1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

beginner's advice?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Ronald Haynes, Jul 18, 2020.

Hi folks, I maybe incorrectly posted this in the web design forum, maybe better here. I am looking to build a simple website with e-commerce capabilities. I have reviewed a ton of options but can't see to find one which satisfies the following criteria:

i) a site which allows me to sell in Canada OR (Canada&US)
    ii) able to set flexible shipping criteria based on number of items
    iii) bulk upload/update of items (eventually ten of thousands) via csv/excel/etc
    iv) bulk upload automatically to pre-defined categories
    v) allow items with and without images
    vi) ideally allow simple text listing for items without images
    vii) 2-3 month (free( trial to see how it works
    viii) ongoing costs based on % of revenue
    ix) free hosting (subject to viii)

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Ronald Haynes, Jul 18, 2020 IP
  2. seo_buzz

seo_buzz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Considering the subject of your question, you are absolutely in correct place!

I am not too sure if you have checked the woocommerce to build your store, but it will support all features that you are searching for along with other customization. You can use wordpress to use woocommerce that means its free to use when you have your own hosting that can be bought at as low as five bucks.

Other cms such as shopify/bigcommerce etc usually charge a subscription and provide the ecommerces solution as SAAS. Many people prefer these cms as they provide all features including hosting. But their charge is quite high and has some limitations that can be unlocked by paying more subscription fees.

seo_buzz, Jul 18, 2020 IP
  3. Ronald Haynes

Ronald Haynes Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi - thanks for the reply. I checked it out. Unfortunately the hosting (with the recommended company) requires a years commitment with only a 30 day money back guarantee. Sales at the hoster would not budge unfortunately.

Ronald Haynes, Jul 18, 2020 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    A year is nothing in the life of an e-commerce site. You'll have barely started to build traffic and gain traction in that time.

Do you need the site to prove it's viability more quickly?

sarahk, Jul 18, 2020 IP
  5. Ronald Haynes

Ronald Haynes Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply - I agree with you. Having the 3 months with no or little cost is more about me having the time to get all my inventory uploaded and so on. As this is a "side gig", I can't commit to it full time.

Ronald Haynes, Jul 19, 2020 IP
  6. IAmTheAnswer

IAmTheAnswer Member

Best Answers:
    Building an e-commerce website requires money for you to start. The last 3 criteria that you mentioned are impossible to find. I suggest that you should not start building your e-commerce website if you're not willing to spend money and time for it.

IAmTheAnswer, Jul 20, 2020 IP
    seo_buzz likes this.
  7. komrad

komrad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    free hosting is impossible if you want to run it professionaly.

With the criteria you said you would need a costum coded website I'm afraid and this requires more money then using available shopping cart services.

komrad, Jul 25, 2020 IP
  8. Samantha Louis

Samantha Louis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, if you are serious in the e-commerce game you have to pay to build a decent website. Free platforms will not give you a good looking website nor the features you require. I am an e-commerce store owner and I use Shopify myself. This is after a long period of trial and error. I don't have technical expertise. If you are good with IT then you can consider Wordpress Woocommerce. It is very affordable and you can add on features easily at a low cost. You will have to host your own website, but hosting should not cost much. Hope this helps!

Samantha Louis, Jul 28, 2020 IP