1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beating Writer's Block

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by A Purple Patch, Mar 21, 2013.

Writer’s Block is a common condition that affects almost all writers at some point during their career. This inability to clearly formulate and state concepts is often derived from either an overflow or a lack of ideas. There are a few basic practices that you can make use of to get your creativity flowing again, thus speeding up your writing and enriching your content.

Brainstorm! This is often viewed as time wasted as many seem to think that your time should be spent doing the actual writing itself. The formulation of ideas through logical reasoning and intelligent questioning can make the difference between just another article and a fantastic feature piece. There is no easier way to devise informative content. By listing all the features of the text that you are writing in one place you can then present questions to isolate that which has not yet been covered by other publications. Take a piece of paper, write down your ideas or keywords and then present each topic with a relevant question to be answered in your writing. The simple technique of categorizing and noting concepts on paper will do wonders for your content creation.

When you have been covering one subject extensively it is perfectly normal to feel as if you have run out of ideas. Step back, take a break and write something else. By covering an easier subject that is misrelated to the larger project at hand, you will regain the enthusiasm for writing itself. Writing for short periods at a time can also be extremely beneficial when trying to combat writers block, the influx of concepts often requires you to focus on each point, one at a time.

Writing is an art of self-expression. When writing for a client, take the time to consider what it is that they wish to express. If you are stuck not knowing how to cover the subject at hand place yourself in the footsteps of your employer. Another great way to produce sincere writing is to allow your creativity free and write badly! Begin writing passionately covering the subject from your predetermined view, do not allow yourself to be hindered by spelling mistakes, grammatical errors or anything else for that matter. Once you have completed a paragraph of text then, it is time for editing. Analyse that which you have written and restructure and correct accordingly. Releasing yourself from the stringent work ethic normally held in mind will breathe new life into your content.

There is no such thing as over researching. Search engines cover almost every subject completely through a simple web search, this is not even to mention scholarly articles, printed documentation, discussions and video content. There are many forms of inspiration when one feels “stuck”. Do not allow the temptation of rewriting to lure you wrong, your content should always be informative and unpublished. New ideas and questions can be posed easily once enough research has been provided into the subject. Digging up facts, opinions and more should never be seen as time wasted. Being afflicted by writers block is the waste of time, not the research!

There are few offerings that inspire greatness better than a reward, so treat yourself. Set a goal for your writing for the morning, or for even just the given article of writing. If you achieve your set goal within a defined time frame then take some time out to do what you enjoy. Do not allow yourself to play that game, watch that series or even smoke that bong if you have not reached your target. The act of rewarding yourself may seem trivial at first but try it; you will be rewarded with new found zest for the project at hand.

Writing should always involve a great amount of personal commitment and effort, regardless of the length or style required. By combating the moments wasted by wondering what to write next you can provide yourself greater productivity and higher quality to your clients. I hope that this post will assist at least a few when they encounter this frustration of writing.

A Purple Patch, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best cure for writer's block is to stop thinking. Watch cartoons, lay outside staring at the sky or with closed eyes, and veg out, etc. It frees your subconscious mind to do the work your conscious mind is blocked from.

Rukbat, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  3. dangerdiabolick

dangerdiabolick Member

Best Answers:
    TO me, I take a break for few days. I go outside, travel to a place around 200kms. I am a foodie, so go to new restaurants to try new recipes. I never turn on my PC for 2 or 3 days. When am back, I feel the urge to write with lot of ideas.

dangerdiabolick, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  4. A Purple Patch

A Purple Patch Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah you're right, I also find seclusion and food to be two great distractions!

A Purple Patch, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  5. SteveBar

SteveBar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, take some time out, if you get really stuck though consider using guest bloggers for some new content until your writers block goes away

SteveBar, Mar 25, 2013 IP
  6. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find the best cure for writer's block is just to clear my head, and keep a blog post Idea file close by. Sometimes we all just need a break from writing.

ninjamtlt1, Mar 26, 2013 IP