1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Becoming a DMOZ editor

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by hdpt00, Aug 3, 2004.

If I want to become a DMOZ editor for the categroy my site is in, should I let them know I have a website in that category or should that be left a secret?

Currently there is only a handful of sites in the category I want and no editor. It is pretty low level category so hopefully I might have a good chance. Just looking to see how I could improve my chances...

Thanks for the advice!

hdpt00, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Let them know you have a site... you can even use it for one of your suggested sites (assuming it's fit for the category).

digitalpoint, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  3. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see some editors have profile pages with pr8 and links to their sites on these pages.

I know they stopped passing pr to the bookmarks section for each editor but am I right in saying it is worth disclosing from the simple point of view that if your profile page gets pr you are going to want to put links to your sites on it?

Dominic, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of the questions they ask, is if you have any affinity or business interst in the cat you apply for. tell a lie, and your dead in the water. then again, tell the truth & your dead in the water lol

Put your name down for Pope, you will have more chance of getting that :)

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  5. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely acknowledge your site. I did with mine and I was approved without any problem. It makes sense that if you have a site about some topic, that you are probably knowlegeable in that area and would make a good editor. You just can't give yourself preferential treatment.

mopacfan, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  6. bobafind

bobafind Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the big things is making sure your application's site suggestions are really relevant and unique. I made sure to disclose that I run a website that was pending approval and I was accepted. As long as you want to edit to help and not just boost yourself and knock your competitors you should be good.

bobafind, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  7. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    I applied to a couple of categories a while back (non-commercial areas) but was rejected both times (apparently). Sometimes I wonder if being involved in SEO/internet marketing doesn't raise red flags, even if I happen to run a few hobbyist non-profit info sites for sheer fun.

I. Brian, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  8. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I agree Brian, I applied for a small local category as it is simply not being built. I told them my interest, and was turned down!

I reapplied, again told them the score, they turned me down, AGAIN!

Lastly I had a meta editor write my application, and send it to me. I applied, and was rejected!

Crock of crap sorry, I am not sure who decides who will become an editor, but it seems to me like it is harder than the masons to get into to. At least there all you have to do is get referred and learn some bloody words from a book!

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree OWG, the whole dmoz thing is very strange. It's as if the higher ups live in some fantasy world where they think they are all powerful and wield their cepter as if they were kings. The thing I don't get is, why? I mean if they need people to build the index then why do they turn people down more than they accept them? I just don't get it.

It's a very narrow minded set that live there too. I found that the rdf dump was not being updated to Google or anyone else so I posted in the bugs forum and the response was "keep your mouth shut, I'm sure someone knows about it and it will be fixed soon". After a month, I keep speaking up and finally got a response that it was indeed broken and when this one meta editor looked into it, they were able to fix it and have it start updating the next day. If someone hadn't spoken up, the dang thing would still be inop. It's just this mentality that those at the top are some sort of gods and ye shall not dare anger the gods by speaking to them. It's a total load of crap.

I really like the dmoz and I like editing my category. I like to find other good Ford Truck sites and get them listed (there aren't that many it seems) and other than this update incident, I just take care of my little section and let the rest of the hierarchy worship themselves.

mopacfan, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  10. bobafind

bobafind Peon

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiousity, how long ago did you get them to fix the feeds? I've been waiting for my listing to get mirrored by the google directory for a few months now...

bobafind, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  11. hdpt00

hdpt00 Peon

Best Answers:
    As expected I got rejected for a tiny categroy that no one edits or adds anything to. Rather than let smoeone who knows bout the indutry edit it, they rather keep it blank with no additions ever.

Sweet move DMOZ. Yah, I'm bitter, but tat is why DMOZ is losing so much respect, they think they're gods when its a stupid ass directory. Fools.

hdpt00, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I applied for a category where I have 2 websites listed (someone with more than 2 brain cells would figure I have some experience on the subject)... 2 months later I got a cold email with a couple of lines saying I was rejected.

Meanwhile, the websites waiting for inclusion pile up...

DMOZ sucks...

fryman, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  13. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting into DMOZ is hard I'm an editor and it took me 3 attempts to get in, I thought the same way as everyone else here when I got rejected - But keep trying, they are wanting to approve editors, but they need to make sure people are wanting to help build the directoy rather than just use their editorship to add their own sites. This is why they are very strict on the applications, if you submit a site already listed you will get rejected, a good relevant website with a poor description - rejected.
    Alot of people argue that they dont give feedback to wannabe editors, why would they do this? So they can send the same application with the changes made and get approved - dont think so. I believe this forum is full of people who could edit specific categories, is just a case of taking the time to read the guidelines, finding good sites and applying to categories with less than 50 sites (smaller the better)

l234244, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    123, I hear what you are saying, but look at it like this. How are you supposed to know if a site is in the index when the search is constantly broken? can anyone remeber when it last worked?

As for well written, ha! I had a meta write my app, and look it over, but I was STILL rejected. Seems to me like some of those in power feel that it is better to reject anyone with a connection than to 'risk' the possibility of the precious directory being violated. Funny thing is that their own xenophobia has in fact turned the directory into a laughing stock. Sites are now sat waiting for years on end because there is no one there to accept or decline applications.

DMOZ is dying, the SEM world knows it. Either Google should buy it, OR Netscape should shut it down. I edit a category with a friend, am I an editor ? NOPE, was I accepted? NOPE do I approve, reject sites YES, am I biased? NOPE. Is my situation a joke? YES!

Many editors are doing nothing having moved on to other things, pages of green & reds lay all around crying out for help and a little love.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  15. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think we also need to take into account the number of applications they are reviewing every day. I think they should dismiss editors who are sitting twiddling there thumbs, i think its 6mths currently without login in there editing privelages are taking away.If they change this to 1 month then there will be more editing and less waiting time for inclusion.
    I dont see dmoz closing in the future, it is still a great directory if you are looking in a non biased edited category. It just needs a clear out of the people who have abused it.

l234244, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  16. comval

comval Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear you, not only has my main site never been added (Yes I have some affiliate content, but most of it is original, and I can find numerous affliate content site within DMOZ)
    But after reading this thread, I applied for a small category, regional, my home town in fact, only a handful of sires in it. I said nothing about my own site, even though it is local as well, but I was truelly interested in helping to build this category by reviewing sites about the residents, arts, entertainment, and business sites for my town. I submitted two great sites about a local historical theater and the local Chamber of Commerce, ans wrote the titles and descriptions just like the existing listings in that category.............REJECTED!

Big Freaking Surprise......

comval, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  17. radsoft

radsoft Guest

Best Answers:
    As it takes so long to get in here, why don't they grab every competent applicant and make use of them?

radsoft, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  18. hdpt00

hdpt00 Peon

Best Answers:
    They want to feel powerful. It's as simple as that. I wouldn't even give a crap if it weren't for google making it so important. Lower dmoz and all the clone dmoz content sites to a PR 2 and see who cares. Every editor will leave.

hdpt00, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  19. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello gang - I tried to become an editor for DMOZ in a category that was not related to my own site. (I am a web designer). The category for which I applied was "Womens Recreational Aviation" - they had no editor for that category, and I was an Army helicopter pilot for 7 years. I thought I had a good chance, but they rejected my application with explanation.

MOPACFAN - were you accepted on the first try, or did it take multiple attempts for you to become an editor?

jlerner, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  20. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I applied for and was accepted as an editor earlier this year. The category had two sites listed. I don't know if I know any secrets. I just followed their guidelines.

1 - I did not use a handle for my username. I used my name. Their guidelines suggested that they like that.

2 - I explained my knowledge of the category.

3 - I listed each and every affiliation I could think of including the site I had already submitted which was in the queue.

4 - I listed three sites I would add as an editor, including a "competing" site which had higher page rank and my own site.

My advice is not to disguise your affiliations. They have an affiliation data base and I have been filling it with all my affiliations. Guess I need to add digitalpoint now that I have posted enough here for this to be considered more than casual.

I don't know. It worked for me. It might be that the metas in the games heirarchy are looking for different criterion than other top level cats.

ziandra, Apr 6, 2005 IP