1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Banned from Google - ideas on how to reinstate?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by nevg, Dec 9, 2008.

I recently bought a site which is banned by google.

I clearly want to reinstate the site, but the reason for the ban is unclear.

There is no content duplicated elsehwere, there are no hidden links or text, the site has not been down and is well aged, so this just leaves one option to me, inbound links from a bad neighbourhood.

There are literally over 1000 inbound links, so identifying each individually to establish which are bad will be near impossible.

Is there anything i can do to get the site back into google?

nevg, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  2. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the URL of the site so we can see what your are talking about?

catanich, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  3. Vigor

Vigor Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummm.... you cant bet banned form having inbound links from bad neighbourhoods. Only those links will carry no or little value for your site.

There is a reconsideration tool in webmaster tools that will have google take another look at your site. Also ive heard that site bans only last 3 months (could be wrong)

Vigor, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  4. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should examine the external links on the website itself. Those links could cause such a ban. Since the site does have over 1000 links, perhaps those links were built up too quickly with the same anchor text. Although people claim you can't get penalized for backlinks, many people do believe you can get penalized for a big surge of unnatural looking links.

You should try contacting Google and let them know the entire situation. They may tell you what is wrong or they might not respond at all.

Is the site banned from the index or is it a ranking penalty?

If you tell us the url, we can check it out and we might notice something that you missed.

vansterdam, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  5. dollarshower

dollarshower Active Member

Best Answers:
    Usually it takes two or three weeks to hear from Google AdSense support. What did you do to get banned? Is it total ban or you see public service ads? Sometimes due to offencive keywords (terror, bomb explosion etc) the ads stops serving temporarily in which case hiding one post at a time might help.

http://www.dollarshower.com/avoidable-google-adsense-ban/

dollarshower, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  6. nevg

nevg Peon

Best Answers:
    the site is knittingplaza.com

The site was banned when i bought it, so not sure on the reason why it got banned initially. It still gets healthy traffic despite the ban, but obviously i'm hoping to have the ban overturned to improve the traffic even more.

There was one outbound link (in the banner adverts at the bottom of the homepage), which I have now removed as I know google dont approve of paid links (without a nofollow) http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66736

I've also submitted a reconsider request, but am struggling for other ideas. Appreciate any ideas.

nevg, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  7. rbucich

rbucich Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it does appear that you are banned.

Google is really frowning upon directories in general right now. If you want re-inclusion, you will want to show that your site is a valuable resource for people searching on Google. My guess is that it won't be approved if you're not substantially different than other existing sites. At this point, just being clean won't be sufficient.

While I don't think a ban can result from inbound links from a bad neighborhood, it can result in a penalty (personal experience so this isn't up for debate).

I see 600 inbound links or so on Yahoo Site Explorer, most of which are from directories which will be next to worthless as evidence of the site's value.

If you had unique content and had natural inbound links, I'd say that you might be reconsidered.

Personally, I think you will have a MUCH MUCH easier time starting fresh with a new domain.

I am not trying to be negative, just think you deserve the truth. Glossing over the issue only encourages you to waste time on this domain IMHO.

Again, sorry for the candor but thought it was pertinent in this case.

rbucich, Dec 9, 2008 IP
    sweetfunny likes this.
  8. seohelp

seohelp Peon

Best Answers:
    well its not like that if your site is old. Only new sites are banned if such things happen. Getting huge number of links from same domain or getting large number of backlinks with in short period of time will only effect the sites which are new.

seohelp, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  9. sripat

sripat Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi

there are various reasons due to which google bans websites

i would like to share some of them with you

1. too much link building in a short time hampers your website a lot and makes google suspicious
    2.back links from bad neighbourhoods or from unrelated sites also damage your site's reputation
    3. a lot of promotion done at early stages of a website may alo be one of the reasons for this

anyways best of luck with your website :):)

hope it goes a long way :)

thanks,
    sripat

sripat, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  10. sweetfunny

sweetfunny Banned

Best Answers:
    Congratulations, you have won my "Most sensible and factual post on DP i've seen all day" award.

Have a Rep+ :D

OP read this post twice.

sweetfunny, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  11. OnlineVista

OnlineVista Banned

Best Answers:
    That is what the general notion is and that is what I believe in but there is also a different school of thought on this:

"Will links from bad sites hurt my rankings?

The answer is generally 'no' but there are some qualifications. Everyone has some bad links pointing to them through no fault of their own. What can make a difference is the percentage of your total links that are "bad" and how they point to you.

Ask yourself this: Does your inbound link profile look like it was manipulated, overly-optimized, and illicitly acquired? If it looks that way to you, it'll look that way to the engines."

P.S The text in quote is an excerpt from SeoMoz blog. I can't post links as of yet.

OnlineVista, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  12. Mrmedia

Mrmedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what you have to do. I have been penalized a long while back. Still was not a ban though.

- Take all links down. (Hard Link Trades)
    - Change all titles and change HTML up on your site
    - Delete a lot of the content pages and make new simular ones.

Other things You must do.
    - Stop spamming forums or getting bad nieborhood links. (WHITE HAT REMEMBER, NO BLACK HAT)

Thats about all you can do. Hope google will see that and index you again.

Mrmedia, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  13. cheapez

cheapez Active Member

Best Answers:
    If me, I would buy that site at first, now if you want to sell the site, who will buy it?
    I would register a new domain name and reuse the contents from that banned site, that is the only thing you can do.

cheapez, Dec 10, 2008 IP