1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Basics of SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by crath, Jul 5, 2009.

Hello all, I've been a dev for awhile, and never really played in the crazy world of SEO.

I recently setup a forum that discusses a certain motorcycle that was just recently released, KTM's RC8. I have yet to find another site focused on the RC8 alone, but there are some KTM forums and such.

I have some basic keywords in, and a somewhat generic site description in, and wanted to know if you could throw any tips at me to get it a little better suited for SEO

thanks guys!

edit: forgot to include the link if you wanted to check out how I have stuff setup sofar, http://RC8riders.com

crath, Jul 5, 2009 IP
  2. JessieJames27

JessieJames27 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since that niche is not that very competitive, it would be easy for you to outrank other websites. Create more threads and optimize it on-page. Forums are really hard to promote, so prepare for a hard work of building links and promotion.

JessieJames27, Jul 5, 2009 IP
  3. tchooks

tchooks Peon

Best Answers:
    Get incoming links to your site, using the anchor text "KTM's RC8".

tchooks, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  4. steve_gts

steve_gts Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would change your keywords in the metta tags a bit, I always think you should always only use a word 3 times, also make the desciption meta a bit longer and if possible, change the title to exactly what you think people would search for.

Then yes, backlinks which include the search term, but do mix them up a bit, if all your B/L's have the same text you could get a Google penalty.

And I would also make a few more accounts on the forum, post some questions, then answer them with a different account. Basically get some content on there, otherwise when people do arrive, it looks empty, so they would probably leave and find a more generic forum but has more posts/visitors.

steve_gts, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  5. maureendonovan9

maureendonovan9 Guest

Best Answers:
    Use wordtracker for it it display good number of clicks at the daily basis

maureendonovan9, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  6. xpsave

xpsave Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that there aren't many people searching for "KTM's RC8". Free Keywordtracker says about 40 daily while google external tool says about 12000 per month. Who to believe? Anyway, you need to dig in and find those long tail keywords which will bring traffic to your forum. How? Try google's external keyword tool for suggestions but also brainstorm keywords relevant to your forum e.g. "KTM RC8 helmet", "KTM RC8 maintenance", "KTM RC8 exhaust" etc etc

Then start creating threads and content around these keywords

Another thing you can do is go on other relevant forums and provide useful advice. People will follow your signature if they perceive you as a reliable person.

As far as off page optimization, consider submitting your site to directories and also do some Social Media Optimization by creating relevant hubpages, squidoo lenses, wikis etc.

Let me know if you have any questions
    I hope this helps

xpsave, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  7. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, I've been doing this on every forum I could find, and I think its working out well. Thanks!

Yeah, I was considering doing this, just having multiple accounts logged in via multiple browsers, and act like im having a discussion with myself :p i just didnt feel right about doing it. I'll have to get around to doing that actually

thanks for the advice guys!

crath, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  8. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alright guys. Im having some issues, and I need your help.

Im getting lots of traffic for crap that... isn't anywhere on my site (and i checked if it was hacked and those keywords were making it in there anywhere and didnt find anything)

Im getting lots of crazy traffic from google, as you can see here http://imgur.com/nTtUa.jpg

at the time of the screenshot it wasnt as bad, but im still getting it. I was the original owner of the domain name.

also, I just tried that external keyword tool from google, and its giving me these keywords and such.

http://imgur.com/gTGtp.jpg

why might i be getting all this weird traffic? thanks!

crath, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  9. Kosmix5

Kosmix5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's why: Your forum had a total of 48 posts made by a sex spammer named "creefeAddence" with links that exactly correspond to the keywords you are referring to. Most of these posts were made on June 15th 2009though they appear to have been deleted. (I'd send you the link to the cached pages but it is extremely offensive.) If this jerk actually made it to post 48 without getting banned that tells me your forum's moderation may have been lacking. Just keep up with it on a daily basis.

Kosmix5, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  10. crath

crath Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ya i did have issues with spammers, but it was a dead sitting site for awhile so i didnt notice until after a few days of it happening, then they came back and i cleaned up right away. I figured after a few times of googlebots going over the site again, that wouldnt have been an issue.

guess so, ahg

crath, Jul 6, 2009 IP
  11. maureendonovan9

maureendonovan9 Guest

Best Answers:
    Social media is become a good part of link building. using SNP you can get relevant traffic and conversion hits.

maureendonovan9, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  12. Alan Smith

Alan Smith Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi crath,

I would really suggest you to add more different keywords for your site and also it is not good to repeat the same keywords more number of times.

It would be better if you add more description in the meta tags.

Also create more number of backlinks that might help a lot in SEO...

Cheers!!!

Alan Smith, Jul 7, 2009 IP