1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Band Logo - $30

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by Hecky, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    DustyDog, dissapointed to see that this these images you come up with are off a font? :( Only just found out

Hecky, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  2. Tropica

Tropica Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 2
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    to be fair its only for $30, the time it takes to draw them up from scratch is worth quadruple that at least, you get what you pay for

Tropica, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  3. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yeah bespoke logo design, that is fully original design and drawing is worth a lot more than most of the contests on here. Obviously for $30, nobody is going to spend 10 hours on something are they.

DaveyBoy, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  4. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Why dissapointed? It's all about implementation of different mediums. This is what art is. I could vector an image of a guitar or a mic, but that would take hours of work.

As has been said above, and I will add, this is normal for these kind of competitions. I'll draw it out for you, create a font and make it available in A1 banner size, but that'd cost you $500+.

As I said, it's all about implementation. I edited the font somewhat (to make it two tones, not one) and, of course, I implemented it into the kinda thing you require.

Sorry to see you dissapointed, but no one here is going to spend anymore more than 1 hour creating a logo at these rates. :)

DustyDog, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  5. Hecky

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I would be very happy earning $30 / hour for designing logos.

I am only 13, and $30 is hard to get :(

Hecky, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  6. Pixel Dynamics

Pixel Dynamics Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hello,

Here is what I came up with. I think it would look very cool on the base drum. :)

[​IMG]

Regards,
    - Nick

Pixel Dynamics, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  7. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    When you're good it can be upwards of $100 per hour. That's just the going rate for quality design work.

Hopefully you get a good logo for your $30 anyway, that one is very good from dustydog regardless of it's origins.

8. Hecky

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yeah, but now that I have the font, I can make this logo by myself, so can anyone which is what I don't like.

@Pixel

It's a nice design, but I don't see how it reflects DrainBramage (Brain Damage) or music in any way?

Hecky, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  9. Pixel Dynamics

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    haha. i dunno.
    gimmie some time to modify it.

I wasnt thinking... i guess im the one with drain bramage.

10. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    ... and of course, you're very welcome to try. It's a free world.

Anyone can pick up a paint brush, put some paint on it and paint onto some paper. But how many can use the these tools (fonts/colors/graphics) and come up with something creative? It's like some people can cook so well. You give them any ingredients and it's like magic; they come up with an awesome dish.

Give 5 of the same random ingredients to me, and a world chef class chef and he'll always come out on top, and that applies to the majority, 'cause the chef just 'can'.

I've been designing for 3 years now and I can use my tools such as fonts, graphics, Photoshop and all the techniques involved in creating what I see in my mind. I don't search for something and say 'That'll do'. I decide what I want then go about doing it.

See? At the end of the day, it's all relative. If you have the same tools as me, can you do better? No, because you haven't been designing for 3 years and I have. Ok, that logo doesn't show 3 years of skill, but the price doesn't tell me to give all that effort.

I hope this clears it up for you, and helps you understand a few things.

11. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Also, design changes all the time. Trends, patterns, shapes and sizes. It's the knowledge of 'What's hot' and 'What's not' that can make or break a logo. Some people love 70s style text, but do they love it in bland 70s colours for a website? No way, so you have to spice it up, put some shine into it.

I have so many points, but I'll stop here. As you can guess, I don't like my work being spoken about as some kind of template design that anyone can do. 'Cause your average joe just can't.

12. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yeah basically anyone can do it, but would you have had that idea in the first place? Doubt it.

13. Pixel Dynamics

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Alright, what do you this of this?

[​IMG]

Regards,
    - Nick

14. Hecky

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The whole idea of this is that I have the idea for the logo, and you are the one who makes it, is it not?

Hecky, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  15. Hecky

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Nice! To avoid the events that have just happened, can you say where your images are from?

Hecky, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  16. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You knew you wanted a 'rock' logo, I think of the idea, I create the idea and that is the point of a contest. I use my tools to create something you may like in order to be paid for it. Plain and simple.

If I win, woo hoo. If not, next, move on. This is what everyone here does. No one spends hours labouring and creating graphics for $30. I used the tools in my own way to create something. The possibility of somebody creating the same idea is pretty much zero. I can re-create all the logos I see on this site for ~$100.

A lot of people here are found to be using templates. Simply changing the writing and colours of a logo then reselling it. A lot of people blatantly copy. But some people, like myself, see it for the design and fun of using their tools and creating an image which not only rewards the buyer, but the creator, too.

17. zinruss

zinruss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    To be honest, i am impress with DustyDog's work. Designer must have the following:
    1) Good knowledge of photoshop, flash, fireworks, macromedia director and illustrator ( if possible )
    2) Creativity - not easy, sometime designer have to drive to other places just to get an "idea".

The best thing in life is shared. Hecky, no offence, i believe paying someone to create a logo is better than spending a few months just to learn how to design using the tools.

Just my 2 cents

zinruss, Mar 21, 2007 IP
  18. Pixel Dynamics

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hello, I get my images from a variety of stock sites. Free and paid.

These ones came from stock exhange. A site which Im a member off. I cropped the images myself and adjusted the color balance.

Thanks,
    - Nick

19. Pixel Dynamics

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Heres a modified version:

[​IMG]

PS: We would have to change the slogan/phrase under the logo to somthing else. :p

Regards,
    - Nick

20. DustyDog

DustyDog Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Exactly. Everyone learns from everyone elses art and incorporates the bits they like into their own style.

Let me break down my logo.

1. I used the mic 'font' and changed it to two tones and rotated.
    2. I used the text font, wrote the name, one side #333333 colour, the other #CC0000.
    3. I drew a white circle above the name, selected the name, inversed the selection and deleted that selection from the white circle. I then set it to 25% opacity for the 'glossy' look.
    4. I selected the red colour of the mic and used the same technique for a glossy look.
    5. I changed the font, keeping the same colours.
    6. I then used the guitar from the font, changed it to two colours again, and you liked it. Job done.

Now, you've found the font, I've told you how to create it. So, who needs to pay? I won't argue over $30 if you think you've made a point. Even with these instructions, I think you'll still struggle.

So, do as you wish, but remember, you started this competition. It was my 'idea' and that's what art is. Ideas. Built, evolved, learnt and discovered over thousands of years, like everything else.