1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BANS getting footprint

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by priyaranjan2000, Dec 18, 2007.

Hi,

How to avoid BANS footprint. Creating multiple sites which has been band by goolge.Any one having this problem before.

priyaranjan2000, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  2. vinner

vinner Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you explain bit more ? so tht we can understand your problem.

vinner

vinner, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  3. darkmessiah

darkmessiah Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm calling this "keyword ban"

I would suggest that if you use bans, you select a very targeted niche then move on to another bans site using another targeted niche. Each site will eventually get "banned" from Google based on that keyword.

darkmessiah, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  4. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe what they mean is that a site created using BANS has a "footprint" which is detected by Google. You come across other software/scripts that generate websites for you on the fly, but Google always works out the "footprints" of these sites and is able to identify them and adjust its place in the SERPs or ban it altogether.

The niche is irrelevant in this case, it is simply Google detecting a script-created website.

I believe they are making version 3 of BANS which will take away some of the main issues affecting BANS sites currently.

My experience with BANS with one site saw it go from page 2 - page 32 a couple of days after implementing BANS. I checked it yesterday and it was on page 80. This site is a .net of the actual item being sold and has some content on it besides the BANS stuff, so I was quite suprised by the SERP penality.

Claudek, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I honestly don't think that a script footprint is enough to totally kill your site. Look at how many people are using WordPress.

If your site has unique content, Google will see it.

Kerosene, Dec 19, 2007 IP
    login likes this.
  6. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is not a fair comparison in this regards. I meant script software that basically autogenerates your site - think Traffic Equalizer for eg which generates an entire site for you based on keywords and includes ads etc.
    It appears Google is bundling BANS into the same category as that type of script. I am not sure why, but as already mentioned with my example, my BANS site has gone from page 2- page 80 in a week even though it has content besides the BANS stuff.

Claudek, Dec 19, 2007 IP
    biziboy likes this.
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If you use BANS 'out of the box' then of course you're going to eventually have footprint issues. If you add some unique content, you effectively distort the footprint. With a bit of work you can mangle BANS beyond recognition :)
    ----
    Regarding Google dropping sites... I've noticed that a few of my custom eBay sites (NOT BANS) were totally dumped about 2 weeks ago... and have only started to resurface on Google in the last 48 hours. Google do whatever they want :)

Kerosene, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  8. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Kerosene that the out of the box template is not going to create the sort of footprint that Google will downgrade. The problem, as I see it, is that the sites are saturated with the standard eBay "rover" affiliate links and images. That's what creates the "footprint" that the algorithym will spot as a "thin affiliate site" leading to a plunge in rankings.

I agree that adding some useful written content may help, but it's difficult, IMO, to overcome the affiliate footprint. The remedy, we're told, is on the way with the next BANS version/update which will mask the links and images. In theory, this will eliminate the affiliate footprint, since the links and images will appear to be on your site.

When this occurs, it is not to say that you can refrain from adding useful additional content. Far from it. You still need to distinguish your site and get a ton of links pointing to your pages.

potentmix, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  9. WharfeValley Systems

WharfeValley Systems Active Member

Best Answers:
    i have out of the box Bans sites still ranking extremely high (top 2) for their keywords!

But yep the next update for bans should help a lot with google slapping us about because of our rover links!

WharfeValley Systems, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  10. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that Google is powerful AND intent on keeping cookie-cutter sites out of their listings, at least out of the top of the listings. So even if BANS 3 is able to mask their stuff, don't you think Google will eventually figure that out too and BANS users will be in the same boat?

BTW how many sites need to be detected before Google figures out that they are all a little too similar? The WordPress example comes to mind, they're often structurally very similar, yet one presumes that's ok.

LongHaul, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  11. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, it'll be a long time, if ever, for them to figure it out. And, what if they do figure it out at some indefinite time in the future? Until then, make hay while the sun shines. Build content, get links, promote, and there's always ppc and advertising. For now, Google's not gonna go to war where the algo can't spot affiliate links, IMO. Currently, they're locked in battle against paid links.

That said, it could be that a hand review of your site with masked links might raise eyebrows. But that's about it. Those are rare. Google's whole business model is anti human review.

potentmix, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  12. decodethis

decodethis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My latest BANS sites are cloaked to the nines. I try to eliminate every major footprint of BANS short of renaming the styles in the stylesheet. We'll see how successful they are. Meanwhile my uncloaked BANS sites still bring in money...

decodethis, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  13. LongHaul

LongHaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Your iPhone store looks nice. But how do you get traffic to such a competitive market, without any extra content?

LongHaul, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  14. decodethis

Best Answers:
    It's a work in progress actually. :) I literally *just* launched it yesterday. I haven't had the chance to get some content written for it, nor has it really been tuned for SEO. Plus I'll be pushing traffic to it in other ways. :)

I'm on vacation until the end of the year. My goal is to have 25 active BANS sites up by then. I just launched #14. :) I'm averaging about 2 a day (not perfectly tuned, but up and getting indexed), so I'm hoping to meet my goal amongst the other crap I've got going.

decodethis, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  15. Swerd

Swerd Active Member

Best Answers:
    do you make a decent amount of money from 14 bans sites? eg over $100/day?

Swerd, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  16. grwolz

grwolz Guest

Best Answers:
    Looks like the same thing has happened to me, I had a store in the number 1-3 spots in Google (very small niche) and its now on page 5. eBay auctions and amazon categories are above me now.. what total BS.

Looks like I need to do some serious link building.

grwolz, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  17. dafool

dafool Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't have a problem with my BANS store getting traffic from google. Should improve, like WharfeValley Systems said with BANS 3.0

dafool, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  18. darkmessiah

darkmessiah Peon

Best Answers:
    page 5 is better than being completely delisted for your keywords, beside, do you really think your deserve spots 1-3 over the giants themselves?

darkmessiah, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  19. decodethis

Best Answers:
    Let's just say I make a sizable profit for the amount of effort I expend. :)

I've got the whole BANS site thing down to a science now. I can launch a site with a customize template and all my modifications in place in about an hour. I then spend another hour futzing with the categories. Another hour to SEO it up to a point I feel comfortable with it, then off I go.

decodethis, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  20. grwolz

grwolz Guest

Best Answers:
    Some niches don't have "giants" and yes my site does actually belong on the first page. I am 100% sure that my page and its content is better than random eBay auctions , msn shopping search results or a MySpace thread. An entire site about a subject should rank better than random free blog posts or a single flicker image.

I just checked again and my site is no longer within the first 25 pages. That hurts esp since my domain name is the key word...

grwolz, Dec 20, 2007 IP