1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bad neighborhood

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by msaad, Aug 25, 2004.

Hi,
    Great idea. This marketing network is really really good. I just joined, and i like it.
    I have a small question though. Is there anykind of supervision for the people who put their ads?
    What if a webmaster is spamming Google somehow. He joins the network, and now starts to have links to his site. Google will penalize me, because i am linking to a bad neigbourhood site.
    Is there a solution for this?

For example. Today, i found this link at my page..
    http://www.equusbusinessfinance.co.uk/
    If this site is not already banned by Google, it will be... Really soon! :)

Any suggestions to deal with this kind of stuff?

msaad, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  2. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    I am sorry, but what is wrong with the page? In what way are they risking a ban? Are there any cloaking involved?

Sorvoja, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There isn't a way to automatically know what Google would considered a "bad neighboorhood", if that's what you are asking?

digitalpoint, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  4. msaad

msaad Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi sorvoja,
    Hmm... you are here too! :) How are you doing?

There is just too much keyword stuffing, and link stuffing... The links at the bottom are too much. The pages they point to aren't much better either. It uses those automatically generated smart pages. The author of the program himself advises people to host those things on a different domain than the main one, because there is a possiblilty of them being banned.

Anyway, even if this specific one isn't that bad, what about the possibility in general?

msaad, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Doubtful... it's a judgment call so it's impossible to write a program to properly decide that.

digitalpoint, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  6. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    well it doesnt seem to appear in the SERPS so who cares ?

leeds1, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google does NOT ban pages for keyword stuffing, it just filters out their effectivenes via their algo.

Google rarely bans pages actually. & when they do, it is normally high profile, Like Traffic Power, Search King etc.

Google can handle blatant amateur spamming with ease, things like stuffing & spammy links at the bottom of the page etc. What gets pages banned is use of cloaking, & I don't mean silly amatuer java redirects, I mean proper cloaking. Server side scripting that detetct the spiders and delivers totally different content for them to apply their algo to, then delivering another set of (visitor) content to the known browsers. Javascript hidden redirects & lots of them on a page (a company already mentioned had up to 200 on a page, hidden away, all link farming) Doorway pages, Hidden links to a link farm etc. These are the things that will get you banned.

So the next time you sign up to an old fashioned link farm (add you site to this page and then place it on your site) take heed , that this is the sort of thing that can get you caught in a trawl by a google algo update.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  8. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    Hi, Thank you :) I am doing fine. You are new here, welcome to the Digital Point forums :)

I must admint that I have never seen any effects of links to a bad neighborhoods, but it is nice to have that issue addressed. Honestly I do not find the web site in question to be any over the top spammy, so I would not fear any negative effects at all. However it would be wise (and nice) if the members of the ad network refrained from linking to websites that contains to much spam. But then again I do not think Shawn would let any ill things happen to any member, all the ads are reviewed.

Sorvoja, Aug 25, 2004 IP
  9. kaptain

kaptain Peon

Best Answers:
    kaptain, Aug 25, 2004 IP