to move your ads up.

There's basically no right or wrong answer. It depends on individual threshold, and if one can afford to put in more money to get data faster, it is also a good strategy to emulate.

jacwee, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  13. RickV.

RickV. Peon

Best Answers:
    jacwee: Why set your daily budget at $5 and optimize after 30days (ie after spending $150) when you can also set your dialy budget to $30 and spend the money in 5 days before optimizing?
    In the end it takes you $150 in money and the same amount of clicks, but you get the data much faster. The risk is not higher.

As for the bids, just start low. If the ROI is good, try to ramp up the bids to see if the added volume weighs up for the loss in margin.

P.s. of course there are factors like seasonal effects that could make it more wise to test for 30 days instead of 5. I've left that out of the equation.

RickV., Mar 26, 2011 IP
  14. jacwee

jacwee Peon

Best Answers:
    I keep on tweaking throughout, not after the 30 days. There are some non-converting keywords that invite a lot of clicks and if you pace yourself with a smaller budget initially, you should be able to catch them earlier before they cause a damage to your wallet.

I may start with $10 initially, and may scale up to $50/day 1 week later, depending on how good the conversions are.

The $10x30 vs $100x30 daily budget is just an analogy. PPC beginners who are trying to get their feet wet can consider taking a low-risk approach. Personally for me, I am conservative and like to start with smaller budgets for new campaigns. One of the PPC expert even suggested $1/day for newbies but I thought that's really too low.

If you have a bigger risk appetite, you can also start with $30 daily budget with the advantage of getting data faster.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    jacwee, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  15. hostas

hostas Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    all depends on your niche, how much your keyword is worth.
    But to have strickly buget is very important, otherway you will waste a lot of $$$

hostas, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  16. designtech44

designtech44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey is this the same stuff that google teaches In the google adwords certification course?

designtech44, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  17. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    As Rick said, the risk is the same whether you spend a fixed amount in a few days or a few months. It will just take you longer to realize that the campaign is not returning dividends. The bigger risk to me is creating a poor campaign with poor choice of keywords and uninspiring ads.

Lucid Web Marketing, Mar 27, 2011 IP
  18. NetAffiliate76

NetAffiliate76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would do some careful reading about using adwords for marketing if you're new to ppc.
    I would recommend anyone new to ppc to read "How To Succeed With Google AdWords"

NetAffiliate76, Mar 27, 2011 IP
  19. journalist009

journalist009 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks Lucid for explaining,, i knew the concept but wasn't clear on words,, thanks for all,,, i was inquiring about Adsense,, i have a small website and want to be a publisher. So, now plz take this as context and reply my query. :D

thanks and regards

journalist009, Mar 27, 2011 IP
  20. designtech44

designtech44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    is that the ebook by Brad Callens? That is a cool book and has lot's of details.... but I actually have signed into the google adwords education center program that is really cool. It is covering anyalitics too.

designtech44, Mar 27, 2011 IP