1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Backlink Update

Discussion in 'Google' started by nacho45, Aug 30, 2004.

1. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Rick, the toolbar has not been updated for about 2 months now. The toolbar shows the PR of pages from the last toolbar PR update.

chachi, Sep 2, 2004 IP
  2. PR Weaver

PR Weaver Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Rick,

Thank you for sharing information about your tests. Could you tell me which site did you test?
    We have decided to make PR Weaver compliant with Google TOS, so we are not using the "cracked" algorithm for retrieving the PR. PR Weaver is based on Google API and uses its own method for retrieving the PageRank.
    In fact, you should find the same results in Google and in PR Weaver, but using such a tool makes you save a lot of time :)

About Google Directory: you may have noticed that Google has updated the Google Directory PR but still not the Google Toolbar PR. Unless Google updates the Google Toolbar PR, you should test the PR in the Directory (only for the sites indexed there, of course).

Feel free to comment about this and to give me more details about your tests.
    Best,

PR Weaver

PR Weaver, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  3. rbucich

rbucich Peon

Best Answers:
    The site I tested was bucich.net, It has relatively new and has been spidwered but has never has had PR as long as I can tell.

I only recently was added to DMOZ.

Google used to recognize 13 backlinks, although there are more. As of yesterday, it had drop to 5 and some of those were internal.

Thanks!

rbucich, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  4. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any ideas on why backlinks are dropping so much?

ResaleBroker, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  5. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Mine have increased on all but one site.

GuyFromChicago, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  6. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    It sounds like backlinks are all over the boards. Many have increased and many have decreased.

Any ideas on what is going on?

ResaleBroker, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    www.komar.org went from 240 to 281 ... so I'm not complaining ...

hulkster, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't seen any consistencies (all forum sig links dropped, directories not reported, themed linking, etc) in links coming or going. The one site where I did lose a couple of links I hadn't really planned on, but it was a minor drop (15 - 20 links out of 1000+).

I went through my reported links pretty thoroughly looking for some sort of pattern…couldn't come up with one :(

GuyFromChicago, Sep 3, 2004 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, GFC -- no discernible "pattern" -- nothing remarkable in terms of any shifts in ranking either. Just a "normal" minor Google update...

minstrel, Sep 6, 2004 IP
  10. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    seeing as this is the second BL update that has followed this pattern (or lack of pattern)- i'd have to agree with those who say it is to confuse SEO's - although as has been said it will probably only confuse the amateur/new "SEO" (not that i'm an old hand by a long shot). I think that google sees some danger in this area - if every webmaster learned how to optimise their sites - Googles results and ultimately google would become virtually worthless.

fluke, Sep 7, 2004 IP