1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

banner counter doesn't work correctly

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by leofire, Dec 17, 2012.

Hi to all,

I'm in trouble, I wrote a PHP script in order to store in a Database how many times the banner are viewed in particular the query that make the update is:
    $queryUpdBanner = "UPDATE $nomeTabBannerAziende SET visualizzazioni = visualizzazioni + 1 WHERE key_bnr = '$idBanner' LIMIT 1";
    $sqlUpdBanner = @mysql_query($queryUpdBanner);

key_bnr is an autoincrement primary key of that table.
    This query is not in a while or for cycle. All my script for all format work in this manner:
    - for this specific format
    - for every banner that I can find
    - based by probability (from 1 to 5) put the id of this banner into an array (if probability is 1 put just 1 id, otherwise put the same id 1,2,3,4 or 5 times into that array).
    - select a random number from 1 to number of the element into this array
    - select that specific id and extract the specific banner (JPG,GIF,SWF,PNG, HTML)
    - increase the views for thi specific id.

Into stage area where I'm alone, if I try with three different curl (for($i=1;$i<301;$i++)) the banner will be counted correctly but into the live site it does not in particular, from Google Analytics I have this result:
    Visits: 13,363
    Unique Visitors: 12,005
    Pageviews: 36,414

Into my table, for a specific format (300x250) I have:
    visualizzazioni: 94.031

I have searched the name of the table in all php script and it's appear only in my php script for every format (ads_300x250.php, ads_728x90.php ads_300x250_2.php and so on) and in every script I set the format in my head section in order to select only the banner for that specific format (300x250, 728x90, 300x250_2 and so on).

In order to understand what happened I have also removed that banner from the 404 page and the standard page that I use for system message.

I have also counted the unique ip addresses into my log file with:
    cat logfile.log | grep "16/Dec/2012" | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c

it show me 12.883

I still monitoring the situation but I don't know where I wrong :confused:
    Can anyone help me ?
    Thanks in advance to everybody,

Leo

leofire, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  2. PYO

PYO Member

Best Answers:
    Try awstats for log analyzing. The problem is obvious: there are many bots/spiders that your scripts counts also.

PYO, Dec 18, 2012 IP
  3. leofire

leofire Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi PYO, thanks for your reply but is not so easy...

Into my script I block for spider with this part:
    if ( ! function_exists('getIsCrawler'))
    {
    function getIsCrawler($userAgent) {
    $crawlers = 'Google|msnbot|Rambler|Yahoo|AbachoBOT|accoona|AcioRobot|ASPSeek|CocoCrawler|Dumbot|FAST-WebCrawler|GeonaBot|Gigabot|Lycos|MSRBOT|Scooter|AltaVista|IDBot|eStyle|Scrubby|proximic|bingbot|sistrix|Yandex';
    $isCrawler = (preg_match("/$crawlers/i", $userAgent) > 0);
    return $isCrawler;
    }
    }

$iscrawler = getIsCrawler($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']);

if (!($iscrawler))
    {
    $queryUpdBanner = "UPDATE $nomeTabBannerAziende SET visualizzazioni = visualizzazioni + 1 WHERE key_bnr = '$idBanner' LIMIT 1";
    $sqlUpdBanner = @mysql_query($queryUpdBanner);
    }

but the result is not correct, for example:
    19-12-12 (24h)
    Impression delivered: 66.449

Analytics stats:
    Visits: 13.399
    Unique Visitors: 12.005
    Pageviews: 35.374

Is this incorrect ? :confused:

What could go wrong ?
    Thanks for your support,

Leonardo

leofire, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  4. PYO

PYO Member

Best Answers:
    Leonardo,

please read my previous comment carefully. With such code you still count hits, but not visitors (yes, you are not counting hits from Google|msnbot|Rambler|Yahoo|AbachoBOT|accoona|AcioRobot|ASPSeek|CocoCrawler|Dumbot|FAST-WebCrawler|GeonaBot|Gigabot|Lycos|MSRBOT|Scooter|AltaVista|IDBot|eStyle|Scrubby|proximic|bingbot|sistrix|Yandex).
    1) This list is outdated and far from being complete.
    2) This code will count hit from bot with user agent
    Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Baiduspider/2.0; +http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.html)
    or
    Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 5.1; U; ru) Presto/2.9.168 Version/11.51

PYO, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  5. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I'm understanding you, you can't update an autoincrement field. It autoincrements on every insert (so each record has a unique value for that field). It's used as an ID field, not a counting field. (Consider it a read-only field.)

Rukbat, Dec 20, 2012 IP
  6. leofire

leofire Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi PYO,

thanks for your suggestion! I have update the list and now everything works fine!
    This is my bot&spider list:
    $crawlers = 'Google|msnbot|Rambler|Yahoo|AbachoBOT|accoona|AcioRobot|ASPSeek|CocoCrawler|Dumbot|FAST-WebCrawler|GeonaBot|Gigabot|Lycos|MSRBOT|Scooter|AltaVista|IDBot|eStyle|Scrubby|proximic|bingbot|sistrix|Yandex|Baidu|Presto|Jike|Yodao|Ahrefs|WebZIP|Sosospider|OpenindexSpider|Exabot|UptimeRobot|ezooms|MJ12bot|Phantom| AcoonBot|WBSearchBot|CareerBot|Yeti|Girafabot|psbot|TurnitinBot|4SeoHuntBot|Mail.RU_Bot';

Many thanks and good christmas,

Leonardo:D

leofire, Dec 22, 2012 IP