1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"banned" colors?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by disgust, May 20, 2004.

this is something odd I just noticed.

some of the defaults- raspberry smoothie, for example- have certain colors that aren't selectable in the color boxes.

are we allowed to use these hex values or not? seems very odd to me that they're not selectable.

disgust, May 20, 2004 IP
  2. rfuess

rfuess Guest

Best Answers:
    There is nothing "banned" about any colors. If it works in the browsers your visitors will use, then it is OK.

Some non-standard named colors may not view the same (or at all) in different browsers. If you are using one of the 16 standard "named" colors, like "red" or "green", all browsers will support them just fine. Some browsers may interpret additional named colors, but I don't advise their use. Use a hex in this case.

As for the "hex" colors, there is no "banned" or non-functional one, so long as it follows the hex rules. 0-9 or A-F, 6 characters preceded by a "#". (This allows over 16 million combinations!)
    Sample: #0020b0.

There are many hex combinations that you will not be able to distinguish between, since they are computationally so close. But I have not come across any that do not function properly. I test my sites in Mozilla, IE and Opera. (I also test in Netscape and WebTV, but I don't always expect full functionality with these - especially with javascript. With regards to background or font colors, there has been no problems though.)

If you want, try using one of the more extensive color charts. I built a rather extensive one to help my clients pick their colors. Feel free to use it; it shows the named colors at the top. Its at www.Spiderweblogic.com/HTML-color-chart.aspx

rfuess, May 20, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    well, you're not allowed to edit the code, technically, I assumed that meant you could only use the color provided by their hex/color chart?

I just think it's weird that they use some colors in their templates that they don't include in the chart.

disgust, May 20, 2004 IP
  4. ephricon

ephricon Peon

Best Answers:
    I must be missing something here. Who is "they" and what program/application is "their" color chart provided in?

ephricon, May 21, 2004 IP
  5. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    i believe disgust is referring to google's adsense program.

dazzlindonna, May 21, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you can create any colour you wish through the hex box. Just import the hex code from PS or DW or whichever you are using. I have never had any colours not work. Maybe I am confused here.

NewComputer, May 24, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    maybe I'm just confused, then.

it always seemed to me that you couldn't input colors- or hex values- you had to select from the ones they offered. :\

disgust, May 24, 2004 IP
  8. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am positive you can edit the colours (Canadian) through hex. That is a major factor on me deciding to use AdSense. When you login, click the add layout. You will see a link to 'manage colors' I believe. From there, you have 5 different categories to change.

NewComputer, May 25, 2004 IP
  9. annasecond

annasecond Peon

Best Answers:
    I,also, am positive that you can't alter the code after its generated. I know that you can use the colors and generic borders that will blend in with your site. G rules say that you can't make the adsense shout attention with flashy media or the sort.

annasecond, Feb 7, 2008 IP