1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Backlinks appear to be moving.

Discussion in 'Google' started by Smyrl, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine went up a couple hundred on most sites - down on the ones I've been really working on. Go Figure. ;)

schlottke, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  2. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All backlinks to one of my sites have disappeared. PR has held steady and still plenty of pages indexed. This was one of the sites where I was reasonably conservative and was actively doing three way link exchanges in addition to the normal reciprocal exchanges.

Mcdar's tool confirms this across all the datacenters when looking at the PR/Backlinks option.

Anyone else had this happen and any idea why?

jarvi, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  3. radsoft

radsoft Guest

Best Answers:
    How long does it take for links to show, because some of my recent sites have no new links but I got some added about a week ago.

radsoft, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  4. Percept

Percept Peon

Best Answers:
    A week might be to soon and if those new links are from PR4+ pages they'll probably not show up since they appear to be showing only PR2- pages ( to me they do ).

Can anyone confirm this PR2-and-less-only-backlinks please ?

Percept, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Just checked one of my sites. It shows links from sites with pagerank 4.

My page rank 5 links page is not showing as back link on any of the sites for which I have linked so it does appear they are skewing links toward low end of pagerank spectrum.

Shannon

Smyrl, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  6. TLDTrader.com

TLDTrader.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Google seems to be hiding the high PR links since the last back link update.

TLDTrader.com, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  7. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yup. On Webmasterworld the accepted wisdom seems to be that SERP movement and links being taken into account only happens at an update. And the funny thing is, nobody bothers to correct that statement when it's said. Given the size of many of the sites there, the webmasters can't be ignorant of that fact. It's a sort of passive misinformation. Or, mayeb they just don't have the energy to jump in for the millionth time this myth pops up!

But this time I AM watching PR very closely -- because I'm trying to sell text links!

rickbender1940, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    A curious and disturbing situation: a site that has long been PR 5, and continues to be reported across the Google datacenters as PR 5, is, in the Google Directory, shown at PR 0 (white bar, not grey. Nothing much has changed at the site, which, so far as I know is 100% clean and ethical.

Also, the Google Directory search does not even find the site, either by domain name or by description (though it finds some pages within the site), although it used to find both ways.

Hm. Just looked, and the same thing for another site, a PR 6 according to everything but the Google Directory.

Is this PR-less state just a transient hiccup as the update rolls, or am I looking at deep future trouble?

(Spot-checking acouple of other sites, all is as usual.)

Thoughts?

Owlcroft, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  9. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Owl,

I am not sure if you have read any of my other posts similar to this, but my main site has been dropping off Googe like crazy. I have emailed G to find out. Check if those pages still have a cached snapshot. That is a good indiciator. Were you at all involved with LinkPartners.com?

That is all I can attribute this to, for me personally.

My backlinks went up by 40, which is double almost for my site, but PR did not change.

NewComputer, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  10. rickbender1940

rickbender1940 Guest

Best Answers:
    2 pages of mine which went from PR0 to PR6 in the last "mini update" are now back to showing PR0!

rickbender1940, Aug 10, 2004 IP
  11. pstatus

pstatus Peon

Best Answers:

Are you suggesting that your are being penalized for using Linkpartners.. I have been using them for awhile.. and so are thousands of other people.

:confused:

pstatus, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  12. vorapolpanya

vorapolpanya Peon

Best Answers:
    my BLs are up around 600, mostly internal. no change in PR from google toolbar. but at Google directory, the PR drops 5 => 4.

the worst part is SERP is way way down.

totally lost here.. More BL => less PR in directory ==> way down SERP.

vorapolpanya, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, one thing to note is more back links do not necessarily equate to higher PageRank. A certain percentage of pages are PR10, a certain percentage PR9, etc. So if others add more links than you, they could go up, and you could go down (for everyone going up in PageRank, it's knocking someone else down).

digitalpoint, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  14. vorapolpanya

vorapolpanya Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting shawn..i was not awared of it before.

btw, can anyone confirm that the PR update in google directory is the first update in PR, then it's will propagate to all ( google toolbar ).

15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The PR in the directory has never first shown there and then propagated to the toolbar, so I don't think it's going to this time either. Not sure why PR doesn't update in the toolbar (it's usually instant, the second the new back link data is updated, the PR is updated at the same time... except for this and the previous update [no PR]).

But I can confirm that the PR showing in the directory is indeed up to date. This forum shows as PR7 in the directory for example, and it never was PR7 before, so I know it's not old data there.

digitalpoint, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  16. vorapolpanya

vorapolpanya Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks shawn....just do not want to believe that i went down:)...damn it.

17. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, and No, in order.

The point is that according to the available tools, such as McDar's, the PR across all data centers remains as it should be. It is only in the Google Directory that this bizarre phenomenon shows itself.

But if the Directory is a "leading indicator", that is scary.

I wish Google would hire two or three bright 13-year-olds to run the company: it would be a big improvement.

Owlcroft, Aug 11, 2004 IP
  18. web-inspect.com

web-inspect.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that will work Bob, as I too had this problem a few months ago. I uninstalled it a bunch of times and re-installed and it didn't work. You can uninstall it in Control Panel / Add & Remove Programs.

web-inspect.com, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  19. photo_shooter

photo_shooter Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm a newbie here, but how do you see your site's PR in the directory vs the toolbar?

Thanks

photo_shooter, Aug 13, 2004 IP
  20. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    "How do you see your site's PR in the directory vs the toolbar?"

Site listings in the Google Directory have a colored-bar image on the left; the length of the green bar signifies the PR. The length is quantized to 10 sizes, matching PR 1 to 10 (blank is PR 0--some say that a grey blank, as opposed to a white blank, signifies a site artificially set to PR 0 by Google for some reason, typically a penalty). If you are unsure by eyeballing the rather small images, you can look at the HTML source code for the page and count the width in pixels of the green-bar images.

Owlcroft, Aug 13, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.