1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Backup, recovery and upgrade strategy for Drupal

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Red Paul, Mar 18, 2010.

Having built several Drupal sites, I live in fear of wrecking them! I hate doing upgrades and always get messages that I should upgrade AGAIN due to some new patches.

Any tips for a properly structured regime to keep my sites up to date without risk of losing what I've built up over the years (including added modules and minor customisation of CSS/php)

Thanks
    P

Red Paul, Mar 18, 2010 IP
  2. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Backup the database and be sure to keep a local copy.
    Backup all your files (or at least your module files if upgrading a module) and be sure to keep a local copy.

that's really all i do. FWIW, if upgraded modules hundreds of times or more, and only run into a problem ONCE, so i'd say module upgrades are pretty safe. Doing core updates/upgrades are a bit more scary, but my crash&burn rate has been very low.

Tearabite, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  3. NickM

NickM Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually backing up database and /sites folder which usually have all additional modules, themes and uploaded content(images, PDFs, etc)

NickM, Apr 5, 2010 IP