1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Banner Creation

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Smitty218, Nov 30, 2005.

I am looking for someone to direct me to the right program or tool. I am looking to create my own banners, but I have no idea where to start. I know that I can have a banner made cheap, but I like putting my own TED, into my project, "time, effort, and dedication". lol, anyways, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Thanks

Smitty218, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use gimp for my banners ( and all other graphics and image manipulation as well !)
    http://www.gimp.org/
    Gimp is available for WIN and Linux and has the bannerformat already predefined in its default formats.

after creating your banner you may need a gif-cruncher to reduce the banner size to a useful file size

you may download a gif cruncher for WIN XP - such as
    http://www.spinwave.com/
    or you may use their online free cruncher service
    http://www.spinwave.com/crunchers.html
    for limited crunching - the online service was perfect for my banners - the download tool is for highest crunching only ...
    crunching to reduce the size of the banner to the limits - depending on how or where you want to use your banners

many regular banner exchange programs have strict limits to file size - usually in the range of 9kb to 12kb
    only dating sites have banner sizes allowed up to several ten kb or no limits at all ( because they need such size for their girl pics ;-)

I am sure their are certainly many other graphic tools as well to make banners

hans, Dec 1, 2005 IP
  3. tommie

tommie Guest

Best Answers:
    adobe all the way, I find the gimp interface kinda annoying (maybe because I'm used to PS)

tommie, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Personnally, I find banners that have been done by programs etc. look unprofessional. You'd be best getting a graphic designer to do the work foryou - yes it's more expensive, but how much is the unprofessional banner going to cost you?

DarrenC, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  5. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Came highly recommended. I know the guy that made the testimonial.

http://www.20dollarbanners.com/index.php

Free version has a watermark - paid banner design is SUPER affordable.

I've been doing it myself with a cheap very easy graphic program called Becker Draw. Love this program for quick and easy stuff.

5starAffiliates, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  6. Vega

Vega Peon

Best Answers:
    get photoshop, the pro use it ... it's a bit hard in the beginning, but after a few months, you should get the nag of it ...

you can always just contact me also, I am working with photoshop for over a year ...

add me on msn if you are interested, or want me to explain some photoshop stuff :)

Vega, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  7. someguy

someguy Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree that sometimes banners done without any design expierence can have a negative impact.

However you have to start somewhere, I would reccomend using Fireworks by Macromedia, you can download a trial copy from their site.

Just as a tip use banners you think work well as inspiration and don't try and reinvent the wheel!

someguy, Dec 7, 2005 IP
  8. flash_f

flash_f Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that sometimes banners done without any design expierence can have a negative impact.

flash_f, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  9. n1kk178

n1kk178 Guest

Best Answers:
    Wheres a good place to go to make your own free banners nikki:)

n1kk178, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  10. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    shahab6, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  11. codeteacher

codeteacher Peon

Best Answers:
    Use photoshop if you want to make something professional. It's the only program I use for creating designs/banners/websites/whatsoever together with Crimson Editor. Photoshop is brilliant... You can download a demo at adobe.com

codeteacher, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  12. remington`

remington` Guest

Best Answers:
    If you are new to the concept of graphic design, then Fireworks (macromedia) may be a better choice than PS. Learning Photoshop can be a very daunting task for a graphics noobie. But keep in mind, Fireworks isnt nearly as powerful as photoshop, and if you are looking to build impressive banners/images you are eventually going to have to use it.

remington`, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  13. blakekr

blakekr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could probably hire out this project for *very* cheap. Doing your own work is okay if it's fun for you, but if you're just starting with design, the end result may not perform (or brand your business) the way you'd like.

blakekr, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  14. Maze

Maze Peon

Best Answers:
    I always use photoshop for every graphical thing i have to create. Even if you dont know how to use it, just search with google for tutorials or premade filters. There are tons of sites with tutorials.

Maze, Jan 25, 2006 IP